An Interesting Comparison

Wheeling

1 hour ago, Wheeling said:

Saw this in a recent review of a different car. It is interesting to compare different SUV's in such a way and knows where each one is located. 

And ironically, the GV80 is the only one listed in that graph that does NOT come with an air suspension, optional or standard. "Competitive" is far too widely used as marketing BS to say "doesn't have all features as others."

No matter how well they tune the suspension, if it can't get me through a freak blizzard storm because of lack of ground clearance, I don't want it.

I'm more interested in if Ford made proper modifications to the 2021 model to account for the subpar ratings in the small overlap crash test the Aviator and the Explorer didn't do so well in. That and we need to see how the GV80 does in the IIHS crash tests and EuroNCAP AEB tests (since IIHS is too poor to do proper AEB tests).

Either way, the GV80 currently isn't financially competitive to me personally. Both optioned up the way I want, the Aviator is only a couple thousand dollars more than the GV80 and that's even with the "Air Glyde" suspension on the Aviator. No air suspension on the GV80 is a deal breaker for me anyways. The lack of Genesis dealerships is a huge red flag regardless.

Edited by Zhenocnra

4 hours ago, Zhenocnra said:

I'm more interested in if Ford made proper modifications to the 2021 model to account for the subpar ratings in the small overlap crash test the Aviator and the Explorer didn't do so well in. 

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/lincoln/aviator-4-door-suv/2020

Ford didn't wait for the 2021 model to make proper modifications... they fixed both the 2020 model Aviator and Explorer way back in May and had them retested!  And that original subpar rating would 'possibly' cause a left foot injury in one test... so I'm not losing any sleep over mine being built well before May!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/lincoln/aviator-4-door-suv/2020

Ford didn't wait for the 2021 model to make proper modifications... they fixed both the 2020 model Aviator and Explorer way back in May and had them retested!  And that original subpar rating would 'possibly' cause a left foot injury in one test... so I'm not losing any sleep over mine being built well before May!

That's great news! I guess I stopped waiting for the update to come along before they updated the site, lol.

Now if only they could fix the quality issues and we could finally see SYNC 4 added. The Aviator is one of very, very few vehicles that checks 90% of my boxes in this day and age.

6 minutes ago, Zhenocnra said:

Now if only they could fix the quality issues and we could finally see SYNC 4 added.

My Aviator GT was built on Dec 5th last year and I've had zero issues so far, knock on wood!  The 2021 models should be even better but they won't be getting Sync 4 yet... that may not happen until a mid cycle refresh.

19 hours ago, Wheeling said:

Saw this in a recent review of a different car. It is interesting to compare different SUV's in such a way and knows where each one is located. 

2021-genesis-gv80-3p5t-awd-advanced-plus-spider-1603303588.png

Thank you for sharing this interesting comparison data Wheeling sir, very nice.

Especially interesting is that the least powerful of the 4 (BMW X5 xDrive40i) has by far the fastest acceleration numbers both 0-60 mph and quarter mile and the most powerful (Lincoln Aviator AWD) has by far the slowest. When it comes to ICE powertrains for this vehicle class, BMW inline 6 + ZF 8HP transmission is the best around. Untouchable, actually.

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you for sharing this interesting comparison data Wheeling sir, very nice.

Especially interesting is that the least powerful of the 4 (BMW X5 xDrive40i) has by far the fastest acceleration numbers both 0-60 mph and quarter mile and the most powerful (Lincoln Aviator AWD) has by far the slowest. When it comes to ICE powertrains for this vehicle class, BMW inline 6 + ZF 8HP transmission is the best around. Untouchable, actually.

BMW also underrates their engines so the numbers from any BMW should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Some of the reviews of the GV80 show the 3.5L is not as fast as that graph indicates. 6.2 seconds for 0-60 MPH from Alex on Autos. The 2.5L is even slower.

Very disappointing. It's slower than the heavier, larger, and slightly more powerful Aviator (non GT).

Edited by Zhenocnra

1 hour ago, Zhenocnra said:

Per all of the reviews that are more recent, that's not an issue for the USDM production versions.

Thank you Zhenocnra sir, that's correct. USDM production GV80 has revised suspension tuning compared to the European or Korean Domestic Market versions, and also compared to pre-production USDM. Consumer Reports said USDM GV80's ride is taut but compliant. https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/genesis/gv80/2021/road-test/

"The ride, handling, and steering are impressive, making the GV80 very enjoyable to drive. It feels tied down and connected to the road, more like the European competitors than the floatier Acura MDX and Lexus RX. The ride is taut, although it has good compliance for absorbing road imperfections even with its massive 22-inch wheels. The body feels stout and substantial, contributing to a solid overall feel."

Edited by rperez817

45 minutes ago, Fleuve said:

Very interesting that the Cadillac XT6 wasn't included in this comparison. 

We moved out of a Mercedes ML to the Aviator and only cross shopped the Audi Q7 and BMW X5. I agree though, for many it's a natural comparison, much more so than the Genesis. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 11:40 PM, CoolScoop said:

My Aviator GT was built on Dec 5th last year and I've had zero issues so far, knock on wood!  The 2021 models should be even better but they won't be getting Sync 4 yet... that may not happen until a mid cycle refresh.

The all new updated Sync 4 system is going to be included on the 2021 Nautilus.
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/nautilus/2021/

The Aviator still comes with the older Sync 3 system that's been out for many years already.   
Many of the new 2021 Ford come with Sync 4 as well, so it's a bit disappointing. 
I really hope the 2021 Aviator will get a Sync 4 mid cycle refresh (before the 2022 model is released at least) 

I just ordered a 2021 Aviator Black Label Grand Touring a few days ago, but I'm starting to think maybe I should wait for the mid cycle refresh or even 2022 to get what I really want.   (and get my deposit back if so)

Sync 4 will probably be around for at least 3-4 years before Sync 5, if it's a similar upgrade cycle Sync 3 was out.

Thoughts?    If I can't wait, would it make sense or be silly to lease a 2021 with Sync 3 sooner and then BUY the 2022 with Sync 4 next year?
Edited by TronicJon

I just got a response from my Lincoln dealer:

"Hi Jon, I made a couple of calls and for the Aviator seeing how it came out in 2020 The Sync 4 won’t be available for this vehicle for a couple of years I am told"

(Ugh, Do you really think we will need to wait for 2023???)

11 minutes ago, TronicJon said:

I just got a response from my Lincoln dealer:

"Hi Jon, I made a couple of calls and for the Aviator seeing how it came out in 2020 The Sync 4 won’t be available for this vehicle for a couple of years I am told"

(Ugh, Do you really think we will need to wait for 2023???)

Its a major hardware upgrade.  They typically wait for the mid cycle refresh or at least a couple of years.

1 hour ago, TronicJon said:

So I guess I really want an Aviator Grand Touring still.  

My totally unbiased opinion:  a wise choice... it's an awesome ride, best of the best.  We absolutely love ours!  Plus the PHEV tax credit makes it a no brainer.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1