dummy acceleration question

haulingit

My wife test drove an Aviator yesterday.

She says the acceleration seemed delayed.

The two times she pressed hard, once was right after we turned onto the highway on-ramp, second was after turning around at an exit she was attempting to merge back onto the highway and accelerated to merge into the traffic.

My question is there anything about the Aviator that might explain this, such as drive mode setting?

The drive mode setting, I don't recall what it was on the first acceleration she did, but it was on Conserve the second acceleration.

I was busy talking both times, but I suspect that with the other vehicles she test drove she accelerated smoothly, but yesterday I think she stomped on the pedal.

Edited by haulingit

I don't notice a lag when I drive in Normal mode.   Conserve mode might have restrictions on immediate wide open throttle for, well, conservation of fuel.   My Aviator did have a lag from 1st to 2nd gear when I first got it, and they corrected it with a software upgrade to the drive train controller.    I've been driving my Audi Q7 a lot lately and when I got into my Aviator last night, the difference in acceleration is very noticeable.  The Lincoln is a rocket......

It definitely has a lot of power.

The Nautilus and Navigator have premium fuel spec'd.

While I was in the lavatory, my wife said the sales guy told her that the Aviator uses regular unleaded.

Before I went to bed, I saw on the Lincoln website that the power rating was based on premium fuel.

What is the recommended fuel for the Aviator?

3 hours ago, haulingit said:

It definitely has a lot of power.

The Nautilus and Navigator have premium fuel spec'd.

While I was in the lavatory, my wife said the sales guy told her that the Aviator uses regular unleaded.

Before I went to bed, I saw on the Lincoln website that the power rating was based on premium fuel.

What is the recommended fuel for the Aviator?

Hi haulingit. The recommended fuel is 87 octane and above. The minimum octane requirement is 87 octane, as per Lincoln and the Owners Manual.

And 87 octane is also the minimum required for the Nautilus and Navigator, so I am not sure where you obtained information that premium was required.

While full, advertised HP/torque are obtained using 93 octane, you can use 91, 89, 87 octanes. They will simply give correspondingly lower full HP/torque. Perhaps ~20HP lower when using 87 octane.

Just do not use any fuel lower than 87 octane.

More important than octane (assuming you use at least 87 octane, as required), is the quality of the fuel you use. Using a quality fuel, with full detergent and additive packages, is even more important with modern engines.

Therefore, it is best to use major, brand name fuels, as opposed to convenience store/bargain brands. And using "Top Tier" rated fuels can help assure quality.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

3 hours ago, haulingit said:

My question is there anything about the Aviator that might explain this, such as drive mode setting?

The drive mode setting, I don't recall what it was on the first acceleration she did, but it was on Conserve the second acceleration.

From Lincoln Aviator fact sheet: 

Conserve is an efficiency mode; the pedal response is less aggressive, while vehicle performance is tuned to optimize fuel efficiency.

There's a substantial deference in throttle/transmission response and ride/handling between Normal, Conserve and Excite on mine. It's performance is amazing on 87 octane... I haven't tried anything higher!

Edited by CoolScoop

17 minutes ago, haulingit said:

Sorry, I did not mean to imply premium was required for the Nautilus or Navigator, just that without it power is less.

Hi haulingit. That's okay. Just wanted to clear up that point.

And yes, it is the same for the Navigator, Aviator, Nautilus, Corsair, Continental, MKZ etc. 87 octane is the minimum requirement. Full, advertised HP/torque is obtained using 93 octane. And using 87, 89, 91 octane will see correspondingly lower maximum HP/torque output. And it is pretty much the same story for the vehicles from all manufacturers nowadays.

One point to keep in mind: For most drivers, the slightly lower max HP/torque is a non-factor. Unless you race your vehicle (race an Aviator?), or floor it in a consistent manner on the streets, the majority of drivers will never notice the ~20HP difference. And they will have a few more dollars in their pocket every fill-up. 

Good luck

Edited by bbf2530

I'll say two things: 

1) You will have some turbo lag on a twin turbo vehicle, so that may have been a factor. If you're not use to such, then it may stand out more than usual. 

2) Premium gas makes a big difference on the Ecoboost twin turbo platform. Car and Driver measured the performance numbers on a F150 that ran 93 vs 87—the numbers were pretty significant: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/ That's why I also run premium on the Ecoboost platform. 

D39D3DCD-41FC-47DC-93D3-6F6CEA5C2001.thumb.jpeg.918d38a64f3731f1e888ff143fc8d051.jpeg

21 minutes ago, DrBabbitt said:

Maybe for you, but you can search any Ecoboost forum and you’ll find plenty of people that experience it. 

You’ll find people who think they experience it but it’s usually the transmission or the ETC calibration.  Ecoboost turbos are small and spool up almost immediately.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, akirby said:

You’ll find people who think they experience it but it’s usually the transmission or the ETC calibration.  Ecoboost turbos are small and spool up almost immediately.

I agree with you on that. But turbo lag does exist on the Ecoboost platform (really any turbo charged engine)—I have driven many F150s with Ecoboost engines. Moreover, I occasionally notice it on my BMW as well. 

1 hour ago, DrBabbitt said:

I agree with you on that. But turbo lag does exist on the Ecoboost platform (really any turbo charged engine)—I have driven many F150s with Ecoboost engines. Moreover, I occasionally notice it on my BMW as well. 

Have you driven one with a modified throttle calibration?  9 times out of 10 it’s the built in ETC delay and not actual turbo lag.

I have had boost gauges on my MKS and Continental.  Punch the throttle at any speed and you have boost faster than you can say "boost."    When tuning my Continental, datalogs clearly showed a lag between accelerator movement and the throttle body opening....which is what many think is turbo lag.   Even though it was barely noticeable, we tuned that out.

• Like 1