The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Is Awesome Off-Road And Not So Great At Anything Else

probowler

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Is Awesome Off-Road And Not So Great At Anything Else

f9dl3zfp6ed4ufvmibiq.jpg
The way I see it, the Ram TRX is pretty much the truck equivalent of a supercar. It’s way more powerful than it needs to be, it’s never going to be used to its fullest potential by the vast majority of people who buy them, and making it really good at one discipline pretty much ruins its usability as a daily driver. Supercars are too stiff because they need to set a fast Nürburgring time. The TRX is too sloppy because it’s a 6,400 pound pickup built like a trophy truck.

This is a technologically fascinating truck, utterly impressive in almost every way. But everything that makes it impressive also makes it feel tone deaf in the face of the reality of 2020. The real unemployment rate in America is over 26 percent, more Americans are behind on their car payments than ever and the majority of American adults have less than $1,000 in savings. Not to mention higher vehicle grille heights are killing pedestrians, though not nearly as many as will be killed by global climate change.

But other than that, the truck is... you know... fine.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ram-1500-trx-is-awesome-off-road-and-not-so-gr-1845446807

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Man Jalopnik has fallen pretty far. It's hard to find anything they publish that isn't written with a clear agenda anymore. 

Agreed. I stopped reading when they kept harping on, in every article, that Ford was doomed for dropping most sedans in favor of CUVs/SUVs/Trucks.

Wow, that Jalopnik article is pure trash. Doesn't like the touchscreen because it can get dusty?  Whatta friggin' marooooon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a34429175/2021-ram-1500-trx-vs-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew/

Car and Driver puts the TRX ahead of the current Raptor. (of course with a new one on the horizon, that could change very soon).

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Wow, that Jalopnik article is pure trash. Doesn't like the touchscreen because it can get dusty?  Whatta friggin' marooooon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a34429175/2021-ram-1500-trx-vs-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew/

Car and Driver puts the TRX ahead of the current Raptor. (of course with a new one on the horizon, that could change very soon).

Yeah FCA really screwed themselves with the timing of that didn't they? Should have made this 2 years ago when they knew a new Raptor was a few years away. Instead they gave Ford a jump on reclaiming the crown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Man Jalopnik has fallen pretty far. It's hard to find anything they publish that isn't written with a clear agenda anymore. 

Maybe I was too sleepy when I first read this, or I'm just numb to the constant political doomsdaying from the "media" but that didn't even phase me at first.

Now that I'm re-reading it, I kind of regret sharing this and giving them clicks. 

I just wanted to talk about a truck ?

53 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah FCA really screwed themselves with the timing of that didn't they? Should have made this 2 years ago when they knew a new Raptor was a few years away. Instead they gave Ford a jump on reclaiming the crown. 

For as long as they've been showing TRX concepts, you woulda thunk this would have been out as soon as the latest gen had arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

When’s the new Raptor coming?  Might be two more years since nothing has been announced

This truck is so well done.  What an awesome change to see a big brawny 12 MPG vehicle come out in an era when all we hear about is silly electric vehicles.  It’s refreshing.  

A really good review I found was Alex on Autos on YouTube.  He must have been at a media event as he filmed next to a frame and it’s amazing how much of it is new. He also said the interior is still a few notches ahead of the new F-150 which surprised me.  I think that’s a testament to the amount of work Ram put into the 2019 1500.  He liked the truck but it really made him long for a successor to the SRT-10 Ram from years ago.  

I’m sure some people will be offended by his opinion but I find him very informative and fair.  Check out the review!

Edited by FR739
Misspelled a word
  • Like 1

I guess I numb to anything FCA does. Jamming the Hellcat into everything, doesn't really move the needle for me. Sure straight line performance is impressive but unless you really are taking this off road, it seems like a giant compromise to drive on the road. You can somewhat say the same thing about the Raptor but it seems to be a better daily. and doesn't require premium fuel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Pretty sure this will be the first vehicle that you will see a constant moving fuel gauge (from F to E) while idling...

10mpg city, 14 highway, 12 combined..  holy crap.

That's what my 351w gets.... but with 1/4th the HP.

Maybe I should do a Hellcat swap ?

Edited by probowler

Here is another review and first I've seen-looks like all the guys were in the same media event up near Lake Tahoe. I really like this truck and think it is forcing Ford to up their game also-which I have no doubt they will do. 

And do you think anyone who buys these trucks give a shit about fuel mileage or premium gas?  

Edited by kyle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kyle said:

Here is another review and first I've seen-looks like all the guys were in the same media event up near Lake Tahoe. I really like this truck and think it is forcing Ford to up their game also-which I have no doubt they will do. 

And do you think anyone who buys these trucks give a shit about fuel mileage or premium gas?  

The guy who wrote the Jalopnik piece is on the record as despising trucks, hence why he had all those links as to why trucks suck in the first paragraph. Why he was the one that went to review that is beyond me. If I were running that place he wouldn't have made the list at all. 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:02 PM, blwnsmoke said:

Pretty sure this will be the first vehicle that you will see a constant moving fuel gauge (from F to E) while idling...

10mpg city, 14 highway, 12 combined..  holy crap.

with every manufacturer these days dumping boring “green” vehicles into the market it’s nice to see a manufacturer not only go the other direction but see amazing success while doing it. 

Maybe there is hope for the future. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FR739 said:

with every manufacturer these days dumping boring “green” vehicles into the market it’s nice to see a manufacturer not only go the other direction but see amazing success while doing it. 

My F150 has 470 lb/ft and still gets 25 mpg on a daily basis.  Not mutually exclusive.

36 minutes ago, FR739 said:

The problem with FCA Stellantis is that's  all they do. You can do both and I think that's the balance Ford is trying to achieve at the moment until it's more clear what the BEV market is going to turn into. 

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Tesla only has so many carbon credits they can sell. Honestly those green vehicles are why a vehicle like this could even see the light of day in today's environment. 

FCA was going to be in deep S*** if they can no longer buy credits in the US and EU. Legislation is being introduced in parts of the EU as well as California that will no longer allow the sale of the credits past 2023 as companies must make the numbers or they can't sell cars no more just buying their way out. It is one of the driving forces of the PSA merger. FCA was the largest purchaser of Tesla credits and are the sole reason Tesla has posted a profit. 

• Like 1

FCA has gone on record saying they know they can't have Hellcat everything for much longer and they are going to offer what people want (ie: Hellcat type vehicles) until they are unable to any longer.

They ain't wrong. But they better be getting their next gen of fuel efficient (but powerful) vehicles ready while they enjoy these successes.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

It is one of the driving forces of the PSA merger.

Speaking of which, this probably deserves its own thread but whatever. FCA and PSA got regulatory approval in EU to proceed with their merger. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-m-a-psa-eu/fiat-psa-to-win-eu-approval-for-38-billion-merger-sources-say-idUSKBN27B0XO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Tesla only has so many carbon credits they can sell. Honestly those green vehicles are why a vehicle like this could even see the light of day in today's environment. 

FCA was going to be in deep S*** if they can no longer buy credits in the US and EU. Legislation is being introduced in parts of the EU as well as California that will no longer allow the sale of the credits past 2023 as companies must make the numbers or they can't sell cars no more just buying their way out. It is one of the driving forces of the PSA merger. FCA was the largest purchaser of Tesla credits and are the sole reason Tesla has posted a profit. 

Didn't Trump cancel some of those strict automobile regs?

Or if they did, are they not relevant to carbon credits?

5 hours ago, probowler said:

Didn't Trump cancel some of those strict automobile regs?

Or if they did, are they not relevant to carbon credits?

Carbon and Fuel Economy are different. Trump cancelled the harder fuel economy rules that were being reviewed and then Obama signed in lame duck. (GM and FCA lobbied hard for them to be removed) so they can just buy the FE Tesla credits. The EU emission requirements are a whole other animal as EU has regulated on tax of fuel and now is doing the CO2 which is why FCA buys the credits for the EU market and GM was like peace out. Eliminating the ability to purchase credits is currently proposed in CA in committee but no action on it. The EU might eliminate the ability to purchase the credits, but they also do a lot with taxes as well so if you eliminate the ability to purchase company cars (this is the way a lot of Europeans get a vehicle) or tax them based on emissions when they enter cities (or even if they are allowed to enter the city) you force it in another way. 

• Like 2