The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Is Awesome Off-Road And Not So Great At Anything Else

probowler

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

They ain't wrong. But they better be getting their next gen of fuel efficient (but powerful) vehicles ready while they enjoy these successes.

That is the grand question for everyone...BEVs have pretty good performance, but range and recharging times can leave alot to be desired with some people. 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:02 PM, blwnsmoke said:

Pretty sure this will be the first vehicle that you will see a constant moving fuel gauge (from F to E) while idling...

10mpg city, 14 highway, 12 combined..  holy crap.

I must say I was taken aback by this article.  It appeared to be overly critical, for no particular reason.  I mean, it is a desert runner so that is it’s primary mission.   It was interesting to hear the guys take on the truck basically criticizing everything accept its off-road capability.  I’m skeptical of some of his claims.  

With that said, I’m a Raptor owner that has had both gens, and I will say the onroad manners particularly the 2017+, are excellent.  Honestly the best of any truck I have owned, so it will be interesting hear from other testers on the TRX’s onroad manners. That was a complaint about the Mopar off-road kit that Ram had a while back.  

Regarding the fuel economy, the Raptors 6.2 was a guzzler, and it did get old filling up so often. My MPG computer rarely exceeded 11.5, so I wouldn’t expect the TRX computer to ever read Much better than 10, if they drive it like I do.  I was surprised the TRXs MPG is as bad as it is.  The 3.5 in my 2017 Raptor is a better motor than the 6.2, and gets significantly better gas mileage.  I don’t really expect a TRX owner to worry too much about the MPGs, but it is still a bit disappointing though.  It will be interesting to see where Ford ends up on the MPGs with the next gen Raptor. 

The knock on the TRX interior isn’t legitimate. I personally like the vertical screen verses the horizontal screen. The Ram interior is excellent and as it was suggested above I’m not convinced the 21 F150 interior will exceed that of the Ram, though I haven’t actually seen a 21 to compare. 

I am wondering how the TRX will be as a daily driver.  It seems like they did make it wider than the Raptor for the sake of making it wider.  The Raptor can be a PITA to park sometimes, so this thing will be worse.  

The best thing about the TRX is it will make my Fords that much better.  I have faith that Ford won’t be shown up in a segment they created.