Ford Salary

Earthshine

I worked 31 for the company.  My experience was that unless your immediate supervisor really like you, you would probably NEVER get out of the bottom quartile.

I had a friend who was a LL6.  She regularly fell BELOW the minimum, despite having above average ratings and HRs only response would be, "Wait for the next PR cycle."

A different friend was promised a "significant raise" when he complete a special Master in Business Engineering degree (this was at MIT; company paid for it, but it was a huge amount of work).  After completion of the course and some period of time, he contacted HR as to when he could expect his raise.  "Oh, you were above mid-point so we decided you did not need a raise".  He quit within 3 months.

Edited by theoldwizard

Broad ranges are common, not just at Ford but other industries as well. An average performer who is near the bottom of the range may get a larger increase than a top performer who is in the upper 1/4 of the range. A top performer at the maximum for the range will only get a raise same % as the range increase. Allowing someone to fall below minimum was frowned on unless an unsatisfactory rating was involved. Only people I knew who were above maximum were LL6s who accepted reduction to GSR. If you have been GSR 8 for say 5 years and receiving good reviews, you should be above average range. If you are below that average, time for some serious discussion with your LL6 or LL5. If you are uncomfortable with that prospect, may be time for a change.

• Like 1

Thanks @theoldwizard,@paintguy,

that’s helpful 

Ive always received somewhere between average to excellent performance reviews; never below average. However I am a little below the midpoint of the range, as of this year. I’ve discussed it with my supervisor, and he tried to get me an adjustment this year and it got me a little closer to the midpoint. I don’t recall when I became GSR8 but i would guess it was about 10-11 years ago. Sounds like I need to have another discussion with my supervisor. Thanks for your help 

19 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Thanks @theoldwizard,@paintguy,

that’s helpful 

Ive always received somewhere between average to excellent performance reviews; never below average. However I am a little below the midpoint of the range, as of this year. I’ve discussed it with my supervisor, and he tried to get me an adjustment this year and it got me a little closer to the midpoint. I don’t recall when I became GSR8 but i would guess it was about 10-11 years ago. Sounds like I need to have another discussion with my supervisor. Thanks for your help 

I have been retired for 13+ years, so things may have changed (but I doubt it).

You had better be a good talker and hope your supervisor will "go to bat" for you with the department manager.  Usually it takes an "outstanding" to get a larger raise.

(Flip Side - I think it was during the Nasser era, when it was decreed that 10% of the salaried  work force should be classified as "below average".  They would not get raises and unless their performance increased the following year they would face dismissal.  I got tagged.  When I asked the boss specifically why I was given a below average rating I was told, "I had to pick someone, so I picked you", probably because he knew I really liked my job.  That gives you such a nice warm feeling.)

Sadly, you may NEVER get past "midpoint".  Some people have people are just born with "the silver spoon in their mouth" (or are good brown nosers) and others are not.

Another "story".  Female who started working for Ford in her early 40s.  Quickly made it up to a Grade 8.  Already had one Masters (Mathematics) but went back and got a second (special one, designed for Ford, through Wayne State).  Took "extra" internal training.  Volunteered for various "task forces".  Always got "above average" reviews.  She was bucking for an LL6, but by the time she was in her 50s, she realized that hey age was against her.  Maybe it was because she did not play golf with the "good old boys".

• Like 2

• 1 month later...