Need some advice on heated seats...

REVTMOLO

Hey guys, The wife's 2017 Edge sport is having some trouble with the Passenger side heated seat (For clarification, this is the heated and cooled seat) which doesn't seem to be heating. I went to the dealer to have it looked at and the tech told me the heating element needed to be replaced. Now I've been poking around here on Blue oval trying to see what other people have done to try and resolve the problem and it seems strange to me that the seats don't have a heating element, but rather a blower to heat the seats.  These guys wanted to charge me $1100 to replace the seat heating element which to me seems ludicrous. They hit me for $230 on the Diagnosis, but man... I don't know whether someone is trying to get a pocket of cash out of me or what... I'm finding the fan blower for $110

Can someone help me to understand exactly how the seat is heated and what parts I need to possibly replace? I can see everything under the seat and if I remove it this doesn't seem that hard.

Then again, it seems things always start that way, don't they??

There are two "TED" (Thermo-Electric Device), one for the backrest and one for the cushion. They each contain a Peltier device, a blower motor assembly and a sensor to monitor temperature. They use the Peltier to either warm OR cool an element in the TED which the blower motor blows across and into the cushions. Without knowing which DTC's were retrieved, I cannot say which of the two you need, or if you need both, which is a possibility. Seat TED should pay about 1 hr. Backrest should pay closer to 2 hr. The TEDs list around $400 for the pair (seat and back are NOT the same parts). Both require at least partial removal of the covers which will require hogrings and hogring pliers for the back. 

IF you remove the seat cover you MUST recalibrate the OSCM. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:14 AM, MartyrOfBeauty said:

Here's a discussion on this exact subject https://somespeed.com/questions/how-warm-does-everybodies-seat-get-mine-does-not-seem-to-get-hot-just-barely-warm-is-that-correct/ People say that 2009 edge seat can boil an egg.

Non cooled seats use heating mats. They can get very hot, especially if they malfunction.