E&E News Investigation: GM, Ford knew about climate change 50 years ago

If it doesn't rain for months (like recently), it's climate change. If it rains for two weeks, it's climate change. Six inches of snow in a winter, or 4 feet, climate change. The reason why the latest hurricanes "appear" to be more devastating is because there are more people to be killed and more buildings to be destroyed now than in past decades. Every human exhales 2. 2 lbs. of CO2 per day.  The population of the USA and the world has probably doubled or more over the last 60 years.  So let's do away with people!  Trees take in CO2 and give off oxygen, but tree companies, if they had their way, would want to cut down every tree in the world!  Well they want to eat don't they?  Currently it's every tree within approx. 20 feet of power lines and roads, they want to cut.  After they finish that, they'll lobby for 40 feet.  It will never end!!  See anything wrong with capitalism yet?  But that's another issue.  All the cars and industrial plants don't emit the CO2 that human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes emit!  Planets, i.e. Earth are actually infinitesimally moving away from the Sun due to centrifugal force .  So let's not worry too much and believe these scientists who can't even predict the weather and who called Pluto a planet for 90 years but now it's not!  I wonder if we were experiencing global COOLING, they would stop building electric cars and return to manufacturing the most polluting vehicles they could make!

Edited by Joe771476
  • Like 4

While "Climate Change" is indeed real...it is changing because that is what the climate does (long before man came along).....Now, about me adding to it? I want to be a good steward of our planet, be responsible and not pollute our lands and waters, so I will be aware of my "emissions' so as not to negatively impact my neighbor.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

While "Climate Change" is indeed real...it is changing because that is what the climate does (long before man came along).....Now, about me adding to it? I want to be a good steward of our planet, be responsible and not pollute our lands and waters, so I will be aware of my "emissions' so as not to negatively impact my neighbor.

The changes in weather are getting more extreme but you're right that wether patterns in the Pacific

still flip between El Nino and La Ninja, so depending on which one we get either South America

or northern Australia get cyclones and driving rains/ mudslides in South America.

Technology is moving the needle but the biggest change we can make is giving up coal

to produce power, switching to gas and renewables gives us the time to come up with

better solutions. If every vehicle sold tomorrow was emission free, it would take two

decades for the changes to reduce total man made CO2 by 10%.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The changes in weather are getting more extreme but you're right that wether patterns in the Pacific

still flip between El Nino and La Ninja, so depending on which one we get either South America

or northern Australia get cyclones and driving rains/ mudslides in South America.

Technology is moving the needle but the biggest change we can make is giving up coal

to produce power, switching to gas and renewables gives us the time to come up with

better solutions. If every vehicle sold tomorrow was emission free, it would take two

decades for the changes to reduce total man made CO2 by 10%.

I LOL'd at 'La Ninja'!  ?

It's a shame the liberals have poo-pooed all over nuclear power throughout the years since it's about as green as it comes.  Of course, maybe I'm biased since I work at a nuke plant...

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I LOL'd at 'La Ninja'!  ?

It's a shame the liberals have poo-pooed all over nuclear power throughout the years since it's about as green as it comes.  Of course, maybe I'm biased since I work at a nuke plant...

LOL, autocorrect and tiredness brought me undone

Yes, even though environmentalists are against nuclear power, it would be a good way

to immediately give the planet a rest from CO2 spewing into the air for say, 50 years.

The French did it, allowing them to take the high moral ground on greenhouse gas emissions.

Not sure how far advanced safer, less polluting CANDU reactor was but it looked promising

with thorium (?) bead reaction chamber  ensuring a bigger safety margin.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

LOL, autocorrect and tiredness brought me undone

Yes, even though environmentalists are against nuclear power, it would be a good way

to immediately give the planet a rest from CO2 spewing into the air for say, 50 years.

The French did it, allowing them to take the high moral ground on greenhouse gas emissions.

Not sure how far advanced safer, less polluting CANDU reactor was but it looked promising

with thorium (?) bead reaction chamber  ensuring a bigger safety margin.

There were a lot of newer technologies that looked promising for nuclear power, but security and spent fuel storage are still big issues.  They're definitely not insurmountable, but I don't expect to see any new nukes built in the US.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

They want to reduce the carbon footprint.  This is a carbon based planet!  Without carbon and CO2, we would not be alive!!!  If trees can't take in CO2, they can't give off oxygen!  Let's wake up!

The difference between medicine and poison is in the dose. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere should keep around the equilibrium levels.

• 7 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:25 PM, FR739 said:

I think everyone would agree with that.  And when you step back that’s exactly where we are today.  More cars on the road than ever yet the air/water has never been cleaner.  

As for the Green New Deal.....the green is just all the money that has to be spent.  No thank you.  

Really? Most Western states have air quality so bad that their health is at risk with no end in sight. Most people I know have water purifying systems in their homes because they don't trust their water system. Miami streets flood almost every night when the tide comes in. Cameron, LA wa just wiped off the map. Much of the FL panhandle has never recovered from a category 5 hurricane. 

• Thanks 1

Metro Detroit just got its second flood of the century in 7 years. Flooded X ways and thousands of flooded homes. Meanwhile, hospitals in the west overrun with patients suffering from heat prostration. Back home, Key West is slowly sinking into the ocean. Condo highrises up and down the Miami coast are going to need billions of dollars in repairs from water damage. Weather events are more extreme and more frequent. Human beings can't deal with temps greater than 120 degrees for long. Add in humidity and good luck breathing. Many areas of the world will be uninhabitable in the coming years. 

57 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Many areas of the world will be uninhabitable in the coming years. 

A lot of those areas were not a permanent habitat for the tens of thousands years before the invention of A/C. We shouldn’t live in a lot of those areas as on top of the crazy energy use it causes massive changes to weather patterns as they change humidity and wind patterns with heat island and vegetation. 

Detroit/Michigan bigger issue is that they haven’t done any sort of maintenance on the drain systems in the past 50 years. When  the pumps fail and you haven’t cleaned out sewer pipes and dredged drains for sediment things flood. Including my basement ?

8 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

A lot of those areas were not a permanent habitat for the tens of thousands years before the invention of A/C. We shouldn’t live in a lot of those areas as on top of the crazy energy use it causes massive changes to weather patterns as they change humidity and wind patterns with heat island and vegetation. 

Detroit/Michigan bigger issue is that they haven’t done any sort of maintenance on the drain systems in the past 50 years. When  the pumps fail and you haven’t cleaned out sewer pipes and dredged drains for sediment things flood. Including my basement ?

And your point is? We have been waiting for decades for Congress to address infrastructure and climate change. This is not a partisan issue....it's a human issue. And we wonder why immigration is such a huge issue not only in America. Much of Iraq and Iran are turning to dust and those people are heading west and north. One hurricane after another hits central america and those people head north also. We are migratory also just like animals.

• akirby locked this topic