Ford earnings rebound big in Q3 2020

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir,  Jim Hackett defined it in terms of Ford's biggest challenge. "I don’t think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever... This company has to change"

There is a lot to work remaining until Ford is "fit" again, the good news as I mentioned earlier is that what Hackett has done since 2017 has turned Ford around. Jim Farley mentioned this in the Q3 earnings call. "We haven’t suddenly fixed the issues in our automotive business, but we have a clear turnaround plan to get that done."

There's a difference between "in trouble" and "planning for the future".  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

It’s a crucial product so ford better straighten that out fast. We already know about the bad launch situation. Hopefully the ones they are building now are more refined and the issues worked out cause they sell tons of them 

My local Ford dealer here in Crntral Fl just took delivery of a 2021 Explorer XLT and a Limited.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

There's a difference between "in trouble" and "planning for the future".  

Exactly...Ford has been trying to unfuck itself since 2017 when Fields left...and apparently there was alot of issues that where not taken care of after Mullaly left. 

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Holy shit, he actually told me how they’re still in trouble ?

As long as Ford stock remains in single digit territory, Ford will remain in trouble. How troubled is open to question, but troubled nonetheless especially when you factor in COVID. A vaccine will probably not be the magic bullet either. Many experts are saying COVID will be with us up to three years or longer.

• Like 1

This really isn’t indicative of Ford’s strategy.  Ford still faces a lot of issues as do all companies but nothing critical. 

These results are more indicative of the overall economy as shown by the staggering GDP numbers released today. 

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

As long as Ford stock remains in single digit territory, Ford will remain in trouble. How troubled is open to question, but troubled nonetheless especially when you factor in COVID. A vaccine will probably not be the magic bullet either. Many experts are saying COVID will be with us up to three years or longer.

You vastly overestimate how much covid is dragging things down... 

The economy at large is barely going to contract at all by the time the year is over.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/29/us-gdp-report-third-quarter-2020.html

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Sad part is, COVID should not be a factor.  It’s the most perfect “mountain out of a mole hill” example I’ve ever seen. 

Once we get people to understand that COVID is not the death sentence the media and some politicians want it to be, companies like Ford should be able to continued this trajectory of growth. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Sad part is, COVID should not be a factor.  It’s the most perfect “mountain out of a mole hill” example I’ve ever seen. 

Once we get people to understand that COVID is not the death sentence the media and some politicians want it to be, companies like Ford should be able to continued this trajectory of growth. 

Says you, Captain No Nothing. If you were as smart as you profess to be you'd be too busy to spew blather on forums all day.  Tell the 18-year-old in the video it's a mole hill.

Edited by MY93SHO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FR739 said:

I ran the total death numbers myself and we will see over 250K more deaths in 2020 than in any of the previous 5 years.   That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether deaths are classified as Covid or not Covid - just total deaths from all causes.   It's essentially the worst flu season ever extended for 8 months now and counting.  And that's WITH all the precautions that have been taken banning large crowds, etc.   Without those measures it would probably be in millions already.   It's true that most deaths are older folks and folks with other health issues but that does not make it insignificant.   And it's causing continuing problems for younger people.   Lose the political rhetoric and just look at the facts.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Sad part is, COVID should not be a factor.  

We can all wish that was the case, but Covid-19 is the deadliest pandemic so far in the 21st century, and the death toll keeps climbing. This will definitely affect Ford and the automotive industry overall for years to come. FordBuyer mentioned in another thread that the surge in Covid-19 cases recently resulted in absenteeism issues at automotive manufacturing plants.

Edited by rperez817

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

I ran the total death numbers myself and we will see over 250K more deaths in 2020 than in any of the previous 5 years.   That has nothing whatsoever to do with whether deaths are classified as Covid or not Covid - just total deaths from all causes.   It's essentially the worst flu season ever extended for 8 months now and counting.  And that's WITH all the precautions that have been taken banning large crowds, etc.   Without those measures it would probably be in millions already.   It's true that most deaths are older folks and folks with other health issues but that does not make it insignificant.   And it's causing continuing problems for younger people.   Lose the political rhetoric and just look at the facts.

There is a big group of folks called "longhaulers" that have long term problems like scarred lungs, continued bouts of fatigue, ministrokes, and so on. There is a lot to learn from this disease. I know a couple guys who were long distance runners before they got covid, and now months after still can't run a mile. So even if it doesn't kill you, it can change your life long term.

Also, when the hospitals fill up with covid and flu patients this winter, many others will die because of rationing and not getting much needed treatments.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford stock has nothing to do with those that think that Ford is in trouble. The stock is already starting to positively reflect the major product introductions about to take place and Wall Street is more confident with Jim Farley as the new CEO because of his background, dedication and enthusiasm. Even so, the media judges Ford by a different standard and bias and the large number of shares outstanding is also a factor.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, but both "in trouble" and "planning for the future" apply to Ford right now. Jim Farley acknowledges that.

You don't understand the difference between "in trouble" and "need to improve".  Much like a dozen other things you don't seem to understand about running a business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ice-capades said:

Ford stock has nothing to do with those that think that Ford is in trouble. The stock is already starting to positively reflect the major product introductions about to take place and Wall Street is more confident with Jim Farley as the new CEO because of his background, dedication and enthusiasm. Even so, the media judges Ford by a different standard and bias and the large number of shares outstanding is also a factor.  

Once you understand that you can make just as much money in the stock market on a stock that loses value you understand how little the stock market has to do with actual company health and performance. 

I mean, seriously - what impact does it have on Ford whether the stock is $8 or $80?   Absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, akirby said:

Once you understand that you can make just as much money in the stock market on a stock that loses value you understand how little the stock market has to do with actual company health and performance. 

I mean, seriously - what impact does it have on Ford whether the stock is $8 or $80?   Absolutely nothing.

Absolutely! Thanks for stating it so well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Not a single employee I've ever talked to thinks the company is doomed. Same with dealers. 

And to be honest, IDGAF what most investors say. 

Ford is far from doomed. Everyone wants to just dump on Ford and predict our demise. FOMOCO WILL BE FINE!

1 minute ago, akirby said:

You don't understand the difference between "in trouble" and "need to improve".  Much like a dozen other things you don't seem to understand about running a business.

Why pick on him?? He is one of the more thoughtful, learned posters on here. You can banter on about the semantics of what the word trouble means, but Ford is not out of the woods yet. Too early to know yet as hopeful would be a better word to use. Hopeful, but uncertain as reflected in the disappointing stock price and no guidance on any dividend date. Great news about Ford earnings, but one quarter is not a bellweather for anything. Uncertainty is the best description.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Thank you akirby sir, that's a compliment coming from you. What's important for Ford's future is that Jim Farley does understand Ford's predicament and acknowledges the company's troubles. And he has a plan that builds on Jim Hackett's work to address them.

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you akirby sir, that's a compliment coming from you. What's important for Ford's future is that Jim Farley does understand Ford's predicament and acknowledges the company's troubles. And he has a plan that builds on Jim Hackett's work to address them.

Gut reaction... Hackett "the hatchet" was the troubleshooter and Jim Farley is the CEO to now enact his own vision, built on Hackett's plan but putting his own long term commitment, automotive experience and enthusiasm to propel Ford forward to a more stable and profitable future. Yes, there are concerns in these uncertain times but for the first time in a long time but Ford's product plans are coming into better focus and the future prospects are better now than in years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

Says you, Captain No Nothing. If you were as smart as you profess to be you'd be too busy to spew blather on forums all day.  Tell the 18-year-old in the video it's a mole hill.

The fact is the death rate has plummeted from this and these lockdowns and mask mandates have done little to nothing to “curb the spread”. 

My state and our moron governor implemented a mask mandate months ago and it had zero effect on the number of cases yet deaths are way down from the peak.  Has it hit the elderly harder of course (packing elderly into nursing homes didn’t work that well). But for the vast majority of people it’s not that bad.  The effects of lockdowns, not sending children to school, etc are going to be far worse.  And most old people would rather get COVID and be able to see their family than not being able to see them.  

And with that I’m done on COVID.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Fact: Earlier this year (I think in February but I'm not 100% sure about that part) Dr. Birx said if we do everything right as a country the death toll would be around 200k this year. 

Also Fact per the CDC: 

6A627A1A-0F69-4BC0-A3D7-FCE8FD31861F.png

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Gut reaction... Hackett "the hatchet" was the troubleshooter and Jim Farley is the CEO to now enact his own vision, built on Hackett's plan but putting his own long term commitment, automotive experience and enthusiasm to propel Ford forward to a more stable and profitable future. Yes, there are concerns in these uncertain times but for the first time in a long time but Ford's product plans are coming into better focus and the future prospects are better now than in years.  

There is reason to be hopeful with Bronco, new F-150, and Mach E and Sport, but Ford by no means is out of the woods yet. As has been said already, Farley knows this and has stated as much. Meanwhile, God knows how much more the Focus and Explorer launch fiascos will cost over coming years. 

• Like 2