CR 2020 ranking of Active Driving Assistance systems

rperez817

34 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised Ford's Co-Pilot 360 ranked so close to Autopilot, as Ford's true SuperCruise/Autopilot competing system "Active Drive Assist" won't be out until next year, and it has been getting strong reviews.

CR said that Co-Pilot 360 Lane Keeping Assist worked particularly well.

"When it comes to lane keeping assist, Tesla did the best in our tests. But systems from Audi, Cadillac, and Lincoln performed almost as well. A good system will assist the driver by maintaining placement in the center of the lane and keeping the vehicle well within the lane boundaries."

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

CR said that Co-Pilot 360 Lane Keeping Assist worked particularly well.

While I haven't experienced it in other makes, the lane keeping, and especially lane centering under adaptive cruise control, feature of my Nautilus works quite well and is a joy to use on long road trips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised Ford's Co-Pilot 360 ranked so close to Autopilot, as Ford's true SuperCruise/Autopilot competing system "Active Drive Assist" won't be out until next year, and it has been getting strong reviews.

Because "Autopilot" is a bunch of lies that Musk keeps pushing and people keep eating up for some strange reason. Autopilot just got the ability to read speed limit signs and adjust accordingly. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/tesla-autopilot-now-detects-speed-limit-signs/ar-BB18veaj) Ford and even BMW has had that on EU cars 5+ years ago. GM and Ford are not as far back as people think in this world. Over the next 12 months people are going to realize that when Ford launches the MME. I have a feeling Musk is going to get nasty with Ford with tweets soon. 

2 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Because "Autopilot" is a bunch of lies that Musk keeps pushing and people keep eating up for some strange reason. Autopilot just got the ability to read speed limit signs and adjust accordingly. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/tesla-autopilot-now-detects-speed-limit-signs/ar-BB18veaj) Ford and even BMW has had that on EU cars 5+ years ago. GM and Ford are not as far back as people think in this world. Over the next 12 months people are going to realize that when Ford launches the MME. I have a feeling Musk is going to get nasty with Ford with tweets soon. 

Ford's models coming soon are already incorporating the speed limit sign technology. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I have a feeling Musk is going to get nasty with Ford with tweets soon. 

As long as competition among companies keeps improving these driving assistance systems and get us closer to Level 5 full autonomous driving, it's all good regardless of how nasty Elon Musk's tweets are. And if the American automakers keep their lead with these technologies, that's even better. :)

16 hours ago, rperez817 said:

As long as competition among companies keeps improving these driving assistance systems and get us closer to Level 5 full autonomous driving

Again, please stop with the hyperbole. Super Cruise is Level 2, nowhere near Level 5. Level 5 for consumers on open roads is still at the pipe dream stage.  

Super Cruise was superb, in my limited drive-time, and when it was willing to operate. It's a hyper-conservative approach to Level 2 autonomy — the level at which the driver must monitor the system, but can consider taking his or her hands off the wheel while being prepared to resume control when prompted.

Caddy bills Super Cruise as the first true hands-free self-driving technology for the highway, and if you accept the parameters, you can take your hand off the wheel for relatively long stretches and, if you keep you eyes engaged with the instrument cluster and don't defy the surveillance of the monitoring camera (which can deal with sunglasses and glare, by the way), it can feel as if an adult is piloting the vehicle.

But it really needs to stay in its Lidar-mapped box, on exactly the right type of freeway, to work.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-tesla-autopilot-compares-to-cadillac-super-cruise-2017-10#super-cruise-is-so-good-at-the-one-thing-it-does-well-that-im-going-to-give-it-to-cadillac-with-some-caveats-14

• Like 1