E Transit unveiling 11/12/20

• silvrsvt changed the title to E Transit unveiling 11/12/20

So will this be Ford’s second EV architecture?  It seems this will share a lot with the F150 but what about the Mach E?  Is that system unique or is a lot of that shared?  

Obviously the mission of the Mach E and F150/Transit are very different but I’m curious if these EV architectures can be scaled to fit many different types of vehicles. 

13 minutes ago, FR739 said:

So will this be Ford’s second EV architecture?  It seems this will share a lot with the F150 but what about the Mach E?  Is that system unique or is a lot of that shared?  

Obviously the mission of the Mach E and F150/Transit are very different but I’m curious if these EV architectures can be scaled to fit many different types of vehicles. 

Mach E was phase 1.   All of the later BEVs are using a phase 2 design.  I'm sure it's very similar across models with F150/Transit being larger and beefier.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Why is it frustrating?

Because people don't realize this was started before the partnership with Rivian was finalized. Same thing with the old Escape Hybrid. They may have used the Toyota tech as a starting point but by the time it made it to production there wasn't much, if any, of the Toyota system left. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because people don't realize this was started before the partnership with Rivian was finalized. Same thing with the old Escape Hybrid. They may have used the Toyota tech as a starting point but by the time it made it to production there wasn't much, if any, of the Toyota system left. 

Thank you fuzzymoomoo sir for the explanation. I'm happy that E-Transit is among the first BEV OEM commercial vans, just as Escape Hybrid was among the first hybrid SUV/crossover vehicles. To me, it doesn't matter what Ford does behind the scenes with its partners, as long as what they do gives them first mover advantage in the market.

Edited by rperez817

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because they won’t give Ford the credit it deserves for developing these vehicles.  Just like they assumed Ford bought their hybrid technology from Toyota.

What really counts is how successful the product is in the market, not which party in a partnership or collaboration between Ford and another company gets "credit". I'm sure E Transit will be a successful product, with its first mover advantage as among the first light-medium duty OEM BEV commercial vans coming to market. Just as the first generation Escape Hybrid was a successful product in its own regard as one of the earliest hybrid SUV/crossover vehicles to be mass produced.

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

What really counts is how successful the product is in the market, not which party in a partnership or collaboration between Ford and another company gets "credit". I'm sure E Transit will be a successful product, with its first mover advantage as among the first light-medium duty OEM BEV commercial vans coming to market. Just as the first generation Escape Hybrid was a successful product in its own regard as one of the earliest hybrid SUV/crossover vehicles to be mass produced.

He said it was frustrating as a Ford fan, not that it had any real business impact.

If someone incorrectly claimed that Tesla bought technology from someone else you'd be the first one to refute it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

He said it was frustrating as a Ford fan, not that it had any real business impact.

Those Ford fans need to get over it. They should be glad not frustrated that people recognize the partnership between Rivian and Ford, and that the partnership has a favorable impact, directly and indirectly, on E Transit coming to market soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Will the embargo break at midnight tonight, or will we have to wait for the intro itself?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm sure parts of embargo will be lifted past midnight such as some teaser photos and basic info and then the rest lifts upon reveal time. But then again, it may just only lift upon reveal time. Even then it's only less than 12 hours to go by now.