Dividing by zero? Ford planning an EcoSport Active

The "Active" subbrand as you may recall was supposed to be for hatchback and wagon with extra plastic cladding to pretend they are SUVs. First came Fiesta Active and then Focus Active. 

And then earlier this year, Ford surprised everyone by launching Transit Active... the van with extra plastic cladding to look like... I supposed SUVs. 

Now Ford appears to be launching an EcoSport Active... a SUV with extra plastic cladding to look like a... SUV? Yea, I'm not sure where to go with this one either. But it actually doesn't look that bad. The cladding helps with mask some of the odd proportion of EcoSport and make it look more normal.

Also if you read between the lines... I think this means no new EcoSport is coming soon. Ford is going to Panther Ranger Fusion Edge the EcoSport too. You can hear the chant already at the Ford dealer meeting... 4 more years! 4 more years! 

https://www.motor1.com/news/450998/2021-ford-ecosport-active/

2021-ford-ecosport-active.jpg

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

The "Active" subbrand as you may recall was supposed to be for hatchback and wagon with extra plastic cladding to pretend they are SUVs. First came Fiesta Active and then Focus Active. 

And then earlier this year, Ford surprised everyone by launching Transit Active... the van with extra plastic cladding to look like... I supposed SUVs. 

Now Ford appears to be launching an EcoSport Active... a SUV with extra plastic cladding to look like a... SUV? Yea, I'm not sure where to go with this one either. But it actually doesn't look that bad. The cladding helps with mask some of the odd proportion of EcoSport and make it look more normal.

Also if you read between the lines... I think this means no new EcoSport is coming soon. Ford is going to Panther Ranger Fusion Edge the EcoSport too. You can hear the chant already at the Ford dealer meeting... 4 more years! 4 more years! 

https://www.motor1.com/news/450998/2021-ford-ecosport-active/

2021-ford-ecosport-active.jpg

The subcompact Bronco Sport makes the Ecosport redundant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The subcompact Bronco Sport makes the Ecosport redundant.

Hardly. The Bronco Sport is larger and will be priced a lot higher than the EcoSport that now fills the entry level point now that Fiesta and Focus are gone.

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1

To be fair, I think the Ford Bronco Sport (FBS) lies in a gray area. Although more roomy than Escape Mk1 (partially due to the fact that vehicles are growing in size generation after generation), it is also smaller than the Jeep Compass (which may be seen as an entry car for that brand).

As for redundancy, the Bronco logo on the hood (together with all electronic and mechanical features to justify the name) will make FBS more expansive than an entry level crossover.

Regarding the Ecosport Active, we've been having a cladded "Storm" version of it as top trim level. In its defence it comes with more powerful engine and apparently more off road capability than the "Active" version.

However, having been around since 2012 in its current form, the Ecosport is way overdue for a new generation in international markets. And not many mules spotted so far...

ford-ecosport-storm-4wd.jpg

EcoSport Storm

flagra-nova-geracao-ford-ecosport-2022.j

NG EcoSport mule with Ka tophat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Bronco Sport is not a subcompact, it has slightly more interior room than a Gen 1 Escape.

Ford calls it a subcompact on their website. It is the length of other subcompacts on the market as well, however with its raised roofline, it has more cargo capacity than others in the segment. Someone in another thread had posted some metrics used to determine the segment and the sport fell into the compact range. I’d say it’s a “tweener” vehicle. Small compact or large subcompact. for comparison, its roughly the same size as the new trailblazer but with a taller roof.

949C4187-E6BF-4658-8055-074A0FDD4F14.jpeg

Edited by T-dubz

Edit,

Being definitely smaller than Escape helps with the suggestion that it's  next class down,

I'm not going to fight too hard on this because I understand the thinking behind this

and offering a short C against subcompacts was part of the plan.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I don’t think Ford needs to concern itself with try to fill that $20k slot, it’s one of the areas that make virtually no money and actually drags down the return figure Ford is trying to achieve.

its like selling a sub 10K car 10-20 years ago or a $4K car in the 1980s (Yugo)...your just selling units and making no $$$ on them

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

its like selling a sub 10K car 10-20 years ago or a $4K car in the 1980s (Yugo)...your just selling units and making no $$$ on them

Exactly,  It's a bone of contention because while dealers  make little or no money on selling them

they gladly welcome the almost guaranteed servicing and parts sales.

Ford's increase in percentage return on fewer vehicles sold directly conflicts with dealers getting less future servicing.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly,  It's a bone of contention because while dealers  make little or no money on selling them

they gladly welcome the almost guaranteed servicing and parts sales.

Ford's increase in percentage return on fewer vehicles sold directly conflicts with dealers getting less future servicing.

Yet there are those on here who are only concerned with driving-up the ATP,  which will result in fewer sales, less servicing & parts, fewer employees and plants needed.

HRG

45 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Yet there are those on here who are only concerned with driving-up the ATP,  which will result in fewer sales, less servicing & parts, fewer employees and plants needed.

It’s not that WE are concerned with higher ATPs.  We’ve just tried to explain why Ford wants to do that and why it can be a good business decision IF you have products that can support it.  Not all mfrs have products that can support it so another strategy may be better for them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fleuve said:

As much as I wanted to like th Eco sport, it needs to go away or use the plant to build a very tiny bronco. 

Well, let's start with the name Ecosport....go away. Puma is more like it. IMO, Ford needs an entry level vehicle. Young buyers need to start somewhere. There is always used, but Ford has always had an entry level vehicle. Maybe Maverick is it. We will see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s not that WE are concerned with higher ATPs.  We’ve just tried to explain why Ford wants to do that and why it can be a good business decision IF you have products that can support it.  Not all mfrs have products that can support it so another strategy may be better for them.

Exactly, commenting on what Ford's objectives are does not make us responsible for those decisions.

Also we  appreciate that cars went away before new utilities arrive, so the sales takeca hit ahead of next year.

Edited by jpd80

If indeed the Bronco Sport is going up against subcompact utilities, the price is also up there

so Ford is asking buyers to see the value in a fun vehicle. I wonder if that opens the door for

something like Puma in place of Ecosport as a subcompact soft roader?

A hunch that Maverick pickup and Puma could fill that low $20k entry point without too much bother.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 5:48 PM, FordBuyer said:

Well, let's start with the name Ecosport....go away. Puma is more like it. IMO, Ford needs an entry level vehicle. Young buyers need to start somewhere. There is always used, but Ford has always had an entry level vehicle. Maybe Maverick is it. We will see.

The Maverick is definitely going to be an entry level vehicle but I'm sure they'll market it to workers on job sites not the new freshman heading off to virtual college. They still need to send something different over here from India than the ecosport. 

• Like 1

Bronco Sport is launching with AWD only which is why the starting MSRP is a bit higher than other small compact utilities which are all standard FWD (except for Subaru Crosstrek). 

I suspect Ford will eventually come out with FWD version that are priced in the same starting MSRP as Jeep Compass or Chevy Trailblazer.

Or they will have another short compact utility based on the Maverick to fill that role. I don't really know but I agree with the notion that Ford needs to have a competent entry in the $20k area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Or they will have another short compact utility based on the Maverick to fill that role. I don't really know but I agree with the notion that Ford needs to have a competent entry in the $20k area. 

Not 100% how that would work-the Maverick is going to be a LWB C platform and didn't the recent spy shots show a multilink rear suspension on it too?

Otherwise wouldn't be just a low rent Bronco Sport? Maybe Ford is figuring they rather use the EcoSport because its just cheap for them and if someone wants something better, they'll just move up to an entry level Escape?

Just looking at Ecosports and Escapes in my area...the difference in price for a 60 month payment is "only" $30-40 per month for lower end models, but the Escape has better rates then the EcoSport, which is kinda interesting.