Another new V8 ?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Because the modular V8 is 30 years old? 

I don’t see the 6.8 completely replacing the  modular V8 in the Mustang. I see being used as the range topper models

I’m also assuming the 6.8L works better with natural gas conversions too. 

This would  have to be a key consideration assuming that is true.

Now the next question - is this a destroked version of the 7.3?  Or could this be a coyote with more cylinders?

Probably the former considering complexity and unit cost.  I bet the 7.3 costs a lot less to make than a 3.5 ecoboost which is where the business case is coming from.  Makes total sense for a top engine in F150.

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Now the next question - is this a destroked version of the 7.3?  Or could this be a coyote with more cylinders?

Probably the former considering complexity and unit cost.  I bet the 7.3 costs a lot less to make than a 3.5 ecoboost which is where the business case is coming from.  Makes total sense for a top engine in F150.

It doesn't sound like it has anything at all to do with Coyote, and I highly doubt Ford ever makes anything bigger than a V8 ever again. 

2 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37374/6-8-liter-windsor-pushrod-v8-coming-to-2022-ford-m

I guess I don’t see the point unless this is similar to what Chrysler does with the 6.4L SRT V8 and the 6.2L Hellcat V8.  But a .5L difference doesn’t seem like it’s worth the effort when they would be covering that many bases.  I’d love to see what a modern designed 5.8L could do in terms of power.  Talk about a throwback.  Having the 5.0L and 351ci in the lineup would be so cool.  

I am glad that it’s pushrod though.  I think GM and Chrysler have proven that pushrod V8s are fantastic engines and the packaging advantages are huge.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FR739 said:

I guess I don’t see the point unless this is similar to what Chrysler does with the 6.4L SRT V8 and the 6.2L Hellcat V8.  But a .5L difference doesn’t seem like it’s worth the effort when they would be covering that many bases.  I’d love to see what a modern designed 5.8L could do in terms of power.  Talk about a throwback.  Having the 5.0L and 351ci in the lineup would be so cool.  

I am glad that it’s pushrod though.  I think GM and Chrysler have proven that pushrod V8s are fantastic engines and the packaging advantages are huge.  

The 6.8 is the Hurricane Boss not a Windsor. A smaller 7.3.

Get ready for a bored and stroked 6.2 Boss engine with possibly 3 valve heads because I have a strong feeling we’re gonna be very surprised with this one. 

The tooling on the 6.2 is far too underused to abandon this quickly. There may even a Coyote version of the 6.8. Ford has a huge amount of investment in the Coyote design. 

11 minutes ago, SteelyD said:

The 6.8 is a smaller displacement 7.3 Hurricane Boss Godzilla. DUH

So you're saying that Brian Wolfe started with the original 6.2 block and  just changed it enough

to get 7.3 litres, added pushrod and wedge heads?

Yeah I can go with that. So why didn't they build the 7.3 on the existing 6.2 line?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteelyD said:

The 6.8 is a smaller displacement 7.3 Hurricane Boss Godzilla. DUH

Its two different engine families. 

Hurricane/Boss is the 6.2 splayed-valve OHC engine 

Godzilla is the 7.3 in-line valve pushrod V8.  

They share the same 4.53” bore spacing but are much too different to say they share the same architecture. 

The Boss is a better performance foundation with more HP potential than Godzilla if displacement is relatively close. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The only thing Godzilla shares with the Boss is the bore spacing dimension.

Deck height, timing cover, oil pump, water pump are all different as is cam in block.

They also share main and rod journal diameters. 

Ford pretty clearly started with the Boss and then engineered a cheaper 7.3 pushrod engine out of it. 
They are definitely different architectures for sure but Godzilla pretty clearly wasn’t a carte blanche clean sheet design. 

53 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Get ready for a bored and stroked 6.2 Boss engine with possibly 3 valve heads because I have a strong feeling we’re gonna be very surprised with this one. 

The tooling on the 6.2 is far too underused to abandon this quickly. There may even a Coyote version of the 6.8. Ford has a huge amount of investment in the Coyote design. 

No domestic small block V8 to date has as much inherent potential as the Boss architecture.

The idea of a 4V cylinder head (or even a larger valve/larger port version of the current 6.2 splayed-valve SOHC 2V head) on a 4.53” bore spacing pretty much makes every other 4.400” spacing pushrod V8 eternally irrelevant. 

It’s up to Ford to take advantage of those advantages, hopefully the 6.8 is exactly that.  

Edited by White99GT
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, White99GT said:

They also share main and rod journal diameters. 

Ford pretty clearly started with the Boss and then engineered a cheaper 7.3 pushrod engine out of it. 
They are definitely different architectures for sure but Godzilla pretty clearly wasn’t a carte blanche clean sheet design. 

Absolutely, otherwise Brian Wolfe would have opted for a wider bore spacing to avoid using those cooling slots

in the top of the block, make it 4.63", a modern low deck FE but I'm digressing....

If Ford was looking to make a 6.8 Boss, why wouldn't it just give the 6.2 a siamesed bore block like the 7.3?

We know that the 6.2 engine line is ending before 2022, so whatever is planned will come on 7.3 architecture.

The 6.2's shorter  3.74 crank stroke  would indeed turn a 7.3 into a revived 6.8 and from there, the sky is the limit.

Edited by jpd80

It’s just seems like the 6.2 line was underutilized.  
I’m still holding out hope for 6.2 with 7.3 bore diameter and larger valves.
I’m really hoping Ford sticks with that “no pushrods in the cars” mentality. 

I’m not impressed with Godzilla at all.  It’s not setting new performance benchmarks by any stretch.  
Even that 12.5:1, aluminum rod, 8000 rpm 7.3 Brian Wolfe built (790 gross crank HP) was underwhelming.

23 minutes ago, White99GT said:

It’s just seems like the 6.2 line was underutilized.  
I’m still holding out hope for 6.2 with 7.3 bore diameter and larger valves.
I’m really hoping Ford sticks with that “no pushrods in the cars” mentality. 

I’m not impressed with Godzilla at all.  It’s not setting new performance benchmarks by any stretch.  
Even that 12.5:1, aluminum rod, 8000 rpm 7.3 Brian Wolfe built (790 gross crank HP) was underwhelming.

Just remember that those heads were intended for truck use not screaming to 8,000 rpm.

They're much smaller than the 6.2 Boss's sewer ports, so whatever Ford is planning will be different..

Also, port  EFI generally  doesn't play well with longer duration cams, a proper carb tunnel ram manifold

would have given a lot more power. The torque curve peaked at 558 lb ft but stayed almost flat up to 7500 rpm,

whatever Brian was doing wasn't out and out max horsepower, with E85, that would be a mean street engine.

Edited by jpd80