Ford Motor team had to plead with Bill Ford to give back not-yet-released Mustang Mach E

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I get that Bill Ford loved the Mach E so much that he didn't want to give it back

but Ford has made more than three hundred pre-production Mach Es this year.

Why they wanted that particular one back is beyond me.....

Makes for good marketing  ?‍♂️

• Like 1

The lead-in photo of the light blue Mach E with the more traditional-looking "grille" is a huge improvement on the appearance of this electric vehicle.  I hadn't seen this version before.  It makes the Mach E more resemble an Edge--itself one of the more attractive CUVs, in my humble opinion.  The big blank "plug" I have usually seen on the front of the Mach E's is very off-putting to me.  In fact, it's what I've disliked about almost all electric cars to date: designers just don't seem to have figured out yet what to do with the front of the vehicles.  The Model Y, for instance, looks like it has an awkward overbite.  The front of the Model X looks like a group project at school where the kids responsible for the lower part never turned in their work.  The Model S kind of  avoids the big, blank space by making the nose more wedge-shaped.  But, to be clear, the "plug" on the front of the Mach E is most definitely not the answer to the styling question. Besides, can you imagine what that big, flat, painted surface is going to look like after 10,000 miles?  Just the road debris and bugs alone will make it look like swiss cheese.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoomerSooner said:

The lead-in photo of the light blue Mach E with the more traditional-looking "grille" is a huge improvement on the appearance of this electric vehicle.  I hadn't seen this version before.  It makes the Mach E more resemble an Edge--itself one of the more attractive CUVs, in my humble opinion.  The big blank "plug" I have usually seen on the front of the Mach E's is very off-putting to me.  In fact, it's what I've disliked about almost all electric cars to date: designers just don't seem to have figured out yet what to do with the front of the vehicles.  The Model Y, for instance, looks like it has an awkward overbite.  The front of the Model X looks like a group project at school where the kids responsible for the lower part never turned in their work.  The Model S kind of  avoids the big, blank space by making the nose more wedge-shaped.  But, to be clear, the "plug" on the front of the Mach E is most definitely not the answer to the styling question. Besides, can you imagine what that big, flat, painted surface is going to look like after 10,000 miles?  Just the road debris and bugs alone will make it look like swiss cheese.   

The one with the fake grille is the GT model, all others get the “slit” surround/grille-less fascia that you don’t like.  I also agree that I like the GT’s “grille” fascia.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, jpd80 said:

I get that Bill Ford loved the Mach E so much that he didn't want to give it back

but Ford has made more than three hundred pre-production Mach Es this year.

Why they wanted that particular one back is beyond me.....

An engineer left his resume in the back seat... ?

• Haha 1

Someone found some of the EPA numbers for the Mach-E. If they’re true they’re disappointing.  300 miles is a good number to shoot for. I was ok with 270 as a penalty for AWD. The EPA number for long range AWD appears to be 250, which stinks if true. It’s not enough to make me cancel, but if Broncos were easy to come by I’d probably consider it more seriously. 

4 hours ago, sullynd said:

Someone found some of the EPA numbers for the Mach-E. If they’re true they’re disappointing.  300 miles is a good number to shoot for. I was ok with 270 as a penalty for AWD. The EPA number for long range AWD appears to be 250, which stinks if true. It’s not enough to make me cancel, but if Broncos were easy to come by I’d probably consider it more seriously. 

Maybe you’re not the only one having second thoughts, I can imagine quite a few other reservation holders changing their mind after seeing Bronco.....but it is quite a long queue.

Ford doesn’t seem to be saying much about Mach E, we should know soon enough.

Edited by jpd80

19 hours ago, sullynd said:

So it's 250 vs. 270 for AWD and 288 vs 300 for RWD?   

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe you’re not the only one having second thoughts, I can imagine quite a few other reservation holders changing their mind after seeing Bronco.....but it is quite a long queue.

Ford doesn’t seem to be saying much about Mach E, we should know soon enough.

Mike Levine said it would be later this month 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Range equals "fuel" storage ability...will the aftermarket come up with bigger battery packs not just for Mach E, but for all EV's similar to how the aftermarket makes bigger fuel tanks for ICE powered cars and trucks?

The only way that will happen is if you fit the more energy in the same footprint. Your still beholden to the physical footprint of the battery area like you would be with a fuel tank. 

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The only way that will happen is if you fit the more energy in the same footprint. Your still beholden to the physical footprint of the battery area like you would be with a fuel tank. 

Or find creative locations to put additional batteries.  I’m somewhat surprised that Ford didn’t put the hybrid battery behind the seat in the F150 like the old in cab fuel tanks.

• Like 1