2022 Ford Expedition Interior Spy Shots Show Huge New Infotainment Screen

And, not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but aren't prototypes just that? Versions in which testing occurs to make possible changes to further prototypes? I'm an airline pilot. That is how it has always been with airplanes, anyway. 

It doesn't matter. The screen looks obnoxiously big. My infotainment screen in the navigator can dim pretty darn low at night and not be bothersome. 

7 minutes ago, Black Label said:

And, not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but aren't prototypes just that? Versions in which testing occurs to make possible changes to further prototypes? I'm an airline pilot. That is how it has always been with airplanes, anyway. 

Those are design prototypes and we never see those.  By the time pre production prototypes hit the street the design is set but the finishes and minor details are usually not the final versions.   But you can bet that’s the production screen.

On my "miniscule" 8 inch display in my MKC, I have to scroll through the settings display to turn it off...I have always thought that a phyiscal button near the screen on the dash or a "virtual" button on the home screen to shut off the display would be extremely handy. Of course, to reactivate the screen just simply touch the screen (like I can do now) to turn it back on. I actually like the display off in the early AM on my way to work.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Those are design prototypes and we never see those.  By the time pre production prototypes hit the street the design is set but the finishes and minor details are usually not the final versions.   But you can bet that’s the production screen.

Gotcha, and again, I admit I have no idea how it works in the auto industry, so I defer to guys like you.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why is Ford getting rid of the wiper de-icer on EVERYTHING? 

Can save $10 a unit,  I’ve never understood why Ford doesn’t just offer a cold weather package like they did on the 2020 Explorer. Heated seats front and back, the wiper deicer, (fully heated windshield, like they offer in Europe would be even better) heated wheel, and heated washer nozzles. I wonder if Canadian versions also loose the heated wiper park as well, all the Asian competitors offer them as standard. (Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Kia) Until existing Ford owners say I didn’t buy another Ford car because you eliminate the features I had from my previous one Ford will continue to decontent things. Ambient lighting in the f-150 was an example, people were pissed on the forums and added it back but it’s not like Ford added it back for 2021. 

The overall decontenting for 2021 is bad. It shows they are going for Wall Street performance and would rather post higher profits.  The best product Ford will make is coming out over the next 12 months, after that they will be back to making cheap stuff and the surprise and delight features going away. Ford will have record profits over the next 2-3 years then it will be building cheap trash in 3 years with tons of quality issues as we need to delete things and beat suppliers up for lower prices and then will be getting reorganized in 5-6 years. Someone from the outside will be brought in to fix the company for 2-3 years, they will leave and an insider will be promoted with great product coming out and record profits at the end of those 2-3 years for about 12 months, the record profits and then the cycle repeats. That has been Fords business for the last 50 years, problem is each time they come back they have less market share and eventually it will be no more Ford. Honestly they have 2 maybe 3 of those cycles left before they just turn the lights off or stick the For Sale sign on Michigan Ave. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Can save $10 a unit,  I’ve never understood why Ford doesn’t just offer a cold weather package like they did on the 2020 Explorer. Heated seats front and back, the wiper deicer, (fully heated windshield, like they offer in Europe would be even better) heated wheel, and heated washer nozzles. I wonder if Canadian versions also loose the heated wiper park as well, all the Asian competitors offer them as standard. (Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Kia) Until existing Ford owners say I didn’t buy another Ford car because you eliminate the features I had from my previous one Ford will continue to decontent things. Ambient lighting in the f-150 was an example, people were pissed on the forums and added it back but it’s not like Ford added it back for 2021. 

My 15 Lariat didn't have it but my 18 does. 

It's barely powerful enough to make a difference in the cold, wet and icy Atlantic Canada winter we have here. My wipers keep icing up. But then again, we get more freezing rain than snow. 

The European fully heated windshield would've been a better option for the Canadian market. 

On 11/6/2020 at 11:48 AM, 92LX302 said:

My 15 Lariat didn't have it but my 18 does. 

It's barely powerful enough to make a difference in the cold, wet and icy Atlantic Canada winter we have here. My wipers keep icing up. But then again, we get more freezing rain than snow. 

The European fully heated windshield would've been a better option for the Canadian market. 

You should have the dealer look at that, the one in my parents Edge heats up pretty fast, the annoying thing is that it turns on/off with the rear window defroster so it ends up turning off in heavy snow just at the point where it’s starting to get the glass hot enough. 

The heated windshield (quick clear) would be a great option for norther climates, that and headlight washers from all the grime and salt and sand spray. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 2:30 PM, jasonj80 said:

The overall decontenting for 2021 is bad. It shows they are going for Wall Street performance and would rather post higher profits.  The best product Ford will make is coming out over the next 12 months, after that they will be back to making cheap stuff and the surprise and delight features going away. Ford will have record profits over the next 2-3 years then it will be building cheap trash in 3 years with tons of quality issues as we need to delete things and beat suppliers up for lower prices and then will be getting reorganized in 5-6 years. Someone from the outside will be brought in to fix the company for 2-3 years, they will leave and an insider will be promoted with great product coming out and record profits at the end of those 2-3 years for about 12 months, the record profits and then the cycle repeats. That has been Fords business for the last 50 years, problem is each time they come back they have less market share and eventually it will be no more Ford. Honestly they have 2 maybe 3 of those cycles left before they just turn the lights off or stick the For Sale sign on Michigan Ave. 

Isn't it interesting that after a few years drifting along, Ford reverts back to type,

which tends to be the lowest quality build tolerable by ~85% of customers with

zero comfort margin for other production or supply  errors creaping in.

• Like 1