Heated Steering Wheel Shortage for 2021?

alpha1847

I'll admit, being a little passive aggressive here, but why does Ford make it so hard to get a heated steering wheel on the new Bronco?  Doesn't look like you can get it on Big Bend and you have to get $3600 Lux package on Outer Banks?  For a vehicle designed to maximize open air driving, seems like a disappointing choice.

Edited by alpha1847
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, probowler said:

Very poor choice by ford. Hopefully they correct it in future models by increasing availability.

A feature like this should be available in a stand-alone winter package with heated seats and mirrors. Would be amazing if ford offered heated wipers or front windshield too

I have also wondered about the odd packaging for the Bronco. There should have been a Cold Weather Package offered all across the board (standard on First Edition or even Wildtrak) that could have included the heated front seats, mirrors, and steering wheel plus vinyl floor liners. The floor liners could still be offered as standalone options too. This is how it's offered on other vehicles in Ford's lineup. There should also have been separate packages for Safety (front camera, adaptive cruise control, etc.) and Tech (power plugs and extra USB ports plus Sync4 Navigation system, etc.) as well for the Bronco trims. I still like the idea of Mid, High, and Lux packages too for those customers to choose even more options in a bundle for savings if they want all the included items. But the Cold Weather, Safety, and Tech packages, with their own clever names of course rather than just Safety and Tech, would be good for customers only needing a few things without having to pay thousands for the High or Lux packages for many other things they don't need. The B&O sound system should also be standalone option instead of having to upgrade thousands of dollars to Lux Package if one doesn't need all the other included items.

Other standalone options should be locking rear diff for Base and locking front diff for Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks to go along with their already-offered standalone locking rear diff. I can understand different ratios other than 4.7 (exclusive to Badlands and Sasquatch Package) but should at least offer locking diffs as standalone option instead of having to get the Sasquatch Package. Speaking of this, I wonder if they can make Advanced full-time 4x4 system as standalone option too without having to upgrade to Sasquatch Package. The available locking front diff and Advanced full-time 4x4 system would make the Black Diamond a good buy rather than having to go up to Badlands. I get Ford wants customers to get the Badlands for more profit but they can still make Badlands exclusive with the electronic sway bar disconnect. Seeing how Black Diamond and Badlands come with hose-out vinyl interior with drain plugs, why not offer this as option on other trims too? Or at least a regular vinyl floor via carpet floor delete as offered on some other vehicles like Ford F-Series. I know Ford is listening to customers so hopefully most of what I listed and some others are suggesting can make their way onto the 2022 model year.

• Like 2

My wife won't drive a vehicle without a heated steering wheel - and we generally do not buy the very top trim level - so that equates to never being able to buy a Ford for my wife. 

Too bad!  Note to Ford and their high ATP/upsell strategy:   Winter happens even to those who don't drive the 'platinum' level of vehicles.  I would gladly pay for a winter package with a heated wheel/seats that we really need, but will never pay for all the 'platinum' trim with features that we will never need.  My wife drives a 'moderately' equipped foreign brand vehicle that seems to recognize that winter happens to non-top trim vehicles too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Too bad!  Note to Ford and their high ATP/upsell strategy:   Winter happens even to those who don't drive the 'platinum' level of vehicles.  I would gladly pay for a winter package with a heated wheel/seats that we really need, but will never pay for all the 'platinum' trim with features that we will never need.  My wife drives a 'moderately' equipped foreign brand vehicle that seems to recognize that winter happens to non-top trim vehicles too!

That used to be a thing but sometime between MY2016 and MY2019 they started phasing the cold weather/winter packages out. My fusion has the cold weather package but it didn't come with a heated steering wheel. Really the only thing we got for the extra few hundred bucks was heated side view mirrors, heated seats and all weather rubber floor mats, not the one thing I really wanted. Needed to upgrade to the Luxury package to get a heated steering wheel and we weren't about to pay an extra $30 a month for literally only 1 (turns out 2 since the memory seats in the Flex have been way more useful than I originally thought they would be and I wanted them all along) extra feature we really wanted. I get needing to streamline production and all that but leaving 1/3 of the country (and Canada) out in the cold like that is a little much. 

yes, pun absolutely intended ;) 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...