Mach E platform to be used for another vehicle.

9 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Now can we keep the politics out of the Mach-E thread?  Lets go back to bashing Hacket and his plans...

Thank you 92merc sir. The criticisms of Hackett are very minor compared to what he accomplished getting Ford on the right track. Mustang Mach-E wouldn't be what it is without his leadership. Hackett's "design thinking" expertise is evident with Mustang Mach-E.

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Exactly. Biden has said on day 1 he will ban fracking and pretty much end all US offshore drilling. That's going to spike fuel prices and cripple the economy at large. 

Yep.  There goes America’s energy independence.  Now we will be able to start paying foreign countries for the same stuff because we have this dangerous mindset that human life should not impact the planet at all. 

Also I think it's pretty clear on where I stand on the threat of COVID. So dangerous certain leaders won't even follow their own edicts. But I'm supposed to believe it's the most dangerous thing to have ever existed. GTFOH with that garbage. 

This “plandemic” was weapon used from the start.  Never has it been as bad as we are told.   Frankly, everything we’ve been told is a lie.  Masks work, we must shut down, heck even the WHO said it can’t pass human to human.  It’s all been wrong. 

And interestingly, even though I can’t stand the guy, Musk was tested recently.  Took 4 tests in a row.  Same test, same nurse, etc.  2 came back negative and 2 came back positive.  And I bet you anything California counted his two positive tests as two new cases.  

I think anyone who isn’t a blind follower of the media knows this was here far sooner than they told us.  A good number of my coworkers has all the symptoms a year ago.  No hysteria, no no shutdowns.  People got sick, then they recovered.  Some died.  People die every day. This hits people in poor health harder but that’s true with any illness.  

It would be interesting to know what would happen if there wasnt the unmitigated hysteria, media and political lies, etc what would have happened.  I bet we would have been much better off.  

• Like 1

Current low fuel prices are mostly due to a glut of supply, once usage goes up again prices will rise.

In saying that, I see very little change in the next six months due low global activity (Yurup, USA & China)

Fingers crossed that sales of large trucks and utilities continues unabated and all plants remain open

in spite of the current circumstances (infection rate is probably much greater than being reported)

18 hours ago, FR739 said:

I think they are righting a lot of wrongs.  Hackett made a lot of poor decisions and I think Farley recognizes that and is taking steps to correct that.  This battery development is an example of that.  Ford is (for some reason) pushing very hard into EVs and it only makes sense to make your own batteries.  

That’s laughable.  The *only* think Tesla has going for it is tech. And even that is pretty poor (autopilot?).  But the cars themselves are complete junk. Quality is abysmal, bumpers fall off in the rain etc.  

It would be no different than Apple making a car (although you can bet everything you have Apple wouldn’t have the immense problems Tesla has and the products would be of much higher quality). 

I dont think I wrote out my point well enough. I wasn't comparing them as competitors. I was not saying one is just as good or not as good or any of that.

I don't want to get into that argument because I don't care about other peoples preferences.

I was pointing out that people keep using this term "tech" the wrong way. By definition, both Ford and Tesla are "tech" companies, implementing their own tech into the automotive world. Just because one is electric and is combustion doesn't mean they both aren't technology. In that respect, Tesla is not a tech company, but just another automaker, implementing a different technology. I hope that make sense. 

Also, I think it's kind of weird how much Americans specifically drag Tesla through the mud. NOT speaking of any particular comments here, I've been thinking this for quite some time... but It seems unnecessary, and even malicious at times. I would think we would be more excited and supportive of our very own engineers and designers making such impact on the world. The automotive industry is changing fairly quickly, for the better I'd say but that's a matter of opinion; Tesla is a huge part of that. 

Tesla is far from perfect, we could go on and on about the s*** they get wrong but this is innovation. Innovation isn't so easy, for any of our automakers. Let's push more people and companies to be more innovative, and deal with the mistake along the way. That's how we figure it out and build better. 

My 29 cents...

Edited by Willwll313wll
Clarification
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Current low fuel prices are mostly due to a glut of supply, once usage goes up again prices will rise.

In saying that, I see very little change in the next six months due low global activity (Yurup, USA & China)

Fingers crossed that sales of large trucks and utilities continues unabated and all plants remain open

in spite of the current circumstances (infection rate is probably much greater than being reported)

Good chance we find out how well ford has positioned himself.....msrp on fake mach may be an insurmountable issue for many

45 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Also, I think it's kind of weird how much Americans specifically drag Tesla through the mud. NOT speaking of any particular comments here, I've been thinking this for quite some time... but It seems unnecessary, and even malicious at times. I would think we would be more excited and supportive of our very own engineers and designers making such impact on the world. The automotive industry is changing fairly quickly, for the better I'd say but that's a matter of opinion; Tesla is a huge part of that. 

Tesla is far from perfect, we could go on and on about the s*** they get wrong but this is innovation. Innovation isn't so easy, for any of our automakers. Let's push more people and companies to be more innovative, and deal with the mistake along the way. That's how we figure it out and build better. 

My 29 cents...

The reason some of us are so critical of Tesla is because the press and the greenies have gone overboard declaring them successful and ridiculing the other mfrs for not doing what Tesla is doing.  But they are completely ignoring the financial aspect.  Ford can’t go for 10 years without turning a profit selling vehicles.  The current business model isn’t sustainable.  

Imagine how many F150s Ford could sell if they cut prices by 25%.  Sales would easily double if they could make that many, but they’d go out of business pretty quickly.   Tesla needs to raise prices to improve profit margin, but the. You lose sales volume and that enormous fixed overhead becomes a problem.   And now they have to compete with major mfrs who are experts at volume production and cost control.

If you want to call Tesla a proof of concept or an engineering exercise or a lab experiment I’d say it’s successful.  But don’t worship them until they can turn a consistent profit with real competition and without magic government credits.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, snooter said:

Good chance we find out how well ford has positioned himself.....msrp on fake mach may be an insurmountable issue for many

There's just no telling with Mach E, some dealers are optimistic that in the flesh, it will sell itself.

My concern is about actual sales depth beyond the first twelve months, what sales settle down to.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

.........If you want to call Tesla a proof of concept or an engineering exercise or a lab experiment I’d say it’s successful.  But don’t worship them until they can turn a consistent profit with real competition and without magic government credits.

Well put. 

I heard this on Autoline Daily last week.  Without selling EPA credits to other manufacturers, Tesla would have lost $600 million dollars so far this year.  They have yet to turn a profit selling cars.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Well put. 

I heard this on Autoline Daily last week.  Without selling EPA credits to other manufacturers, Tesla would have lost $600 million dollars so far this year.  They have yet to turn a profit selling cars.  

That’s pretty much it for me.  The asinine business model and the fact they do not build anything that resembles a quality product.  If Ford or any other manufacturer put out products that abysmal in terms of quality (I’ll ignore the new Explorer and Aviator here) they would be excoriated, and rightly so.  If Ford or any other manufacturer had a CEO that was as arrogant, narcissistic, and dishonest as Musk they would be excoriated, and rightly so. But because it’s Tesla we are supposed to ignore all of that. 

Frankly I don’t think anything Tesla has done has been innovative. I think any of the mainstream auto manufacturers could have done what Tesla has done.  The reason they didn’t is the market is laughably small and it’s not profitable. Will It be someday?  Sure.  I think the fact that more mainstream manufacturers are wading into the EV pool shows that you can do it and make a profit.  But none of them are as aggressive as Tesla and their product standards are much higher which means they are spending more money per unit.  

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

So that's Ford producing stock to orders but not yet on sale or OK to buy/ship.

Job #1 is the start of regular production (10/26/2020) which starts with Dealer stock orders first. I have VIN  numbers for stock Mach-E and Bronco Sport orders that are either in the plant or produced. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

This is why Mach E is so important and probably why it needs a companion to rival the Tesla 3.

Call me stupid but I think Ford needs to take Tesla head on and not wait for GM of the Germans.

it’ll be interesting to see how the 3 does as the Y becomes more widely available.  (Would be more interesting if the Y was a real CUV).  I posit the success of the Model 3 is in spite of it being a sedan. 

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

So that's Ford producing stock to orders but not yet on sale or OK to buy/ship.

Yeah, that's normal. They don't want to produce too many before OKTB so they don't have too many sitting around that need to be reinspected/fixed. There's only so much room on the grounds for holding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

This is Job #1 production for both vehicle lines!

Thank you ice-capades sir! My wife and I are hoping that the Mustang Mach-E we ordered arrives at our dealership before the end of the year (even better, before Christmas). But if we have to wait until the start of 2021 that's fine too. 

1 minute ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you ice-capades sir! My wife and I are hoping that the Mustang Mach-E we ordered arrives at our dealership before the end of the year (even better, before Christmas). But if we have to wait until the start of 2021 that's fine too. 

We'll all know better once they reach the "OK to Buy" status and units start shipping. I'm anxious to see how it looks in person compared to the photos. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, if you're referring to the business model of mass producing and selling ICE powered cars and trucks that is correct.  

But yet Tesla can't make a profit unless it sells CAFE credits to companies that sell ICE power cars...quite a dicomity