Mach E platform to be used for another vehicle.

42 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The vast majority of people will be driving an electric car in 15 years; once you drive one you really don't want to go back to an ICE vehicle, they are slower, rougher and are not as fun to drive. It is the reason people deal with all the problems Tesla have, even with a ton of problems they are smoother and more powerful than ICE. Mach-E is going to change that though.  

This was on Autoline Daily several weeks back.  Somebody recently surveyed 110 Powertrain experts from all over (OEM's, suppliers, etc.).  The consensus was that EV's would only make up 13% of the market by 2030.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Deanh said:

range isn't the only issue...their environmental signature and the damage the mining does to the environment somehow never enter into conversations regarding "cleanliness " then theres ultimately all the chemical utilized and ultimately their disposal...along with batteries......

You are spot on. People that push EVs conveniently leave out the fact EVs are just as harmful to the Earth if not more.  There’s no free lunch. 

And don’t get me wrong.  I’m fully willing to give an EV a try as soon as they can do the very basic things an ICE vehicle can (range, towing, and time to refuel).  But until then they are a status symbol.  

As much as I “raise an eyebrow” at the range of an E-Transit, I think the vehicle itself is more interesting than the Mach-E.  Mainly in that it’s has to cover a much more broad area of the market than the Mach-E.  And I think it’s application is far more important than the Mach-E (nothing against the Mach-E but it fills the same niche as Tesla). 

EVs have their place but to state that everyone will be driving one in 20 years is absolutely laughable.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Time will tell. And it will be well into the future even if it does happy. The used vehicle market is a 40+ million/year sales market and almost all ICE and is not going away any time soon. Add in the growing collector vehicle market and even if you are only 35 years old, you will not see the demise of ICE.

Not to mention the boating industry, small engines, etc.  

Nobody wants to cut up a tree with a battery powered chain saw.  

48 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Not so sure about that,  just replaced my ICE lawn mower with EGO battery job, what a great mower. As for marine, while pulling my boat this fall for the season, I saw a new 20 ft  Center Counsel  with an electric outboard.  So quiet, almost like sailing.  The worse thing about screaming along at cruising speed in outboard is the fact that you have to yell in order to communicate with some else in the boat.  If I has slip rather than a mooring I would consider an electric outboard.  As for chainsaws, most home owners could get by nicely with he EGO chainsaws.  B&S Should be worried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Yet more and more people are trading in their old chainsaws for battery powered units,

sure they're not ideal for all application but I think the march of technology is there.

2 hours ago, FR739 said:

Not a battery powered chainsaw, but I do use an electric chainsaw.  Just plug it in, and cut away.  I prefer it to my ICE Husqvarna.

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, I owned a 1983 GLX convertible 5.0 with manual trans. It was triple black with red pinstripes. Sold it in 2000 for decent money since it never saw winter. Saw a 1984 GT yesterday convertible in same paint scheme in pristine condition. These fox body V8 Mustangs are really starting to move up in value. A nice one will easily move into $15,000 territory. Only thing I didn't like about mine was the wheel hop over crappy Michigan roads. Traction bars didn't help much. But the 5.0 burble with top down was glorious. Long live the Fox body V8 Mustang. 

If I don't get a S550 generation at one point, I'm going to get a fox body and put the drivetrain of a 2018+ in it. Almost pulled the trigger and bid on a SVO on BIAT about a month ago but didn't because it doesn't make financial sense for me now.

Also my holy grail is a 69 or 70 Mach 1, preferably a red one but I'll take what I can find as long as it has 3 pedals.

36 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Yep I heard about that.  Not extremely impressive.  Plus the entire tow boat industry is much bigger and this is one boat that takes an hour and a half to recharge.  And based on how people use boats on my chain of lakes that short run time would be a no go.  There’s no “days out in the water”.  Much like with vehicles you are stuck to trips close to home.  There’s no grabbing lunch at the marina and fueling up while you’re there.  

Oh and it’s costs $293,000 dollars.  What a joke.  

Now the diesel powered Nautique G23 and G25 are very cool.  But me personally, I’d opt for the 600hp/608tq 6.2L GM V8 from PCM or the 7.4L V8 from Ilmor if I we’re getting a MasterCraft. 

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Not a battery powered chainsaw, but I do use an electric chainsaw.  Just plug it in, and cut away.  I prefer it to my ICE Husqvarna.

Right but those are two fundamentally different saws.  

As an example, a relative recent got a batter powered leaf blower.  It’s 20 amp so it’s not for heavy leaves or clippings but she was tired of dragging cords around.  

It doesn’t work that great surfaces other than concrete so, despite her best intentions, she went back to using the corded blower as it’s far more powerful.  And with her battery blower, the battery life is not that great, she will burn through a battery before the first one is done charging.  

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

You are spot on. People that push EVs conveniently leave out the fact EVs are just as harmful to the Earth if not more.  There’s no free lunch. 

And don’t get me wrong.  I’m fully willing to give an EV a try as soon as they can do the very basic things an ICE vehicle can (range, towing, and time to refuel).  But until then they are a status symbol.  

As much as I “raise an eyebrow” at the range of an E-Transit, I think the vehicle itself is more interesting than the Mach-E.  Mainly in that it’s has to cover a much more broad area of the market than the Mach-E.  And I think it’s application is far more important than the Mach-E (nothing against the Mach-E but it fills the same niche as Tesla). 

EVs have their place but to state that everyone will be driving one in 20 years is absolutely laughable.  

Well when countries and states start charging extra for plates/fees or ban people from driving in certain areas the change happens real fast. Sure you can have a gas powered car you just can't drive it on the road without paying $2000 for licenses plates or even drive it into a metropolitan area. When the EU/China/California say you're going to do this the industry goes that way as that is 60 million units a year, you're not going to spend resources in something that has limited appeal or sales potential. Also if you get a vehicle that drives better, has significantly less maintenance cost, and can be recharged at the same time rate as gasoline why wouldn't you. You're correct everyone won't be driving an EV in 20 years but 70%+ of the US market will be, and in the EU and China it will be well into the 90's by forced regulation. 

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

The lawn guys that cut my house switched over to battery powered commercial mowers this year, he'll never go back to gas. He put solar panels on his trailer that charge the batteries for the blowers/trimmers/saws. Mowers last a day and a half before he has to charge/change batteries. He doesn't have the issue with people yelling at him for cutting grass at 8am as they are almost silent outside of the yard, he has no fuel costs or having to carry fuel on the trailer, maintenance cost is minimal, and because of the way the motors can adjust the cuts are much better. He said he break even was less than a year for the added costs of the mowers. For most applications electric will replace most everything in lawn care by 2030 that change will happen way sooner than vehicles will.

Boats and Planes will take awhile though; a Hydrogen fuel cell boat makes sense.

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm 20 feet in the air, I don't want to be dealing with a cord on top of everything else. 

I've actually used my electric chainsaw to limb spruce trees 20 feet up, but I was on a scaffold.  The electric chainsaw is smaller and lighter, ideally suited for limbing trees and brush.  For felling trees, it's the ICE Husky all the way.

48 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The lawn guys that cut my house switched over to battery powered commercial mowers this year, he'll never go back to gas. He put solar panels on his trailer that charge the batteries for the blowers/trimmers/saws. Mowers last a day and a half before he has to charge/change batteries. He doesn't have the issue with people yelling at him for cutting grass at 8am as they are almost silent outside of the yard, he has no fuel costs or having to carry fuel on the trailer, maintenance cost is minimal, and because of the way the motors can adjust the cuts are much better. He said he break even was less than a year for the added costs of the mowers. For most applications electric will replace most everything in lawn care by 2030 that change will happen way sooner than vehicles will.

Interested in his setup if you happen to know what brands he is running. I run 60" gas mowers. I was looking at the electric weed eaters when I needed to add a new one to the line up, but everything I saw was barely homeowner grade dewalt/ryobi stuff. Definitely interested in switching in the future, but everything I've seen looking isn't anywhere close to on par with commercial power levels and then run time/charging issues.

2 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

Interested in his setup if you happen to know what brands he is running. I run 60" gas mowers. I was looking at the electric weed eaters when I needed to add a new one to the line up, but everything I saw was barely homeowner grade dewalt/ryobi stuff. Definitely interested in switching in the future, but everything I've seen looking isn't anywhere close to on par with commercial power levels and then run time/charging issues.

I had to replace my 25 year old MTD riding lawnmower a few years back.  I looked at a battery lawnmower, but couldn't justify the steep price.  The Ryobi that I looked at a Lowes was nearly $3,000.  I ended up buying a $600 ICE Troy-Built.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I had to replace my 25 year old MTD riding lawnmower a few years back.  I looked at a battery lawnmower, but couldn't justify the steep price.  The Ryobi that I looked at a Lowes was nearly $3,000.  I ended up buying a $600 ICE Troy-Built.  

Fuel is one of my biggest expenses.. if a combination of solar/truck power can charge the batteries with the same performance it'll be a pretty quick payoff for me.. but can't be waiting on batteries to charge or be slowed down by subpar performance. My fleet is getting up there in age and replacement time is coming, guess we'll see where the tech/cost is at when the times comes.

16 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

Stihl has an entire lineup of battery powered tools.

I have the 20V max DeWalt blower and it works just as well as my old stihl gas blower.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Stihl has an entire lineup of battery powered tools.

I have the 20V max DeWalt blower and it works just as well as my old stihl gas blower.

I've used some of the DeWalt yard tools, and they work fine for homeowner type stuff, but they don't compare to commercial grade ICE tools.

I also own a restoration/speed shop and I've almost completely switched to DeWalt 20v tools from air (no good battery options for a da, die grinder, etc), so I'm not against battery if I'm giving that impression.. just saying it's not there yet for commercial lawn service from what I've seen.

Didn't realize Stihl had gotten into battery tools though, I'll check that out.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Ditto.  I've also got the small DeWalt shop vac and it works great (along with the drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw and flashlight).  Thinking about the small chainsaw for limbs and possibly the weed eater as well.  Love the DeWalt battery-powered stuff.

54 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

I've used some of the DeWalt yard tools, and they work fine for homeowner type stuff, but they don't compare to commercial grade ICE tools.

I also own a restoration/speed shop and I've almost completely switched to DeWalt 20v tools from air (no good battery options for a da, die grinder, etc), so I'm not against battery if I'm giving that impression.. just saying it's not there yet for commercial lawn service from what I've seen.

Didn't realize Stihl had gotten into battery tools though, I'll check that out.

I was only talking about home use for DeWalt.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/battery-products/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mackinaw said:

And that’s my entire point.  That is exactly why electric things are going to be slow to take off.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Check the AP line (pro grade) and their backpack batteries.

Definitely check out the EGO line. All of their battery powered equipment has interchangeable batteries and seems to be at or near the top of comparisons with other brands. I have the leaf blower and it is great.

4 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Not 100% sure but I think Mean Green or something, there are Dino claws on it. I can look when he does the cleanup next week — I do know they are green. The trimmers are Stihl, The solar panels were his additions on his enclosed trailer for the equipment. The mowers however have solar panels on them too but are part of the mower. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Make a Lincoln and call it the Capri.

Lincoln has previously used the name and the name has association with the Mercury rebadge of the Fox Body to the Mustang nameplate.

History nerds like myself are satisfied lol

I like that idea. I think if Lincoln uses the platform it will be more in line with a BMW X6.