Mach E platform to be used for another vehicle.

Between these two and the stuff now from Ryobi at Home Depot and Craftsman at Lowes, never knew there was so much available.  I think E-Go is coming out with their home tractor next year.  I am ready to give up my gas trimmer and blower right now.  Might wait a few more years on my tractor, it only has 230 hours on it over 10 years of use.

https://meangreenproducts.com/

https://egopowerplus.com/

27 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Seems inevitable there will be more BEVs. Getting more than one vehicle on a platform makes sense, just as it does with ICE. Some debate online that MachE is largely C2 based. Any info from those in the know?

As far as I know a lot of the switchgear and electrical components are common with C2, and possibly a lot of the HVAC equipment that hasn't been modified to work with battery power rather than pulley driven. 

17 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Interested in his setup if you happen to know what brands he is running. I run 60" gas mowers. I was looking at the electric weed eaters when I needed to add a new one to the line up, but everything I saw was barely homeowner grade dewalt/ryobi stuff. Definitely interested in switching in the future, but everything I've seen looking isn't anywhere close to on par with commercial power levels and then run time/charging issues.

It is this one with the solar panels on it, (https://meangreenproducts.com/cxr5260/) I'm assuming he did that as it looks like there is a tax credit for it too. 

On 11/12/2020 at 9:33 PM, rperez817 said:

Ford CEO Jim Farley not only considers Tesla to be legitimate, he specifically listed Tesla along with Amazon, Apple, and Baidu as "the competitors Ford must address". Farley is a very smart businessman, he knows that those high technology giants among others will eat Ford and other incumbent automakers alive if the incumbents aren't able to change and adapt to the ongoing revolution in the automotive industry quickly enough.

Farley's counterpart at VW, Herbert Diess, recognizes Tesla's huge lead over incumbent automakers in BEV, autonomous vehicle technology development, software engineering, and system integration capabilities. Diess said "Yes, it is going to be a race with Tesla". https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-strategy/volkswagen-accelerates-shift-to-electric-autonomous-era-idUSKBN27W1R7

Edited by rperez817

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Farley's counterpart at VW, Herbert Diess, recognizes Tesla's huge lead over incumbent automakers in BEV, autonomous vehicle technology, software engineering, and system integration capabilities. Diess said "Yes, it is going to be a race with Tesla". https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-strategy/volkswagen-accelerates-shift-to-electric-autonomous-era-idUSKBN27W1R7

Yep, Tesla is a tech company that happens to make vehicles. There is nothing special about the vehicle itself with its funky front end, poor fit and finish, and minimalist interior. It's the tech inside it and the integration of it. 

Look at Space X and how everything is so integrated. I saw the launch from my front lawn the other night. Incredible. Meanwhile, rival aerospace giant Boeing is years behind Space X. Boeing's last launch failure was due to SOFTWARE problems. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Make a Lincoln and call it the Capri.

Lincoln has previously used the name and the name has association with the Mercury rebadge of the Fox Body to the Mustang nameplate.

History nerds like myself are satisfied lol

It was also used on this car... I'm actually a big fan of this Mazda 323 based Capri but most people hate it or are indifferent I guess.

A Lincoln version of Mach E makes sense but I think there is no need to recycle old names.

1024px-1991_Mercury_Capri_XR2_Turbo_road

3 hours ago, paintguy said:

Seems inevitable there will be more BEVs. Getting more than one vehicle on a platform makes sense, just as it does with ICE. Some debate online that MachE is largely C2 based. Any info from those in the know?

Mach E is not C2 based. The original C-Max replacement was going to be C2 based but Hackett scraped that car and the project started from scratch. 

Ford refers to Mach E has its own platform and it has a completely different suspension geometry and safety cell from C2 so they don't share many drivetrain or chassis parts - and I don't think Ford can build Mach E and C2 on mixed assembly line... which was the reason for converging C1 and CD4. The whole point of Mach E is to leave all the legacy ICE stuff behind so it can be optimized as EV only. But there is probably a lot of component sharing... things like interior switchgear, HVAC system, electronics (e.g. ABS and stability control system and programming), SYNC 4 etc.

I think C2 and Mach E relationship is going to be similar to CD6 and S650 Mustang... different platform but lots of component sharing. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Mach E is not C2 based. The original C-Max replacement was going to be C2 based but Hackett scraped that car and the project started from scratch. 

Ford refers to Mach E has its own platform and it has a completely different suspension geometry and safety cell from C2 so they don't share many drivetrain or chassis parts. The whole point of Mach E is to leave all the legacy ICE stuff behind so it can be optimized as EV only. But there is probably a lot of component sharing... things like HVAC, electronics (e.g. ABS and stability control system and programming), SYNC 4 etc.

Many people misunderstand the vehicles beginnings under C2, it was an outcrop development and of course,

the skateboard chassis and suspension would necessitate a different crash protection zone.

The whole point of running it under C2 was to use a cost centre that could support it's development with

standardised construction process and build sequence  along with as many existing suppliers as possible.

Ford was keen to avoid the mistake of developing a completely unique platform that shared nothing with 

it's existing ICE based C2 platform, this was not going to be a "Volt".

Far from being a clean sheet, the original BEV C-Max  design was massaged to form a more purposeful and desirable

vehicle that shed it's FWD compliance vehicle proportions and became an athletic  RWD/ AWD utility. A major part of

that was moving the front wheels further forward, it completely changed the look of the vehicle as it was given a more

swept fastback look, all of those body changes made possible because the tophat is C2 based supply and construction.

Over 840 built last month at Cuautitlan as the plant ramps up this month, it won't be long until we start seeing them at dealers.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Many people misunderstand the vehicles beginnings under C2, it was an outcrop development and of course,

the skateboard chassis and suspension would necessitate a different crash protection zone.

The whole point of running it under C2 was to use a cost centre that could support it's development with

standardised construction process and build sequence  along with as many existing suppliers as possible.

Ford was keen to avoid the mistake of developing a completely unique platform that shared nothing with 

it's existing ICE based C2 platform, this was not going to be a "Volt".

Far from being a clean sheet, the original BEV C-Max  design was massaged to form a more purposeful and desirable

vehicle that shed it's FWD compliance vehicle proportions and became an athletic  RWD/ AWD utility. A major part of

that was moving the front wheels further forward, it completely changed the look of the vehicle as it was given a more

swept fastback look, all of those body changes made possible because the tophat is C2 based supply and construction.

Over 840 built last month at Cuautitlan as the plant ramps up this month, it won't be long until we start seeing them at dealers.

Thanks for the clarification. Much hate out there on Mach E between Mustang purists and Tesla devotees who believe it is inferior to the Tesla Y specifically. A new platform that leverages Ford's capabilities gives much hope that it will be successful. Looking at both Tesla Y and Mach E online shows numerous similarities. Range and Performance (as claimed) slightly favor Tesla. Price about even. In my eyes, the interior and controls favor Ford. Recharging networks currently (pun not intended) favor Tesla. With Ford's extensive dealer network, number of potential recharging stations could change dramatically.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Thanks for the clarification. Much hate out there on Mach E between Mustang purists and Tesla devotees who believe it is inferior to the Tesla Y specifically. A new platform that leverages Ford's capabilities gives much hope that it will be successful. Looking at both Tesla Y and Mach E online shows numerous similarities. Range and Performance (as claimed) slightly favor Tesla. Price about even. In my eyes, the interior and controls favor Ford. Recharging networks currently (pun not intended) favor Tesla. With Ford's extensive dealer network, number of potential recharging stations could change dramatically.  

The Mach E has a touch more hip and shoulder room but has less rear leg room than Tesla Y,

the batteries and drives are slightly behind Tesla but that's something most buyers won't notice

when driving the Mach E but the body and trims will be seen and felt, maybe a touch better?

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

Looking at both Tesla Y and Mach E online shows numerous similarities. Range and Performance (as claimed) slightly favor Tesla. Price about even. In my eyes, the interior and controls favor Ford. Recharging networks currently (pun not intended) favor Tesla. 

Good summary paintguy sir. One area where Mustang Mach-E is way ahead is exterior paint color selection. Grabber Blue in particular is much more eye catching than any paint color Tesla offers from the factory.

When Ford debuted Mach-E last November and showed one in Grabber Blue, my wife said "I want that car in that color". We placed our reservation for a Grabber Blue First Edition Mach-E shortly afterward. 

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-.jpg

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Look at Space X and how everything is so integrated. I saw the launch from my front lawn the other night. Incredible. Meanwhile, rival aerospace giant Boeing is years behind Space X. Boeing's last launch failure was due to SOFTWARE problems. 

Good examples FordBuyer sir. ULA (Boeing & Lockheed Martin joint venture for spacecraft launch services) is really struggling with systems integration and process optimization compared to SpaceX. That's part of the reason why ULA's cost structure is so much higher.

Sheridan Ford has two Mach E's that supposedly are not preproduction models that are on You Tube. Nice review of the touch screen and the drl's, turn signal light front and back, and front headlights. One was pristine blue and other tuxedo black. Ford did some cool effects with the outside lighting. Interior is premium looking also. Looks to me like it compares very favorably with the Model Y. Better front end, and bet better fit and finish, and nicer looking interior. Touch screen was very responsive and intuitive and you actually get a frontal driving screen also.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

It was also used on this car... I'm actually a big fan of this Mazda 323 based Capri but most people hate it or are indifferent I guess.

A Lincoln version of Mach E makes sense but I think there is no need to recycle old names.

Probe?....

7 hours ago, bzcat said:

I 100% agree, zero need to recycle a name like Capri.

20 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good summary paintguy sir. One area where Mustang Mach-E is way ahead is exterior paint color selection. Grabber Blue in particular is much more eye catching than any paint color Tesla offers from the factory.

When Ford debuted Mach-E last November and showed one in Grabber Blue, my wife said "I want that car in that color". We placed our reservation for a Grabber Blue First Edition Mach-E shortly afterward. 

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the color palette. They do look good. Ford has done a great job working colors to various models. Durability also a point of pride. Know a few Ford guys who now work for Tesla. Wish them luck, but not too much luck...

• Like 2