F150 PowerBoost Fuel Economy

The fuel economy numbers have been posted on fueleconomy.gov.   4x2 hybrid isn’t listed, but it is available in the build and price configurator.  Diesel wasn’t listed either.  No appreciable difference in fuel economy between the 4x4 3.5eb, 4x2 3.5eb, and 4x2 coyote. 2.7eb splits the difference between them and the hybrid for significantly less cost.  Now if only the max recline seats were available on lower trim levels....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slemke said:

The fuel economy numbers have been posted on fueleconomy.gov.   4x2 hybrid isn’t listed, but it is available in the build and price configurator.  Diesel wasn’t listed either.

3.0L diesel is listed as 'late availability' in the 2021 F-150 order guide. Wouldn't be surprised if Ford cancels the diesel option completely though. The same engine in the previous generation F-150 was a total dud in terms of sales numbers.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

3.0L diesel is listed as 'late availability' in the 2021 F-150 order guide. Wouldn't be surprised if Ford cancels the diesel option completely though. The same engine in the previous generation F-150 was a total dud in terms of sales numbers.

5.0 and 3.5 GTDI are gonna thump it in every single way except MPG. When you figure for extra cost per gallon, extra maintenance costs, extra fuel additives you're even losing overall cost of ownership to gas. With the added fragility of modern diesels, it makes zero sense.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Having zero marketing beyond the initial announcement didn't help. Seriously, ask 100 people if they know you can get a diesel F-150, I'll bet no more than 5 say yes. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

The combination of power and efficiency is impressive. We should start seeing some road tests soon.

Yes sir, as far as ICE powered F-150 goes, the hybrid version gives the best combination of power and efficiency.

The really big deal will be with BEV F-150. If Ford can exceed its competition in terms of performance and efficiency there, they should be in good shape for many years to come.

21 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Having zero marketing beyond the initial announcement didn't help. Seriously, ask 100 people if they know you can get a diesel F-150, I'll bet no more than 5 say yes. 

Absolutely.  With such little to no marketing, you have to wonder why Ford bothered with it in the first place.  

I think another big factor was the huge fuel economy hit (highway) you took when getting one with 4WD.  I’m sure a lot of potential buyers saw that and opted against spending all that extra money.  

I think the diesel will be back. Ford wants to be the market leader in the segment so it will make sure it is competing everywhere even if it is low volume or just breakeven business for them. No reason to give GM or FCA a space to exploit. 

Ford's F-150 strategy is fundamentally different than its passenger car business. Ford is dominate and plays offense on trucks. It doesn't need to worry too much about marginal profit on niche offerings... rising tide lifts all boats. The oppose is true on its passenger vehicles where Ford is playing defense pretty much from top to bottom so it has to focus on only the most profitable (or least marginal loss) slice of the segments it is in. 

6 hours ago, FR739 said:

Absolutely.  With such little to no marketing, you have to wonder why Ford bothered with it in the first place.  

I think another big factor was the huge fuel economy hit (highway) you took when getting one with 4WD.  I’m sure a lot of potential buyers saw that and opted against spending all that extra money.  

Until recently, the diesel F150 was limited to Lariat and above which implies that it was a diesel

aimed more at work trucks in XL and XLT trims and of course, the single turbo smacks of down market

low end boost only, not as inviting as some might think.

If Ford was truly serious about attracting retail buyers, the 3.0 Powerstroke would be more like

the 300 hp twin turbo version sold to JLR for years, heads and shoulders above FCA's  Ecodiesel.

Power and torque is everything with diesels, coming to market with less than your best effort is

courting failure.

Edited by jpd80

Diesel in f150 or any 1/2 was always niche...the 1/2 itself rendered the diesel option to the dust bowl bin unless mpg was the selling point to which today it is and never was needed....you want a truck that can actually do something (besides hauling mulch bags) you step up to the 3/4

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

Id be shocked if Ranger and Bronco don’t get a hybrid of some sort within 3 years,

I would be too but I would have heard whispers about it by now. I pretty much know what Warthog will be and it's still 2 years away (if what PD says is accurate), same as NG Ranger. That's why I'm not convinced it's happening. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1