Ford Explains Why it Offers a V8 in F150

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

They should just come out and say, for the demographic that needs the V8 sound despite being thoroughly outperformed by the V6. 

5.0L V8 in the previous gen F-150 delivered performance very close to the two EcoBoost V6 options (slightly better than 2.7L, slightly worse than 3.5L), and significantly better than the 3.3L gasoline V6. Here are some numbers Motor Trend got for 2018 F-150 in the TOTY testing that year.

• 3.3L V6 4x2 Supercab. 0-60 in 7.6s, quarter mile in 15.9s @ 88.2 mph
  • 2.7L V6 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercrew. 0-60 mph in 7.0s, quarter mile in 15.5s @ 89.5 mph
  • 5.0L V8 4x4 Supercrew. 0-60 mph in 6.3s, quarter mile in 14.7s @ 96.6 mph
  • 3.5L V6 Ecoboost Raptor Supercab. 0-60 mph in 6.0s, quarter mile in 14.7s @ 91.4 mph
In addition to better soundtrack, the V8 has more linear power delivery compared to the Ecoboost engines. This may be an important consideration to some pickup truck customers.

Of course once the BEV F-150 comes out, all of this will be a moot point.
Edited by rperez817
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Half of them are on the Bronco forum.......

You aren't kidding. I really dislike that forum. I've never seen such whiners. I literally go there for the build pictures and try to not read anything. People over there tend to inflate their wants onto everyone else. It's like Ford owes them a customized Bronco with the options exactly the way they want it. But but Jeep put in a V8...

I think it’s sad an article like this even exists.  

Maybe Ford should explain why Ecoboost exists too.

I know if I were in the market for a pickup it would have a V8 and nothing else.  Call me old fashioned but I just prefer my trucks to be right 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

You aren't kidding. I really dislike that forum. I've never seen such whiners. I literally go there for the build pictures and try to not read anything. People over there tend to inflate their wants onto everyone else. It's like Ford owes them a customized Bronco with the options exactly the way they want it. But but Jeep put in a V8...

You're literally whining because people don't want or like the ecoboost but okay. Kind of weird how people over here tend to inflate their needs onto everyone else.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, probowler said:

You're literally whining because people don't want or like the ecoboost but okay. Kind of weird how people over here tend to inflate their needs onto everyone else.

Am I whining? I actually find it comical that people can be against engines that have more power, efficiency and performance. The best part of that is the rationale of how it sounds. Whatever floats their boat I guess. I know the Amish still use horses and there are people who swear by an old school ribbon typewriter too. It doesn't mean that technology hasn't moved on and there are now better tools for the job. 

I'll take credit on complaining about Bronco6g though. The V8 was just the latest example. It's so much more than engine that they complain about. Actually, pick a topic and it's been complained about. Some people just want a custom rig right off the lot. Somehow, spending 50k on a Bronco they feel compelled to complain that Ford won't offer it "their" way!

12 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Am I whining? I actually find it comical that people can be against engines that have more power, efficiency and performance. The best part of that is the rationale of how it sounds. Whatever floats their boat I guess. I know the Amish still use horses and there are people who swear by an old school ribbon typewriter too. It doesn't mean that technology hasn't moved on and there are now better tools for the job. 

I'll take credit on complaining about Bronco6g though. The V8 was just the latest example. It's so much more than engine that they complain about. Actually, pick a topic and it's been complained about. Some people just want a custom rig right off the lot. Somehow, spending 50k on a Bronco they feel compelled to complain that Ford won't offer it "their" way!

I don't go to 6g so I can't comment on them, I just don't get the hostility towards those who want a V8.  The Turbo crowd has their motors, so let the V8 boys ask for their prefered bronco options.

I just don't see why we have to be fighting each other. At the end of the day, we're all Ford and Bronco fans.

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

I think it’s sad an article like this even exists.  

Maybe Ford should explain why Ecoboost exists too.

I know if I were in the market for a pickup it would have a V8 and nothing else.  Call me old fashioned but I just prefer my trucks to be right 

You know, it's interesting that the F150 version of the Coyote was always around 60 hp less than the Mustang version.

That lack of top end power is exactly why the Coyote can't stand out, it's the very reason why it has DOHC.

So yes, Ford does kind of knobble it's V8 to steer the conversation towards the EBV6.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I was heavily into reading everything there pre-launch and post-launch, but lately, I’ll browse a bit - a few topics here and there, but not like I was.  Way too much nitpicking about every little thing, but perhaps what makes it worse is the 800 duplicate threads for every complaint.  And people will say “I didn’t see a thread for X complaint, so I made one”, and you literally look 2 posts down and it’s the same complaint in another thread.   Posts like “legroom is 1” too short, I’m canceling my reservation!!!!” And stupid stuff like that take away from the enjoyment of talking Bronco and discouraging.

25 minutes ago, probowler said:

I don't go to 6g so I can't comment on them, I just don't get the hostility towards those who want a V8.  The Turbo crowd has their motors, so let the V8 boys ask for their prefered bronco options.

I just don't see why we have to be fighting each other. At the end of the day, we're all Ford and Bronco fans.

there is no hostility to those that want a V8, I get it, I love the Coyote in my Mustang - it’s more just pointing out logical reasons for why one isn’t offered.  And not understanding the “no V8, no Bronco” people.....i.e. they’d rather not have one at all if it doesn’t have a V8.

22 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

You know, it's interesting that the F150 version of the Coyote was always around 60 up less than the Mustang version.

That lack of top end power is exactly why the Coyote can't stand out, it's the very reason why it has DOHC.

So yes, Ford does kind of knobble it's V8 to steer the conversation towards the EBV6.

geared more for towing and whatnot vs power/speed in Mustang.

8 minutes ago, probowler said:

First, to be clear, I am not fighting with you or anyone else that wants a V8. I guess I am just wanting an explanation, as why they would choose the V8 over ecoboost/powerboost.  It's clear the Powerboost is the top dog but yet I'm getting no explanation as to why other than "just because it's a V8" or "it sounds better". These are similar types of responses that we got from the panther mafia. That's fine as people can like what they want but it seems like there isn't a quantifiable reason,  more of a personal preference like color.

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

First, to be clear, I am not fighting with you or anyone else that wants a V8. I guess I am just wanting an explanation, as why they would choose the V8 over ecoboost/powerboost.  It's clear the Powerboost is the top dog but yet I'm getting no explanation as to why other than "just because it's a V8" or "it sounds better". These are similar types of responses that we got from the panther mafia. That's fine as people can like what they want but it seems like there isn't a quantifiable reason,  more of a personal preference like color.

I can't answer that either, All I have is my 351W and NA 4-cylinder to judge from.

For me though, I just want the fastest motor possible, I'm tired of always losing races.

giphy.gif

I'll always support getting more powerful engine choices.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

That's fine as people can like what they want but it seems like there isn't a quantifiable reason,  more of a personal preference like color.

After 30+ years of buying naturally-aspirated Fords, in 2018 I bought my first EB, a 1.5L 4 cylinder, that had to get its' short block replaced (under warranty) at 26K.  Given that experience, and it was handled very well by the dealer, I'm not sure I'll buy another one, if I have a choice.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

35 minutes ago, probowler said:

For me though, I just want the fastest motor possible

I believe the 2.7LEB F150, 3.5LEB F150, 3.5LEB Powerboost hybrid and the 3.5LEB HO Raptor are all faster than the 5.0L V8.

Yes it sounds great but the ecoboosts have instant torque and no turbo lag - let me repeat that, no turbo lag - and can easily be tuned for a lot more power.  And it gets better fuel economy when not driven hard.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

No, he's whining about people who know they can't get a V8 but choose to go to the Bronco website and facebook groups and complain about it over and over and over.   And then complain about everything else that doesn't fit their idea of a 100% custom Bronco.   If you want custom go build it yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, probowler said:

For me though, I just want the fastest motor possible, I'm tired of always losing races.

giphy.gif

I'll always support getting more powerful engine choices.

I support your idea too probowler sir. You'll be impressed with the BEV F-150 in terms of getting the fastest possible acceleration, assuming Ford tunes it for best performance which I'm confident will be the case. Electric propulsion is very efficient.  

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Can't disobey the laws of physics.

That’s true.  Smaller turbos spin up very fast just off idle which is why there is no lag,  the trade off is they run out of steam around 5500 rpm.

The 3.5LEB delivers 90% of its peak torque at just 1700 rpm.  Anything you think is turbo lag is either the ETC delay or transmission.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I believe the 2.7LEB F150, 3.5LEB F150, 3.5LEB Powerboost hybrid and the 3.5LEB HO Raptor are all faster than the 5.0L V8.

That's not true per the actual numbers posted earlier in this thread (and if you want more proof youtube is full of comparison tests).  The actual pecking order for 0-60 times from slowest to fastest is 3.3L -> 2.7EB -> 5.0L -> 3.5EB -> 3.5EB HO.  And then in the 1/4 mile, the 5.0L and 3.5EB are essentially tied.

As far as fuel economy, the ecoboosts do better than the coyote when lightly loaded but the tables turn when heavily loaded, at least according to anecdotal evidence.

As for aftermarket power addition, the ecoboost is cheaper to get 50-100hp with a tune and boost increase, but things get expensive in a hurry after that.  The 5.0L has a clear advantage in cost (and probably reliability too) going to the 700-800 hp level which is easily accomplished with an off the shelf supercharger kit.

So there are certainly still reasons for people to want the 5.0L besides "feelings".

• Like 2

Who cares about the generic, false pretense bronco.....it should have had a small v8 option from the start....there is something to be said about a simplistic and reliable vehicle...techno garbage is something that portrays nothing but problems the moment you drive it off the lot