Ford Explains Why it Offers a V8 in F150

3 hours ago, akirby said:

This is a good point.  I bet you’d get better results with the EB by shortshifting and keeping it below 5000 while the 5.0 would be better closer to redline. I’ll have to see where my 3.5eb shifts.

Absolutely correct.

Another example of this would be 2.3 EB Mustang Vs 3.6 V6 Camaro, the V6 makes power all the way up to 7,000 rpm.

Edited by jpd80

2 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

Now if it can go in on an assembly line is another question.

That’s the only thing that matters.  It has to go in from the bottom.  In the Lincoln LS the 4.6L V8 fit from the top but not from the bottom due to one of the suspension components.

• Like 1

Re: The 5.0 being detuned in F150 vs Mustang...

First, you need more low end torque availability in a truck. Second, since the truck will see engine loading that the Mustang NEVER will, you need more safety room in the tune, both for the life of the engine and the potential for NOx formation. It's not CAFE. It's not Ford trying to move folks to EB's or any other number of things. Since I started paying attention in the 90s, it has ALWAYS been this way with Ford. Take a 93 Mustang GT (205 Hp) vs a 93 F150 5.0, (185 Hp). There were almost always 10 extra ponies in the Vulcan in Taurus vs Ranger. Even Limas in the early 90s had 7? more ponies in Mustang Vs Ranger.  

• Like 3

It’s interesting to note the increasing power and torque levels that have occurred since the Gen 1 Coyotes, so I guess Ford is improving the F150 Coyote from its 360 HP beginning, they have added close to 40 HP and 20 lb ft where it matters.

I remember the oil cooling jets in the early Mustang Coyotes that were deleted as unnecessary, maybe those were intended ultimately for a later F150 Coyote?

Oil pump gears are another matter, surprised that F150 wasn’t upgraded.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, rperez817 said:

Repeating that statement doesn't make it true. Can't disobey the laws of physics.

Then my '14 F150 Limited 3.5 Ecoboost must be disobeying the laws of physics on a daily basis... no noticeable turbo lag!  I was a hard core V8 guy too, but after seeing the Limited in Blue Jeans Mettalic I had to have it regardless of its standard 3.5 engine.  I purchased it without a test drive and as soon as I drove it off the lot I realized my V8 obsession was over!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

No... it's bone stock except for Weathertech MudFlaps.

Thank you CoolScoop sir. For a first generation EcoBoost engine to have no noticeable turbo lag is quite noteworthy. Your F-150 is a keeper for sure, sounds like you are very satisfied with it. 

Edited by rperez817

On 11/19/2020 at 10:02 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

He drives a Ranger. From what I've read and been told by people who have one is sometimes it takes a second for the transmission to catch up with the engine. Explorer owners with the 2.3EB have reported the same thing. Apparently the 10 speed doesn't quite mesh up with the 4 cylinder engines as well as it does with the bigger V6s and V8s. 

Maybe it’s related to the size/weight of the vehicles.  My Ecoboost Mustang doesn’t exhibit any lag.  It weighs a good bit less than the vehicles you mentioned that come with the 2.3EB.  Of course, my Mustang is also tuned for more power from the factory than the other vehicles. 

10 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

Maybe it’s related to the size/weight of the vehicles.  My Ecoboost Mustang doesn’t exhibit any lag.  It weighs a good bit less than the vehicles you mentioned that come with the 2.3EB.  Of course, my Mustang is also tuned for more power from the factory than the other vehicles. 

Is yours a 10 speed? I seriously haven't heard of any 10 speed mustang owners talking about it. That's why I didn't bring it up. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you CoolScoop sir. For a first generation EcoBoost engine to have no noticeable turbo lag is quite noteworthy. Your F-150 is a keeper for sure, sounds like you are very satisfied with it. 

I love my '14 Blue Jeans Limited with blue full grain leather seating surfaces front and back!  It was one of the last steel bodies built and I've had several people over the years compliment me on the custom build... then they're suprised when I tell them it's all stock.  With its 3.5L, 22 inch wheels and sport tuned shocks it's an absolute blast to drive on the windy mountain roads in WV, and mine has the 3.55s instead of the 3.73s.  I've driven several aluminum body F150s of various flavors, but I still like mine better... yes it's a keeper!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, silvrsvt said:

Of course your going to want to work on something  "simpler" so you can get through it quicker and move on to another job and make more $$$

That might be true, but that wasn't the subject in question. The subject was which one they'd buy, not which they'd prefer to see come rolling into the shop.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, CoolScoop said:

Then my '14 F150 Limited 3.5 Ecoboost must be disobeying the laws of physics on a daily basis... no noticeable turbo lag!  I was a hard core V8 guy too, but after seeing the Limited in Blue Jeans Mettalic I had to have it regardless of its standard 3.5 engine.  I purchased it without a test drive and as soon as I drove it off the lot I realized my V8 obsession was over!

Here's my no turbo lag Limited "custom sport truck" before I drove it off the lot:

1605924675046_1605924668000_0_20141030_153223.jpg

1605925529971_20141227_143357.jpg

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 4

On 11/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, CoolScoop said:

I'm always amazed when I hear of people that bought vehicles that they never drove. You're lucky that you were happy with your decision! I've seen too many examples, including my own sister that bought a new Subaru because her husband was a fan and she absolutely hated the vehicle but was stuck with it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I'm always amazed when I hear of people that bought vehicles that they never drove. You're lucky that you were happy with your decision! I've seen too many examples, including my own sister that bought a new Subaru because her husband was a fan and she absolutely hated the vehicle but was stuck with it. 

As an experienced sales person, I'd love to hear your experience of how V8 F150 owners

react on their first drive in an Ecoboost F150, do you have more OMGs than no, I prefer the V8?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

As an experienced sales person, I'd love to hear your experience of how V8 F150 owners

react on their first drive in an Ecoboost F150, do you have more OMGs than no, I prefer the V8?

I'm not a sales representative but managed the new vehicle inventory including ordering all stock, retail and fleet orders for nearly 35 years. I was very involved with the sales department, especially when a customer was interested in ordering a new F-150 or needed assistance regarding their desired vehicle specifications, etc.

When Ford fist introduced the EcoBoost engines a lot of people in the industry thought that Ford was making a major mistake. However, the EcoBoost acceptance was pretty smooth and now accounts for 60% of all F-150 sales. Some of those EcoBoost conquest customers were V-8 customers but drove the new EB's and were convinced after experiencing the performance and seeing the benefits for their applications and needs. In many cases, the customers that want the 5.0L V-8 only are those that are looking to use the vehicle for snow plowing and realize that the V-8 powertrain is the only one available with the Snow Plow Prep package.  

• Like 1

When my dad was looking at new F-150s in 2017 he drove all three 2.7eb, 3.5eb, and 5.0.  In his opinion, the 5.0 and 3.5eb felt pretty similar in performance, while the 2.7 felt a little smaller.  He asked me what I thought as I'm the resident gear head of the family.  I told him the coyote was the mod motor that ford finally got right (this was after his experience with a couple gutless turd 2v 4.6s and 3v 5.4 in an '06 that punched a valve through a piston at 137k due to lack of valavetrain lubrication due to that horrific 1st-gen attempt at VCT on those motors).  I also told him turbos are great too, for a gear head anyways (I had just finished building my second turbocharged Ranger at that point), but that it added a significant amount of extra moving parts, plus a direct injection fuel system, plus all the heat issues inherent to turbo charging.  Regardless of how well engineered and torture tested that system is, it's at an inherent disadvantage to the coyote in terms of reliability.  He ended up buying a 2017 XLT crew 4wd with the 5.0.  He's been in love with the truck ever since.  He has a 24' camper he pulls with it, it does very well for a 1/2 ton.  Fuel economy is about 18-19 lifetime average, last I checked in with him.

Then of course I know several others who have bought new F150s since then.  Lots of 5.0s and a few 3.5s.  All of them very happy with their truck.  I do know one guy with an older 1st gen 3.5eb, a '12 I think, he says the power is great, fuel economy is terrible, and it's been nickel and diming him as it approaches 200k, lately.  I don't think I know anyone with a 2.7 though.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv