Ford Explains Why it Offers a V8 in F150

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I'm always amazed when I hear of people that bought vehicles that they never drove. You're lucky that you were happy with your decision! I've seen too many examples, including my own sister that bought a new Subaru because her husband was a fan and she absolutely hated the vehicle but was stuck with it. 

Actually, I can't remember ever test driving a vehicle before buying and I/we have never been disappointed... except for maybe how boring the two Honda's were.  Most of our Ford vehicles have been retail orders, except two were located and one was an end of year deal off the lot purchase.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Here's my no turbo lag Limited "custom sport truck" before I drove it off the lot:

1605924675046_1605924668000_0_20141030_153223.jpg

1605925529971_20141227_143357.jpg

Beautiful truck CoolScoop sir! The combination of 2014 model year (final year for 12th generation with steel bed), Limited trim, Blue Jeans exterior paint, blue leather interior, and no noticeable turbo lag makes it truly special. Plus the fact that you ordered it makes it truly your own. Thanks again for sharing photos, I wish you many more happy miles of driving in your F-150!

• Like 3

Here's a couple more photos I found.  The red F150 Lariat 5.4L in the background was purchased new in 1998 and I just sold it last month... so we had it for 22 years!!!  I just left it in its normal spot in my driveway with a for sale sign on the dash and sold it in three days... and I'm not even on a busy street in my plan!  It only went back to the dealer for yearly state inspections, I do my own maintenance and the only repairs I had to make over 22 years were:  fixed one blown spark plug (number 3);  replaced both exhaust manifolds using revised stainless steel studs/nuts;  installed stainless steel brake line kit;  replaced starter;  replaced A/C clutch and serpentine belt;  replaced both power window motors;  repaired hvac blend door;  replaced shocks once;  replaced front pads and rotors several times (never had to replace the rear shoes);  replaced battery twice.  Can't remember how many sets of tires I went through.  The exhaust system was original but the muffler finally had a hole in it, but sold as is.

20141227_143256~2.jpg

1605978747902_20141227_142530~2.jpg

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 4

When I went looking for an F-150 at the end of 2018 I decided that I didn't want to lose the V8 sound that I loved coming from my old 4.6L Sport Trac. And because Ford offered a V8 option that's what I bought. I have absolutely nothing against the V6 EB engines, especially since the introduction of dual fuel injection. As a matter of fact, had Ford offered the 2.7L in the Ranger from the get-go I would probably be driving one of those instead of the F-150. As far as the power curve difference of the V8 vs the V6 EBs, my 5.0 F-150 has the 3.73:1 axle ratio and pulls my 18 ft enclosed trailer with ease. I'm not particularly concerned about any fuel mileage difference. If I was I wouldn't be driving a truck, period. I would have bought a Ranger more due to it's size and maneuverabilty advantages than any slight fuel mileage difference. The ability to tow that big-ass trailer is a minor consideration as I don't use it very often. At this point it's more of a mobile storage unit than anything else.

Bottom line is that everyone has different needs and preferences and it's awesome that Ford offers a choice for just about everyone.

BTW, beautiful truck CoolScoop.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 8:16 AM, YT90SC said:

Agreed. Still bitter I won't be able to replace my C-Max when the time comes. 

We've about decided we're done with these rolling computers. Wife wants an older sedan as her daily driver. Right now we're looking at the budget to build her 71 Torino GT convertible. Time will be more of an issue than money, but there isn't anything sold that's not over complicated or outrageously priced.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, Harley Lover said:

Would you consider an Escape hybrid, or does the form factor kill that option?

The Escape is ok-ish. But yeah, never owned an SUV, don't care to start. Closest we got was test driving a Flex, until my wife decided it was too big.

35 minutes ago, 351cid said:

We've about decided we're done with these rolling computers. Wife wants an older sedan as her daily driver. Right now we're looking at the budget to build her 71 Torino GT convertible. Time will be more of an issue than money, but there isn't anything sold that's not over complicated or outrageously priced.

Weekend cruiser, heck yes, but a daily? You'd have to upgrade literally everything - brakes, suspension, engine, trans if it is an auto.   

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Wait, what?   So this is a SUV 

image.thumb.png.ca6d0aae85929388f07686bb224a7ca1.png

But this isn’t?

image.thumb.jpeg.a95efae43f5ff5a4481175848030000c.jpeg

I get what you are saying and don't totally disagree. I will also give you that Escape has improved in almost everything over the outgoing generation. However, literally, Ford calls the Escape a "CUV" and the C-Max a car or "tall wagon", so yeah. ;)  This was as close to being a sellout as I could bring myself to be. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

I get what you are saying and don't totally disagree. I will also give you that Escape has improved in almost everything over the outgoing generation. However, literally, Ford calls the Escape a "CUV" and the C-Max a car or "tall wagon", so yeah. ;)  This was as close to being a sellout as I could bring myself to be. 

Sorry... Get over it!

49 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

FWIW, I understand your point of view (I'm on my third C-Max, love the car). I'd suggest sitting in an Escape just to see - they are so darn close to the C-Max once you're inside, you might reconsider once you sit in one! 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Wait, what?   So this is a SUV 

image.thumb.png.ca6d0aae85929388f07686bb224a7ca1.png

But this isn’t?

image.thumb.jpeg.a95efae43f5ff5a4481175848030000c.jpeg

I'm on my third C-Max, I can explain this - the beauty of the C-Max is it offers the seating position of a CUV (nice and upright with great leg room and a high hip point), but from inside you don't have the CUV perspective of riding so high off the ground. Even those pictures show the difference, the C-Max isn't jacked up on its suspension in the way a CUV is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Weekend cruiser, heck yes, but a daily? You'd have to upgrade literally everything - brakes, suspension, engine, trans if it is an auto.   

Art Morrison full chassis, T-Bird 8.8 IRS, tubular upper & lower control arm front suspension with R & P steering, EFI 5.0 (I know...), AOD, new wiring harness, etc...yep.

i have most of what I need except the chassis. I've been collecting parts for several years with the intent of this build. Recently, my wife inquired what it would take to make this her daily instead of her toy.

I figured instead of spending $50k for a new vehicle that I can't repair, why not spend another $25k on something I can. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 2:59 PM, akirby said:

I believe the 2.7LEB F150, 3.5LEB F150, 3.5LEB Powerboost hybrid and the 3.5LEB HO Raptor are all faster than the 5.0L V8.

Yes it sounds great but the ecoboosts have instant torque and no turbo lag - let me repeat that, no turbo lag - and can easily be tuned for a lot more power.  And it gets better fuel economy when not driven hard.

The quickest new F150 is a 5.0 Regular cab short bed. 13.2 bone stock.

• Like 2