Consumer Reports 2020 Reliability Survey - Lincoln dead last

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

They definitely need to get their stuff together. On my second Aviator and it has issues too. Still love it but it's aggravating. 

I have a 2019 Nautilus Reserve and have not had any more than an oil change . This is my 3rd MKX/NAUTILUS and all three have been the same.  I was going to get a 2020 Aviator only because i love the look of the interior, I do not need the size, my dealer that I have dealt with forever told me to take a pass and wait for the 21. I was there just today and he told me that he has already had his demo in for the assorted issues.(2021) Obviously this vehicle is either to complex, or under engineered.  He told me to get another Nautilus, as it will have the nicer interior, and order the turbo 6 as opposed to the standard turbo 4, as it will be a bit quieter and smoother. That sounds like a good plan. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, escapeman said:

I have a 2019 Nautilus Reserve and have not had any more than an oil change . This is my 3rd MKX/NAUTILUS and all three have been the same.  I was going to get a 2020 Aviator only because i love the look of the interior, I do not need the size, my dealer that I have dealt with forever told me to take a pass and wait for the 21. I was there just today and he told me that he has already had his demo in for the assorted issues.(2021) Obviously this vehicle is either to complex, or under engineered.  He told me to get another Nautilus, as it will have the nicer interior, and order the turbo 6 as opposed to the standard turbo 4, as it will be a bit quieter and smoother. That sounds like a good plan. 

I had a Continental BL prior to my Aviator BL, and it had one or two small issues. It's like night and day between the two. 

^^^^ I'm sure glad we got the Aviator with a 2 rating... looks like it's twice as reliable as the Explorers with a 1 rating, lol.  We have three 2020 Ford products in my family, so going by these CR ratings we should all be looking for lemon law lawyers.  My sisters Explorer XLT is an August '19 build, our Aviator GT is a December '19 build, and my daughters 2.0L Escape Titanium is a June '20 build.  Knock on wood, but all three have been problem/defect free and we're all extremely happy with them.  Seriously, we've had a bunch of satisfying Fords over the years and the only one we didn't like was the Contour we inherited from my wife's parents... and all of them have been reliable.  But if we had listened to all those CR magazines we used to get in the mail, we would have been driving boring Toyota's and Honda's.  And yes, we did have two Honda's because of those CR ratings... that's why I say boring.  I agree that the Explorer/Aviator launch was a fiasco that shouldn't have happened and early build Escapes had some issues, but non of us regret our purchases and we wouldn't hesitate buying them again dispite the CR ratings.  And it's not just CR car ratings that are misleading, their other ratings for things like TVs and appliances are also suspect at best. IMHO they should modify their logo to CONsumer Reports!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, CoolScoop said:

We have three 2020 Ford products in my family, so going by these CR ratings we should all be looking for lemon law lawyers.  My sisters Explorer XLT is an August '19 build, our Aviator GT is a December '19 build, and my daughters 2.0L Escape Titanium is a June '20 build.  Knock on wood, but all three have been problem/defect free and we're all extremely happy with them.  Seriously, we've had a bunch of satisfying Fords over the years and the only one we didn't like was the Contour we inherited from my wife's parents... and all of them have been reliable.  But if we had listened to all those CR magazines we used to get in the mail, we would have been driving boring Toyota's and Honda's.  And yes, we did have two Honda's because of those CR ratings

The CR reliability survey provides information about the relative likelihood of a particular car or light truck model to have problems compared to the average for all vehicles surveyed. Here is what CR said in their FAQ.

"Scores are based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported problems for that trouble spot, compared with the average of all vehicles for that year. Models with problem rates close to the mean receive an average rating for that trouble spot.

Models with below average scores are not necessarily unreliable, but they have a higher rate of problems than the average model. Similarly, models with above average scores are not necessarily problem-free, but they had relatively few problems compared with the average model."

"Your Survey Results Do Not Match With My Experience. Are Your Surveys Wrong?
Even in the most unreliable models, some individual car owners are lucky and experience few or no problems during the 12 months covered by the survey. For example, in one of the worst models in our recent surveys, about 55 percent of the owners reported problems in at least one trouble area over the previous 12 months; of course, this means that about 45 percent of owners reported no problems. Your neighbor or friend might be one of those lucky owners. Of course, the opposite can happen as well—even in a model that tends to be quite reliable, there is an occasional "lemon."

I am one of those "lucky" car/truck owners. 2019 Ford Ranger is rated "much worse than average" in the latest CR reliability survey, but my family's own 2019 Ranger has been mostly trouble free. Only real issue with it has been a rough shifting automatic transmission, and I expected that from a Ford designed tranny. I also have a 2018 Tesla Model S. It is rated only "average" in the CR reliability survey (2019 and 2020 Model S are "much worse than average" though), but mine hasn't had any problems since I bought it as a used car.

However the probability that a Ford Ranger owner or a Tesla Model S owner chosen at random will report problems with their vehicles is much higher than that of a Mazda MX-5 Miata owner or Toyota Prius owner chosen at random. That's what's makes the CR reliability survey data so useful, especially to consumers who put a high priority on reliability for their cars.

But to some consumers, reliability isn't the highest priority when choosing a particular car or truck model. For me, brand loyalty to Ford Motor Company and preference for U.S. domestic automakers in general is more important than reliability. That's why most of the 20+ cars and trucks I've owned over the years have been Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln models, plus a few Jaguars and a Tesla.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably some of it is because of the Chicago factory Quality. I have driven so many Lincoln Aviators and all of them had problems and not one of these was good enough for me to consider to take home. I really want a Aviator but if Ford cannot get there act together on the Explorer and Aviator Quality issues they wont have to worry about selling anything. That plants quality is just plain terrible no one vehicle is the same with body panel gaps that are just way off and never the same from one vehicle to the other. Each one you drive has a different problem or multiple problems. The rattles, noises and vibrations I witness in each Aviator is just unacceptable for a vehicle costing half the price they are selling these at.  Please Ford get your act together so I can buy one of these great looking SUV's. 

Edited by Shelby32
  • Like 1

And this is also the same reason I am going to trade my 2019 Nautilus for a 2021 . I wanted a 2020 Aviator and my dealer told me to take a pass, wait for the 2021. I saw him last week and he said  unless I need the room of the Aviator to just get a Nautilus. It will be my 3rd MKX /NAUTILUS.   Have never had to do more than an oil change.  It is a great driving and quiet ,comfortable car. 

What I don't understand is...between 2003 and 2011 (essentially with Bill Ford ran the show or started some of those programs), Ford really turned their reliability around and produced some rock-solid products (2004-2011 Focus, 2005-2012 Escape, 2006-2012 Fusion, Edge, etc), many of which became the most reliable cars in their segment. But then we got a bunch of products that Ford of Europe had a greater hand in....and reliability took a nose-dive. If I was in charge of Ford I would hammer home that the company's ONLY priority is to make the most reliable cars in the world, with the best value in their segments. Everything else is a distraction. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

Probably some of it is because of the Chicago factory Quality. I have driven so many Lincoln Aviators and all of them had problems and not one of these was good enough for me to consider to take home. I really want a Aviator but if Ford cannot get there act together on the Explorer and Aviator Quality issues they wont have to worry about selling anything. That plants quality is just plain terrible no one vehicle is the same with body panel gaps that are just way off and never the same from one vehicle to the other. Each one you drive has a different problem or multiple problems. The rattles, noises and vibrations I witness in each Aviator is just unacceptable for a vehicle costing half the price they are selling these at.  Please Ford get your act together so I can buy one of these great looking SUV's. 

There are three or four of us on here with Grand Tourings that have been problem free so far... no build issues, abnormal noises, vibrations, etc.  My dealer didn't have to fix or adjust anything on mine.  Maybe the GTs are better quality because final assembly is done on a dedicated hybrid assembly line several blocks from CAP.  I haven't driven any other Aviators, but I've scrutinized a bunch on my dealers delivery lot since they started arriving last year and I've only seen panel misalignment on some early builds. 

Edited by CoolScoop

I have driven four Grand tours and they all had problems one had a trim part that had a broken clip and rattle. The other one had a real bad rattle in the rear seat area we could not trace it down. The one had a vibration that made the empty passenger seat shake real bad at 70mph. I want one, but unlike you everyone I have driven has way to many problems for me to buy. I have driven 12 so far only one came close and it had a bad wind whistle. Allot of the hoods are misaligned and one was a 2021. If you look at the gaps between the grill and the hood and the top of the headlights bezels some are way off. 

Edited by Shelby32

And now, JD Powers' survey rates Lincoln as #1 luxury brand for customer satisfaction for 2020. Not exactly the same thing as CR's reliability survey, but there is something odd here.

Amazing how tight the ratings are for all the above average brands. You only get separation when you drop below that level.

Here's a link to an article on this, but it is behind a paywall. See selected graph from the article pasted below.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/lincoln-mini-top-jd-power-sales-satisfaction-index

FB_IMG_1607623662264.jpg

Edited by Gurgeh

• 4 weeks later...