Ford Aims Digital Platform For Used Vehicles

1 hour ago, akirby said:

So here is the “as yet unannounced affordable white space vehicle” again.

Whats the current guess on what this will be?

Has to be the Maverick given all the photos we’ve seen of prototypes. If so it means no Fusion net year. Disappointing (at least to me).

40 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Has to be the Maverick given all the photos we’ve seen of prototypes. If so it means no Fusion net year. Disappointing (at least to me).

Could be but it sounded like this affordable vehicle came about after Bronco Sport and Maverick.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

So here is the “as yet unannounced affordable white space vehicle” again.

Whats the current guess on what this will be?

I just figured Maverick.  Remember, Ford hasn't confirmed anything about Maverick, so it's technically still "unannounced".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Another way of thinking about this is that it will be "affordable" vs what is Mid and Full Sized Trucks. 

This isn't going to be a value leader like the EcoSport...at least that's what I think.

Nicely loaded for about $30-35K

Understood but Ford needs to address the entry level market with either a new EcoSport, a replacement for the EcoSport or something along the lines of taking the Puma global. 

48 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Another way of thinking about this is that it will be "affordable" vs what is Mid and Full Sized Trucks. 

This isn't going to be a value leader like the EcoSport...at least that's what I think.

Nicely loaded for about $30-35K

I was expecting entry level pricing - closer to fiesta and ecosport.  I think Maverick will be a bit higher and slot in just below Ranger.

33 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Understood but Ford needs to address the entry level market with either a new EcoSport, a replacement for the EcoSport or something along the lines of taking the Puma global. 

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

I was expecting entry level pricing - closer to fiesta and ecosport.  I think Maverick will be a bit higher and slot in just below Ranger.

Yeah I do also, but if Ford wants to make its 8-10% profit, it going to be hard on something that is starting at 20K or less

I think that is why we still have the EcoSport and why its made in India. It seems like Ford is content with blowing out higher end models in the low to mid 20K range with incentives. 

Not sure if the Puma can be made cheap enough to thread that needle and the Escape and return a decent profit. 

• Like 1

Ford Blue Advantage is a good example of Ford and its dealers working together to better compete with Carvana, Vroom, Carmax, etc. Ford hasn't always had a good relationship with its dealer franchisees. Blue Advantage should help.

Jim Farley is a good businessman and is very talented at recognizing new business opportunities for Ford.

"The company says it expects the Mach-E, Bronco, Bronco Sport, and the unannounced vehicle will outsell its "entire previous sedan portfolio" by this time next year."

If someone is bored, can someone add all the numbers of "the entire previous sedan portfolio" pre-covid and pre-death announcement? Considering the Fusion at one point was hitting almost 300K I find this a bit hard to believe.

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

This is an interesting tidbit

What a pointless statement from Ford.  Does anyone believe that three SUVs in rapidly growing segments that have been hyped for a very long time and most everyone is excited for would sell less than a bunch of decontented, has been sedans in a dying segment?  

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

What a pointless statement from Ford.  Does anyone believe that three SUVs in rapidly growing segments that have been hyped for a very long time and most everyone is excited for would sell less than a bunch of decontented, has been sedans in a dying segment?  

Not pointless at all.  They’re defending their decision to replace sedans with those new products which a lot of people still think was a mistake.

Also note that a lot of focus and fiestas sales were hatchbacks not sedans.

It looks like there will soon be an announcement and reveal of the Maverick. But I wonder something though and I hope it won't throw this thread off topic. Seeing how some say that the new Maverick will share similar styling and panels of the Bronco Sport from B-pillar forward, wouldn't it be logical to leverage the Bronco Sport name for this affordable pickup? Something along the lines of Bronco SportTrac? That way, the Sport name is used to show that it's based on the Bronco Sport and has that 4-door pickup lifestyle styling and packaging to it. I know it wasn't engineered and designed to be off-road capable like the Bronco Sport, but surely Ford has thought of attaching the Bronco Sport name to this pickup. The Maverick name can be used for this in overseas markets like Europe, Australia, China, etc. while Bronco SportTrac be used solely in North America. Ford can simply run clever ads, narrated by actor Bryan Cranston, explaining that this new Bronco SporTrac is not to be confused with the old Sport Trac, while the ad shows the new Bronco SportTrac going off road and people using it to camp, etc. If Ford eventually chooses to make pickup variant of the 2-door and 4-door 'big' Bronco, they can come up with a different name for it as to avoid confusion with Explorer Sport Trac and the Bronco SportTrac. They can go back in the Bronco history and find a good name for the pickup variant (original Bronco was called Half Cab). I'm sure some others here had suggested the Maverick using the Bronco branding name instead of Maverick but I wonder what some others think?

But back on topic though, it does seem interesting with Ford's ideas for the digital platform for used vehicles. I look forward to seeing the sales success of Mach-E, Bronco, Bronco Sport, and Maverick a year from now. This along with the sales of 2021 F-150, 2021 Ranger Tremor, etc. as well.

There was a user here who mentioned that. I think it was Borg/Assimilator? I can't quite find it here in search though it could have been the other forum I seen that. There were some articles published that mentioned that though it was their speculation by comparing the Bronco Sport side by side with the camo'ed Maverick. Perhaps @PREMiERdrum can chime in?

Here's one article I found that mentioned this. The site has been known to make mistakes in their articles but the overlays of Bronco Sport and Maverick do show some similarities with B-pillar forward.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/ford-maverick-pickup-will-be-very-similar-to-bronco-sport-b-pillar-forward-exclusive/

Edited by pffan1990
Added article link