Ford Aims Digital Platform For Used Vehicles

2 hours ago, probowler said:

What exactly is the appeal of an overgrown fusion again?

People apparently like Subaru's, when they aren't exactly anything worth writing home about in styling dept. 

I'm wondering if upon further review, Ford couldn't or didn't want to spend the $$$ to compete directly with them in the NA market-it seems more of a fringe market (yes one that is growng I guess) that would be hard to make an impact into due to how particular this market is and doesn't play into Ford's perceived strengths with the market/consumers.  

6 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Here's one article I found that mentioned this. The site has been known to make mistakes in their articles but the overlays of Bronco Sport and Maverick do show some similarities with B-pillar forward.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/ford-maverick-pickup-will-be-very-similar-to-bronco-sport-b-pillar-forward-exclusive/

They might share a stamping here and there and have the same general shape, but I don't think its going to be like say Mercury Milan vs Ford Fusion in closeness where its just "soft" items being different. 

• Like 1

Guess I haven't been paying much attention to the Maverick news yet, why are they reviving the Maverick name for a truck lIke this?  Wouldn't Courier or Sport Trac be more appropriate... my sister had a Maverick and as I recall it had a trunk, lol!  I agree with pffan1990... they should call it Bronco Sport Trac with the same trim levels, capabilites, accessories, etc as the Bronco Sport.  The base model would be the cheap/affordable option.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

Guess I haven't been paying much attention to the Maverick news yet, why are they reviving the Maverick name for a truck lIke this?  Wouldn't Courier or Sport Trac be more appropriate... my sister had a Maverick and as I recall it had a trunk, lol!  I agree with pffan1990... they should call it Bronco Sport Trac with the same trim levels, capabilites, accessories, etc as the Bronco Sport.  The base model would be the cheap/affordable option.

Most likely because there is a Bronco pickup down the road and to cut down confusion.

Also with the Maverick name-they quit using it 40+ years ago. Shit I'll be 46 and I really have no real experience with the Maverick name outside of magazine articles. This being aimed at younger people (and older people who want an affordable pickup, which is a common complaint among older baby boomers) they'll have zero recognition any previous Mavericks.

Not to mention the Maverick name fits in with Ford's Western names for its Pickups-Lariat, Ranger (Texas Ranger), etc...and even Bronco.   

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Also with the Maverick name-they quit using it 40+ years ago.

OMG, my sister had her Maverick over 40 years ago... seems like yesterday, lol!  And yes, your reasoning make sense... but as an older dude I still think sedan when I hear Mavrick.

Edited by CoolScoop

32 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

OMG, my sister had her Maverick over 40 years ago... seems like yesterday, lol!  And yes, your reasoning make sense... but as an older dude I still think sedan when I hear Mavrick.

This was the Maverick I was so privileged to drive in high school.  My mom inherited it from her dad.  Poop brown with vinyl seats.   Real chick magnet!

OTOH my other choice was an orange AMC Hornet station wagon with orange plaid seats.   ?

image.png.625fd212c8b408bb9afe109c47e6667d.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

There was a user here who mentioned that. I think it was Borg/Assimilator? I can't quite find it here in search though it could have been the other forum I seen that. There were some articles published that mentioned that though it was their speculation by comparing the Bronco Sport side by side with the camo'ed Maverick. Perhaps @PREMiERdrum can chime in?

Here's one article I found that mentioned this. The site has been known to make mistakes in their articles but the overlays of Bronco Sport and Maverick do show some similarities with B-pillar forward.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/ford-maverick-pickup-will-be-very-similar-to-bronco-sport-b-pillar-forward-exclusive/

Borg is often wrong (and often right too), but is determined he's always 100% right, and anyone that questions or is skeptical is a moron/not worth talking to and then he leaves when people debate what he's claimed.

Anyway, Maverick definitely appears to share Ford truck styling (similar to that next-gen Ranger image that was leaked a while back), so it be more boxy.  In that sense it "seems" to share the Bronco Sport look, but I think once the wraps are taken off, they won't be confused/seen as similar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

"Under review."

I'm sensing a realignment bringing 4 products down to 3. Nameplates TBD. 

From what I've seen of the next "Fusion", it seems to overlap a lot sizewise with the Mach E.  I'd rather replace my current Fusion Sport with a Mach E at this point. But if the next Fusion would be available with RWD and the Explorer's 3.0TT or a Coyote, I'd rather go in that direction. Another FWD based crossover-wagon thing does nothing for me.

I think Ford is being deliberate about the Bronco sub-brand being for vehicles that are rugged and off-road ready.

Maverick will mostly be sold with FWD... I think it is the right decision to not call it Bronco [something], even if it end up sharing some design theme or body panels with Bronco Sport.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Yes, this line of thinking with base and Big Bend for cheap affordable options and then the Outer Banks, etc. for more variant of options and off-road capability. However, it appears that this Maverick will come with standard front drive only with all wheel drive being optional. This would go against the Bronco branding as the three Bronco vehicles come standard with 4x4. As with others said, the Maverick name hasn't been used in over 40 years and does fit the Western naming and theme so that makes sense. There's also the fact that Maverick name was used in Europe during the first generation of the boxy Escape as well as in South America on a different 4x4 vehicle too. So may as well use it on an affordable pickup truck since precedent was set with using it other than the old sedan and coupe of yore.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Most likely because there is a Bronco pickup down the road and to cut down confusion. Not to mention the Maverick name fits in with Ford's Western names for its Pickups-Lariat, Ranger (Texas Ranger), etc...and even Bronco.   

This makes sense for the naming to fit with Western names. I think it would actually be confusing if Ford uses the Sport Trac name for the big Bronco pickup as people would associate the Sport portion of the name with the smaller Bronco Sport. Which was why I suggested Sport Trac for the new affordable pickup. But Maverick is a good name for it and Ford wasn't engineering and designing the Maverick with off road branding like Bronco in mind, so Maverick is a good name to use.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Borg is often wrong (and often right too), but is determined he's always 100% right, and anyone that questions or is skeptical is a moron/not worth talking to and then he leaves when people debate what he's claimed.

Anyway, Maverick definitely appears to share Ford truck styling (similar to that next-gen Ranger image that was leaked a while back), so it be more boxy.  In that sense it "seems" to share the Bronco Sport look, but I think once the wraps are taken off, they won't be confused/seen as similar.

Yeah I'm aware of Borg but I can't remember if he was the one who said it would have similar styling and panels of Bronco Sport b-pillar forward or if it was another user. It could have been a user suggesting as speculation and I may have misunderstood that as 'insider fact'. I apologize for that if that's the case. I can't find the post that this was made so it's possible that it's over at GMI. I'm not a user there, as I read the public posts, so wouldn't have luck finding it there. As for what you said about the styling appearing to share the Ford truck styling, I remember that being talked about here. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what it looks like when they do the reveal or some online leaks come before then. Again, I have no problem with Maverick name being used.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

This was the Maverick I was so privileged to drive in high school.  My mom inherited it from her dad.  Poop brown with vinyl seats.   Real chick magnet!

OTOH my other choice was an orange AMC Hornet station wagon with orange plaid seats.   ?

image.png.625fd212c8b408bb9afe109c47e6667d.png

Okay... perhaps a better color choice would have been in order, but I will steadfastly claim that this looks way better than many modern days cars or crossovers.

4 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

My oldest brother’s first car was a Maverick.  He still has it.  Not quite pristine, but pretty close. 

17 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

It looks like there will soon be an announcement and reveal of the Maverick. But I wonder something though and I hope it won't throw this thread off topic. Seeing how some say that the new Maverick will share similar styling and panels of the Bronco Sport from B-pillar forward, wouldn't it be logical to leverage the Bronco Sport name for this affordable pickup? Something along the lines of Bronco SportTrac? That way, the Sport name is used to show that it's based on the Bronco Sport and has that 4-door pickup lifestyle styling and packaging to it. I know it wasn't engineered and designed to be off-road capable like the Bronco Sport, but surely Ford has thought of attaching the Bronco Sport name to this pickup. The Maverick name can be used for this in overseas markets like Europe, Australia, China, etc. while Bronco SportTrac be used solely in North America.

I am personally somewhat happy that they are not bringing it in under the Bronco brand, and especially happy that it is not a reincarnation of the SportTrac name. As evidenced by nearly all of the spy shots so far, it is decidedly NOT an off-road oriented vehicle. Which is fine. The upshot is that from our initial glances, it does seem like it will be more capable than the other impending street trucklet, the Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup. 

What I am somewhat surprised about, however, is that the rumblings are that it will be sorted into the Ford Truck family and share the XL/XLT/Lariat trims with the Ranger and F-Series. Upon further thought, the expected "lifestyle truck" slant of the Maverick does mesh pretty well with current marketing for the Ranger, and its inclusion under the Ford Truck umbrella (a pretty big deal) gives me hope for its potential capability. 

I will say that I'm getting a little anxious to see it revealed. I don't need a Ranger or F-150, but I'm in the market for a truck for around town uses/home improvement/cycling/sports (errrr...lifestyle purposes) that can fit down my driveway, into my garage, and isn't a Honda Ridgeline. This is exactly what I've been waiting for...so here's hoping for some movement in the near future. 

Edited by beefdaddy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, beefdaddy said:

What I am somewhat surprised about, however, is that the rumblings are that it will be sorted into the Ford Truck family and share the XL/XLT/Lariat trims with the Ranger and F-Series. Upon further thought, the expected "lifestyle truck" slant of the Maverick does mesh pretty well with current marketing for the Ranger, and its inclusion under the Ford Truck umbrella (a pretty big deal) gives me hope for its potential capability. 

From what PremierDrum has said, Ford's truck team was involved with its development, so its not going to be shortchanged in that regard 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akirby said:

But it looks like you were just a Grabber Blue paint job away from driving a real chick magnet in high school... if you only knew, lol:

18402615_422522444787496_898924704448671621_n.jpg

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

From what PremierDrum has said, Ford's truck team was involved with its development, so its not going to be shortchanged in that regard 

For sure. The surprise was pleasant, in that Ford Truck is the sacred cow and the new truck has been deemed worthy of that family. I think we all remember the F-100 rumors over the years, and now here we are.

The Maverick is completely a Ford Maverick, no Bronco name to be used anywhere near it. Yes, it will have the XL, XLT and Lariat trims just like the Ranger does. There will also be a Tremor package added 1 year after launch.

In terms of looks and how much Bronco Sport parts it will share, it will use the same front door panels, front fenders, glass, windshield etc. I believe it may also use the same hood but headlights, grilles and front bumper will be uniquely Maverick in a downsized Ford truck style. This thing will sell like hot cakes because of size and price. It honestly looks like a mini version of the original Sport Trac. 

Sport Trac name may live on and appear on the regular Bronco upcoming pickup truck. But that’s 2025ish. Remember Sport Trac was a rugged body on frame vehicle. A Bronco Sport Trac would look to maintain that legacy.

As for the Ford Fusion Active aka the Ford Outback, I don’t know where that stands anymore. It’s C2 based, I’ve seen it and it’s gorgeous for what it is, but I don’t know if it makes it out the gate or not. I don’t even think it has an internal model code yet. Slightly concerning....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Maverick is completely a Ford Maverick, no Bronco name to be used anywhere near it. Yes, it will have the XL, XLT and Lariat trims just like the Ranger does. There will also be a Tremor package added 1 year after launch.

In terms of looks and how much Bronco Sport parts it will share, it will use the same front door panels, front fenders, glass, windshield etc. I believe it may also use the same hood but headlights, grilles and front bumper will be uniquely Maverick in a downsized Ford truck style. This thing will sell like hot cakes because of size and price. It honestly looks like a mini version of the original Sport Trac. 

Sport Trac name may live on and appear on the regular Bronco upcoming pickup truck. But that’s 2025ish. Remember Sport Trac was a rugged body on frame vehicle. A Bronco Sport Trac would look to maintain that legacy.

As for the Ford Fusion Active aka the Ford Outback, I don’t know where that stands anymore. It’s C2 based, I’ve seen it and it’s gorgeous for what it is, but I don’t know if it makes it out the gate or not. I don’t even think it has an internal model code yet. Slightly concerning....

Thanks for this. I stand corrected about the Maverick sharing looks of Bronco Sport as the person that I seen elsewhere said it was either wrong or speculation but I clearly misunderstood and apologize for my confusion above. Thanks for your info and it's exciting to know the Tremor pack will be added a year later. Someone else above said that it has been designed and engineered as a truck from the beginning as part of Ford Trucks umbrella so it makes sense to use the XL, XLT, etc. trimlines. Looking like more of a truck than the Honda Ridgeline wishes to be in terms of capability. Wouldn't surprise me to see Sport Trac name used on Bronco pickup, which would be more logical since original was body-on-frame as you pointed out, but would only cause confusion for some people with 'sport' from Sport Trac due to smaller Bronco Sport. Also interesting about the new Fusion Active; hope it gets approved for production sometime soon. Also, I forget: do you work for Ford or know someone on inside? I always like reading your insights along with PremierDrum and others.

Maybe ford believes differently, but I don't see a "maverick" pickup setting sales records if it's fwd and/or unibody.  We're basically talking about a honda ridgeline at that point.  I don't blame ford for trying; it's hard to support a bespoke BOF platform for a model that sells at $20k.  But I think sales will be incremental at best, not "wow we found a whole new segment!"

I hear almost constant pining for the old ranger, and if you look, nice ones are worth a good bit of change still.  Somehow, despite being available for $25k, the new Ranger isn't satisfying these buyers.  The main complaint I hear is it's too big.  The conclusion I've come to is people loved the old Ranger because you could beat the living p*** put out of it and it just kind of shrugged, despite maybe topping out at 55 mph if you loaded the 112 horse 4-banger down heavy enough. 

I'm not seeing how a front-drive "escape pickup" is going to satisfy this market, if for no other reason than if you fill the bed with gravel (popular thing to do with old rangers in my area lol) the drive wheels won't have any traction.  Can't blame Ford for trying something though - they have to do something to compete for the market share they ceded with cheap sedans.

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Maybe ford believes differently, but I don't see a "maverick" pickup setting sales records if it's fwd and/or unibody.  We're basically talking about a honda ridgeline at that point.  I don't blame ford for trying; it's hard to support a bespoke BOF platform for a model that sells at $20k.  But I think sales will be incremental at best, not "wow we found a whole new segment!"

I hear almost constant pining for the old ranger, and if you look, nice ones are worth a good bit of change still.  Somehow, despite being available for $25k, the new Ranger isn't satisfying these buyers.  The main complaint I hear is it's too big.  The conclusion I've come to is people loved the old Ranger because you could beat the living p*** put out of it and it just kind of shrugged, despite maybe topping out at 55 mph if you loaded the 112 horse 4-banger down heavy enough. 

I'm not seeing how a front-drive "escape pickup" is going to satisfy this market, if for no other reason than if you fill the bed with gravel (popular thing to do with old rangers in my area lol) the drive wheels won't have any traction.  Can't blame Ford for trying something though - they have to do something to compete for the market share they ceded with cheap sedans.

That’s not the market for Maverick.  It’s more of a lifestyle / less expensive crossover with more utility than an outright pickup.

The major reason the old Ranger sold was because it was cheap-it was basically a Panther platform car lol. 

The Maverick will do fine-people keep calling it a Ridgeline-that isn’t fair because it will be smaller  and you actually have three different pickups above it that can actually do work. 

I’m sure that Ford will design it so that it can handle your bigger DIY projects from Home Depot as it’s cut off point (getting mulch, plywood/drywall) and no more so it doesn’t step on the Rangers toes. 

like akirby said-it’s a cheaper CUV with more utility 

I think that's pretty much on point... Maverick is not a Ridgeline competitor, that's the job of Ranger and frankly, Ranger is wiping the floor against the slow selling Ridgeline.

I think Ford figured that there is a market for cheap vehicle and it knows people don't want cheap cars. How do you make an Escape even cheaper without going the 3rd world route of stripping out safety features? You make a CUV but eliminate the interior from the last 1/3 of the vehicle and strip out cost that way. It's a lot cheaper to make an empty cargo bed than a fully enclosed cargo area that requires extra sheet metal, 3 panes of glass, HVAC ducts, floor, carpet, 5 mph impact bumper (trucks are exempt) etc. 

• Like 1