Caddy to pay dealers $500k to go away if they don’t want to sell BEVs

silvrsvt

Gotta wonder if this is really just GM's first move in the process of shutting cadillac down.  Outside of Escalade, Cadillac has no reason to exist.  This way they can blame it on the dealers themselves for "not getting on board with the EV transition" and avoid all the bad press about big bad GM squeezing the poor little hometown dealers out of business.

If I was a Cadillac dealer looking at the prospect of having to try to make a profit pushing a [mostly] electric line in the coming years, I think I'd take the money and run.

• Like 1

Cadillac isn't going anywhere. But their situation isn't great right now. They have 2 excellent sedans that are slow-selling, 3 nondescript CUVs and the Escalade. I could easily see them going fully electric, except with the Escalade offering both EV and ICE powertrains. 

I went to the 2019 Chicago Auto Show. The Cadillac display had 2 Escalades and a '59 Eldorado convertible that had crowds around them, but everything else was mostly ignored.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AGR said:

Cadillac isn't going anywhere. But their situation isn't great right now. They have 2 excellent sedans that are slow-selling, 3 nondescript CUVs and the Escalade. I could easily see them going fully electric, except with the Escalade offering both EV and ICE powertrains. 

I went to the 2019 Chicago Auto Show. The Cadillac display had 2 Escalades and a '59 Eldorado convertible that had crowds around them, but everything else was mostly ignored.

I thought Cadillac already said they were going full BEV only within a few years.  Or did I misread that?

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Who knows.  Their (and GM's) plan seems to change daily.

Found it.

Steve Carlisle, senior vice president and president of Cadillac — and soon to become executive vice president and president of North America — told reporters in December that by 2030, he expects “to see the internal combustion fade away and the electric start to dominate. We will be in a position to be 100% electric by the latter part of the decade."

9 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Gotta wonder if this is really just GM's first move in the process of shutting cadillac down.  Outside of Escalade, Cadillac has no reason to exist.  This way they can blame it on the dealers themselves for "not getting on board with the EV transition" and avoid all the bad press about big bad GM squeezing the poor little hometown dealers out of business.

If I was a Cadillac dealer looking at the prospect of having to try to make a profit pushing a [mostly] electric line in the coming years, I think I'd take the money and run.

Is Lincoln actually doing better than Caddy RN?

There are 5 EV Caddys on the way. This was a quote from the other thread about GM's accelerated EV product plan:

GM also moved up the production timelines for the GMC Hummer EV, three other GMC EVs, four Chevrolet EVs and four Cadillacs. The Lyriq, Cadillac's first full EV, will launch in the first quarter of 2022, nine months sooner than officials previously said.

That means the announced Lyric, plus an additional 4 Cadillacs. The article did not specify the exact timing of the other 4 models. Interesting that there will be 4 Chevys too - I wonder if the Caddy and Chevy models are paired? Or maybe the Caddy and GMC models?

Edited by Harley Lover

13 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Gotta wonder if this is really just GM's first move in the process of shutting cadillac down.

Just the opposite. It's GM's second move recently in the process of restoring Cadillac as a Tier 1 Luxury brand. The first move was accelerating the release of its BEV product lineup as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cadillac dealerships will be a integral part of making this process a success, those dealerships that aren't onboard with Cadillac's BEV strategy need to "get off the bus".  

7 hours ago, probowler said:

Is Lincoln actually doing better than Caddy RN?

No, not at this point. Once Ford announces more details about Lincoln's BEV strategy we'll know how it compares to Cadillac. The cancellation earlier this year of the planned Rivian based SUV for Lincoln was certainly bad news for Lincoln.

Edited by rperez817

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Just the opposite. It's GM's second move recently in the process of restoring Cadillac as a Tier 1 Luxury brand. The first move was accelerating the release of its BEV product lineup as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cadillac dealerships will be a integral part of making this process a success, those dealerships that aren't onboard with Cadillac's BEV strategy need to "get off the bus".  

Maybe.  I see it more as a last ditch effort to make Cadillac relevant again.  "All-in" on BEV is a very risky proposition at this point.  There is simply not enough BEV adoption in the next five years (despite what the idiot self proclaimed experts tell us - just look at adoption history over the last 10 years) to support a real business model for a traditional dealer.

Tesla's business model is selling carbon credits and hype, not cars.  That's not going to work for a GM brand because GM is in the business of selling actual cars.  You have to have competitive ICE and/or hybrids to sell alongside the BEVs for years yet.

BEV adoption is so slow because there's simply not any real benefit for most consumers.  So we see it being driven by govt mandate and climate guilt.  But honestly buying any new car is worse for the environment than keeping an older one, so I don't really get the climate guilt reason for buying a BEV either.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I believe the article said that most who took the buyout were in more rural areas and thus their customers were not interested in BEV vehicles. And Cadillac needed to thin out their dealership ranks just as Lincoln has to do with only 4 vehicles now and one stickering for $100,000+. Lincoln needs to announce new product soon.

15 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I believe the article said that most who took the buyout were in more rural areas and thus their customers were not interested in BEV vehicles. And Cadillac needed to thin out their dealership ranks just as Lincoln has to do with only 4 vehicles now and one stickering for $100,000+. Lincoln needs to announce new product soon.

If only Lincoln had access to the ultimate off-road SUV platform with which to upscale to compete against the Range rovers and G Wagons of the world.... Or if not a straight competition, then as a more attainable lower priced alternative.

Edited by probowler

5 hours ago, probowler said:

If only Lincoln had access to the ultimate off-road SUV platform with which to upscale to compete against the Range rovers and G Wagons of the world.... Or if not a straight competition, then as a more attainable lower priced alternative.

Navigator and Aviator already competes with those pretty well.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:08 AM, akirby said:

Navigator and Aviator already competes with those pretty well.

Do you really think Lincoln has the Land Rover image? Latest Lincoln advertising shows young woman pulling into mucho expensive mid century modern home and then seeking sanctuary in plush Aviator after seeing her unruly kids. Meanwhile, latest Land Rover commercials show it climbing thousands of steps, going on safari in Africa, and pulling a semi. And Ford used to own Land Rover!

Lincoln is all about "quiet luxury" and Land Rover about rugged luxury. Lincoln could use a more rugged looking luxury vehicle. They need something more than FOUR vehicles and only ONE SUV. Maybe they have something up their sleeve I hope, but I hope they reveal it soon. I would imagine they will use the Mach E platform for future product. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Lincoln is all about "quiet luxury" and Land Rover about rugged luxury. Lincoln could use a more rugged looking luxury vehicle. They need something more than FOUR vehicles and only ONE SUV. Maybe they have something up their sleeve I hope, but I hope they reveal it soon. I would imagine they will use the Mach E platform for future product. 

Well said FordBuyer sir. Maybe Ford will revisit its partnership with Rivian to collaborate on a truly off-road capable Lincoln vehicle. Rivian's R1S has off-road capabilities that match or beat Land Rover.