2021 Bronco Sport Fuel Economy

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/24/bronco-sport-epa-fuel-economy-mileage-figures/

Ford has given us one of the last missing pieces of the 2021 Bronco Sport puzzle: official fuel economy figures. While the EPA hasn't published them yet at fueleconomy.gov, following a tipster's lead (thanks, Jerry!) brought us straight to the Monroneys on Ford's public-facing site.

1.5L - 25 city / 28 highway / 25 combined (by comparison, AWD Escape gets 26 city / 31 highway / 28 combined)

2.0L - 21 city / 26 highway / 23 combined

• Like 3

22 hours ago, bzcat said:

I feel like there was another thread on this topic but I maybe wrong.

Anyway, the higher ground clearance with meatier tires and taller roof don't come without penalty. But still, 3 MPG is pretty significant hit. 

I wonder if the gearing/final drive ratio is also different, owing to Bronco Sport's different mission versus Escape?

27 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I wonder if the gearing/final drive ratio is also different, owing to Bronco Sport's different mission versus Escape?

That... plus I can't remember where I read it, but the new Escape supposedly has the lowest drag coefficient in it's class.  So it's more aerodynamic than the boxy Sport.

Edited by CoolScoop

44 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

That... plus I can't remember where I read it, but the new Escape supposedly has the lowest drag coefficient in it's class.  So it's more aerodynamic than the boxy Sport.

The Sport could use a hybrid model. The Crosstrek gets 30mpg combined. 26 mpg combined and even lower with AWD is not competitive anymore in this segment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

The Sport could use a hybrid model. The Crosstrek gets 30mpg combined. 26 mpg combined and even lower with AWD is not competitive anymore in this segment.

I do wonder if one is in the works for one day, same with the big Bronco. They'll probably reveal them together if it ends up happening. @PREMiERdrum have you heard anything? 

46 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It would certainly help.  It’s not a great look when a Tahoe (diesel) sips fuel at a slower rate than a compact SUV.  

I don’t, however, think these fuel economy numbers will affect sales in the slightest.  

1 minute ago, FR739 said:

It would certainly help.  It’s not a great look when a Tahoe (diesel) sips fuel at a slower rate than a compact SUV.  

I don’t, however, think these fuel economy numbers will affect sales in the slightest.  

I mean, could the same not be said of most of the compact class?

On 11/24/2020 at 12:40 PM, rmc523 said:

1.5L - 25 city / 28 highway / 25 combined (by comparison, AWD Escape gets 26 city / 31 highway / 28 combined)

2.0L - 21 city / 26 highway / 23 combined

How much extra does the 2.0L engine cost compared to the 1.5L? With such a small difference in fuel economy, seems like upgrading to the 2.0L is clearly the way to go on Bronco Sport. 

17 minutes ago, FR739 said:

No, not with $2 gas. But I think a lot of people look at fuel mileage numbers and compare. Not sure why Ford's little 3 cylinder engine gets such so so fuel mileage whether it be the Ecosport or Sport. But then the 3 cylinder Chevy Trailblazer gets about the same.

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

How much extra does the 2.0L engine cost compared to the 1.5L? With such a small difference in fuel economy, seems like upgrading to the 2.0L is clearly the way to go on Bronco Sport. 

Unfortunately, the 2.0 is only available and standard on the top end model. Only the 1.5L is available on the other trims.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, valve said:

Unfortunately, the 2.0 is only available and standard on the top end model. Only the 1.5L is available on the other trims.

That's too bad and Ford should correct that by 2022MY. For towing and powering through off road sites, the 2.0 makes the most sense and all around practicality. Mid level trims should offer the superior engine that lives up to the Bronco name. My Bronco II didn't have much hp, but it had V6 engine that could pull a trailer through heavy snow.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, valve said:

Thanks for the info valve sir! Hopefully Ford will expand availability of the 2.0L to the lower trims in 2022. FordBuyer's suggestion to offer the Escape Hybrid powertrain on Bronco Sport would be a nice addition too.

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I do wonder if one is in the works for one day, same with the big Bronco. They'll probably reveal them together if it ends up happening. @PREMiERdrum have you heard anything? 

I'd expect it to be a matter of when, not if, although probably not for at least a few years when they do an update.

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'd expect it to be a matter of when, not if, although probably not for at least a few years when they do an update.

Bronco Sport is a "transitional" model. Expect a modest MCE down the road, but the slot will be filled by something else at the end of this model's lifespan. Without a major shift, I wouldn't expect to ever see a Bronco Sport Hybrid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Bronco Sport is a "transitional" model. Expect a modest MCE down the road, but the slot will be filled by something else at the end of this model's lifespan. Without a major shift, I wouldn't expect to ever see a Bronco Sport Hybrid.

BEV Bronco Sport ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

I wonder what is meant as 'transitional' model? Temporarily? I hope that the replacement at the end of Bronco Sport's life will be a continual of the Bronco family.

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

BEV Bronco Sport ?

Now that would be interesting to see. Would explain lack of hybrid version.

Just now, pffan1990 said:

I wonder what is meant as 'transitional' model? Temporarily? I hope that the replacement at the end of Bronco Sport's life will be a continual of the Bronco family.

Now that would be interesting to see. Would explain lack of hybrid version.

Its also the most obvious choice. The Bronco Sport most likely will be on the market for 7-10 years in its current form...10 years from now I expect BEVs to be gaining market share. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its also the most obvious choice. The Bronco Sport most likely will be on the market for 7-10 years in its current form...10 years from now I expect BEVs to be gaining market share. 

Yeah it is. I actually just realized now that it's soon 2021. So with the 7-10 year market for Bronco Sport, it'll be around 2028 at least, by which time BEVs would be rising in production and sales. Sometimes I don't realize that 7-10 years from now is when we could be looking at an entirely different marketplace regarding auto sales. This explains why we're seeing the end of the ICE-powered Edge/Nautilus as the replacement in a few years is already the BEVs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex D. said:

Wow the Bronco Sport's rated mileage is more in line with an Edge ST rather than an Escape. It's amazing to see the difference aerodynamics and tires can have on economy!

I went from 22 to 20 mpg on my Fusion just changing tires.  Bigger tires and wheels and aerodynamics can be huge,

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

That's interesting. I'm definitely going to keep an ear open on that. 

• Like 1