2021 Bronco Sport Fuel Economy

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Wonder what real world mileage will be? I don’t ever get anywhere close to the epa numbers. I’d guess 19-20mpg is not out of the question.

Depends on your definition of real world.  I’m exceeding the EPA estimates on my F150.  All depends on how you drive.  I’m sure a lot of folks will meet or exceed epa estimates while some will be below.  Short trips will kill fuel economy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

Depends on your definition of real world.  I’m exceeding the EPA estimates on my F150.  All depends on how you drive.  I’m sure a lot of folks will meet or exceed epa estimates while some will be below.  Short trips will kill fuel economy.

Or lead foots like me ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I also exceed the EPA estimates with my Ecoboost Mustang.  I’ve been really pleased with it. 

• Like 1

Big tires kill fuel economy, it’s an issue on Ranger when people add them and get fuel economy similar to an F150. People have to understand that they add a lot of drag on the highway, so I’m not surprised by the Bronco Sport’s lower than expected highway numbers.

Changes have consequences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Big tires kill fuel economy, it’s an issue on Ranger when people add them and get fuel economy similar to an F150. People have to understand that they add a lot of drag on the highway, so I’m not surprised by the Bronco Sport’s lower than expected highway numbers.

Changes have consequences.

People worried about fuel economy shouldn't be looking for broncos, they should be looking at the Escape.

• Like 3

It’s people with unrealistic  expectations.

Put a big set of wheels and tires on Escape and the official highway mileage would probably drop to the same as Bronco Sport.

More frontal area would also drag down highway gas mileage, if you want the SUV look, there’s a price to pay.

Edited by jpd80

5 minutes ago, probowler said:

Could be as simple as the escape having highway eco tread and the bronco having a big more rugged AT tire? Combine that with a boxier shape, and maybe a heavier, tougher suspension system...

Bronco Sport probably has a softer tire compound too which compared to the super hard compounds they tend to favor normally will hurt fuel economy 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m satisfied with the fuel estimates for the 2.0L Bronco Sport. It’s a fair trade for the improved off-road capabilities vs. the current Escape. If my memory is correct the new Bronco Sport’s mileage is very close to my 2009 Escape 4WD V6. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, rperez817 said:

How much extra does the 2.0L engine cost compared to the 1.5L? With such a small difference in fuel economy, seems like upgrading to the 2.0L is clearly the way to go on Bronco Sport. 

In real world use once you load it down with 4 passengers, cargo and start pushing a wind I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2.0L ends up getting better MPG than the 1.5L.

Edited by 2005Explorer

On 11/26/2020 at 9:01 PM, akirby said:

B7C17007-BD00-4340-852A-7C9A791F3821.jpeg

That’s an impressive gain in city mpg.  Considering how the city cycle is weighted for cafe, I can see why Ford is optimizing for it and we don’t see similar improvements in highway mpg.  Ecoboost makes a bigger difference in city driving.  Stop start helps too.

27 minutes ago, slemke said:

That’s an impressive gain in city mpg.  Considering how the city cycle is weighted for cafe, I can see why Ford is optimizing for it and we don’t see similar improvements in highway mpg.  Ecoboost makes a bigger difference in city driving.  Stop start helps too.

8 and 10 speed trannys help a lot too.  

• Like 1