Rearview mirror wiring?

DonJVegas

I've a 2020 Aviator Black Label, with what I've always sworn is an auto-dimming mirror.

I'm looking to tap its wiring for a mirror-mounted radar detector. However, there's no plug on the dang thing.

So either I'm wrong (and searches for OEM parts all turn up a "w/o electrochroamatic" model, so this is super-possible), or the wiring is somehow routed through the mounting arm.

I'm a little reluctant to pop the mirror off just to check, so wanted to see if anyone could confirm. The mirror does have what looks like a sensor of some kind, but... I mean, usually the wiring on these is pretty hard to miss.

2 hours ago, DonJVegas said:

I've a 2020 Aviator Black Label, with what I've always sworn is an auto-dimming mirror.

I'm looking to tap its wiring for a mirror-mounted radar detector. However, there's no plug on the dang thing.

So either I'm wrong (and searches for OEM parts all turn up a "w/o electrochroamatic" model, so this is super-possible), or the wiring is somehow routed through the mounting arm.

I'm a little reluctant to pop the mirror off just to check, so wanted to see if anyone could confirm. The mirror does have what looks like a sensor of some kind, but... I mean, usually the wiring on these is pretty hard to miss.

My Aviator GT has the frameless auto dimming mirror and it definitely works well and turns on when you get headlight glare from behind so I will agree that it is electronically powered.  It also triggers the driver's side exterior mirror to dim at the same time.  I've never looked behind mine to see if there's a wire harness but I'm pretty sure the wiring is all built in or routed through the mounting bracket because that whole area behind the mirror also has the forward facing camera on it you can see it from outside the windshield so there would be wiring behind there.

You may need to pull the headliner or remove some trim pieces to get at the wiring.

• Like 1

I'd been meaning to upload this for a while. I wanted to mount a dash camera on my GT so I probed the wires in the mirror harness to find out which were hot. Take a look at the picture to make sure you're tapping the right ones, but black is negative and white is positive. It's very easy to get access to all this, just pry around the edge of the panel that goes from the headliner to the mirror and it pops right off. I've been running my dash cam with this tap for a few months with no issues.

harness.thumb.jpg.f166e00d8fa9aa0446ccd086a9423eaa.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My BlackVue dashcam has an ignition, an accessory, and a ground wire.

I guess I will use the white wire shown here under the rear view mirror for the ignition wire, and run the ground and accessory all the way down the A pillar to the fuse box for the accessory and find a ground down that way also.

Unless there is a better way.

Thank you