2018 Cadillac XT4 Accident

T hawker

Last week my friend in SC had an accident in his 2018 XT4.  Right front impact taking out his bumper, headlight and fender.   I looked up availability of replacement parts for him and found that the headlight has been discontinued without a replacement,  his Cadillac dealership confirmed this, although they have a small inventory of them so his car will be repaired.  I thought manufacturers had to provide parts for their vehicles for 10 years?  Any thoughts or info on this?

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Seems strange, especially with it only being 2 model years old.  I didn't think they've changed anything on the XT4 since then, have they?

According to my friend the 2019 is the same.  I will find out about the 2020, he purchased one yesterday to replace the damaged one.  Once the repairs are done he will donate it to someone in need.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:49 AM, T hawker said:

Last week my friend in SC had an accident in his 2018 XT4.  Right front impact taking out his bumper, headlight and fender.   I looked up availability of replacement parts for him and found that the headlight has been discontinued without a replacement,  his Cadillac dealership confirmed this, although they have a small inventory of them so his car will be repaired.  I thought manufacturers had to provide parts for their vehicles for 10 years?  Any thoughts or info on this?

If no part was available-would the insurance company total a car over a headlight? After all-the car wouldn't be made "whole" and would be illegal to drive.

Interesting thought.................

Edited by CKNSLS

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

If no part was available-would the insurance company total a car over a headlight? After all-the car wouldn't be made "whole" and would be illegal to drive.

Interesting thought.................

Good question,  but i thought there was a regulation requiring parts being available for 10 years.

2 hours ago, T hawker said:

Good question,  but i thought there was a regulation requiring parts being available for 10 years.

Actually, there aren't any rules saying this.  See this article in Hemmings Auto News.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/08/03/ask-a-hemmings-editor-how-long-do-carmakers-have-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, mackinaw said:

Actually, there aren't any rules saying this.  See this article in Hemmings Auto News.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/08/03/ask-a-hemmings-editor-how-long-do-carmakers-have-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

Very interesting,  thank you for the info.  My friend believes the shape of the headlight on the 2020 is the same but all of the "guts" are different.  I would think manufacturers would want to make "body" parts especially those parts at the front and rear of vehicles for years.  Unfortunately we humans even on a good day make mistakes.  As I've said in other posts I'm purchasing Cashmere interior parts for my BL Nautilus,  now i need to consider exterior parts as well.