Ford picks Cologne plant to build new EV in Europe

On 12/5/2020 at 3:53 PM, jpd80 said:

My boss now works from home and rarely comes to the office, he now uses the three hours he previously spent commuting to do more actual work from home. That right there is an example of why AVs can be completely skipped thanks to work from home.

AV and EV can actually be a complement to the benefits provided by telework/work from home, as now a higher proportion of driving is for non-commuting purposes such as personal travel or errands.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

AV and EV can actually be a complement to the benefits provided by telework/work from home, as now a higher proportion of driving is for non-commuting purposes such as personal travel or errands.

The thing is that if anything AVs would create more traffic. Just using this as a metric-you'd need 3 vehicles to replace one if there was no ownership of vehicles...one to drive a person around, another that needs to be on standby to pick up another person in the same area and maybe a 3rd as a backup if there is a failure. 

22 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Employees love working from home/telework, surveys done by HR companies like Robert Half indicate that telework is one of the best recruiting incentives. The main reason that telework benefits businesses is the dramatic improvement in productivity and satisfaction for employees. Related to that is reduction in employee turnover. Real estate cost savings are icing on the cake.

Covid-19 actions simply accelerated a trend that has been going on more than 25 years, specifically that telework is the fastest growing "commuting" mode.

Teleworking can provide many benefits to the economy, the company and worker. But overall, the productivity impact of the current sudden surge is unclear, as this OECD study explains. 

-------------------

"Overall, for firm-level productivity to increase with telework it is therefore crucial that worker satisfaction increases enough to offset the potentially negative effects on communication, knowledge flows and managerial oversight. The relative strength of these channels in turn is likely to depend on the intensity of telework: the negative effect due to the lack of personal interactions likely becomes stronger with telework intensity, as opportunities for in-person communication diminish, while worker satisfaction improves with low levels of telework but may suffer from ‘excessive’ teleworking, e.g. due to solitude or a fusing of private and professional life. Worker efficiency therefore improves with low levels of telework but decreases with ‘excessive telework’, implying a ‘sweet spot’ where worker efficiency – and thus productivity – is maximised at intermediate levels of telework, although it should be noted that the exact form of this relationship likely varies with the relative importance of these factors by sector and occupation."

https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/productivity-gains-from-teleworking-in-the-post-covid-19-era-a5d52e99/

36 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

But overall, the productivity impact of the current sudden surge is unclear, as this OECD study explains. 

Good info Gurgeh sir, that makes sense. To fully realize the significant improvement in productivity telework can provide, employers have to ensure that telework policies for employees are clearly documented and communicated. And as the OECD article mentioned, that should include discussions between employers and employees about avoiding the temptation to overwork.

In the U.S., many federal government agencies including the one I serve as a contractor have put together formal telework policies including expected work hours and days, information protection and security, technical support for computer and communication systems, etc. 

For people who are used to working with a colocated team and interacting on a daily basis I can see how it would be difficult to adjust.  Or if your home situation is disruptive.   But if you’re like me and most of my larger organization and all your work is done virtually with people in other cities, states and countries via webex, email and IM even when you’re sitting in the office, you’re just as if not more productive working from home.  My wife has worked 100% virtual for 20 years.  Nobody she works with is even in the same state.  

Younger employees have expressed concern about career development but I’ve had remote supervisors since 1995.  If you do good work it doesn’t matter.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2020 at 12:38 AM, akirby said:

For people who are used to working with a colocated team and interacting on a daily basis I can see how it would be difficult to adjust.  Or if your home situation is disruptive.   But if you’re like me and most of my larger organization and all your work is done virtually with people in other cities, states and countries via webex, email and IM even when you’re sitting in the office, you’re just as if not more productive working from home.  My wife has worked 100% virtual for 20 years.  Nobody she works with is even in the same state.  

Younger employees have expressed concern about career development but I’ve had remote supervisors since 1995.  If you do good work it doesn’t matter.

Its funny, the whole reason offices and business predicts were created in the first places was that manual communication systems would be as efficient as possible. Everything from memos, notice boards, inter office messages, paper based communication, mail via couriers, going to meetings with other companies.....all these things can be replaced with 21st century communications like email, Internet meetings, logging on remotely..most cases, there's little to no reason physically going into work. Eventually, all that office space can go and with it, the need to travel to and from work.

I wonder if office space will become apartments.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Its funny, the whole reason offices and business predicts were created in the first places was that manual communication systems would be as efficient as possible. Everything from memos, notice boards, inter office messages, paper based communication, mail via couriers, going to meetings with other companies.....all these things can be replaced with 21st century communications like email, Internet meetings, logging on remotely..most cases, there's little to no reason physically going into work. Eventually, all that office space can go and with it, the need to travel to and from work.

I wonder if office space will become apartments.....

There are shopping malls that are being redeveloped to fill large spaces previously occupied by anchor stores with apartments and/or condominiums. In addition, other malls are being converted for new medical facilities. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

There are shopping malls that are being redeveloped to fill large spaces previously occupied by anchor stores with apartments and/or condominiums. In addition, other malls are being converted for new medical facilities. 

Yes sir ice-capades. Another way that dead shopping mall physical plant is being converted to a new use is data center. In San Antonio, the former Windsor Park Mall has been turned into the HQ and main data center for Rackspace. 

1200x0.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:15 AM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir ice-capades. Another way that dead shopping mall physical plant is being converted to a new use is data center. In San Antonio, the former Windsor Park Mall has been turned into the HQ and main data center for Rackspace. 

1200x0.jpg

So, all those places people no longer need to drive to actually removes a lot of vehicles off the road at peak times.

There will be need for some autonomous vehicles but i wonder if people actually rediscover the fun of driving 

somewhere when all the gridlock is eliminated..

The new world may be a little different to what we imagine.....fun to speculate though.

Edited by jpd80

Malls have been dying for the past 20 years. There's a leadership class that I'm asked to speak on, and this is a common concern that citizens usually ask.  As I tell them...

MY cars are black, looking around for a tree to park under..."Oh yeah, you cut the trees down so the store signs can be seen"....

Finally find one far off, walk to the door, immediatly the first kiosk.."OH how would you like a free spinal diagnosed"... Next one... "Hey do you need a new cellphone?"..."Oh just Are you interested in a new phone case"... ALL the while I just WANT TO get to Bath and Body works to by a gift card for a friend...

Finally I make it to "Bath and Body Works", before I even step in "Hi, can I help you?, here is a Basket, my name is Diane".. I'm like "I just need to get a gift card thanks"....

Then 2-3 more times I'm being greeted.  Get to the counter to ask for a gift card "Hi can I have you zip code"... (Hmm No you dont need my zip code)... "Can I have your email address for coupons?"... (Hmm no, your coupons will expire in a few days and I'm not coming to this hellhole for months!"), "Are you part of our rewards program".... (LOOK I just want a damn gift card, heres my credit card, STOP IT!!!"...)

Then finally I purchase it, and in reverse order "HI welcome to Bath and Body works can I help you" (I'm leaving thank you!)..."Oh Hi would you like a new case for your cellphone"..."Oh would you like a 5 minute foot massage"... as I'm speed walking to GTF out of the mall, RUNNING...

Then be greeted to a hot car I had to turn on from inside the mall to cool it off (I live in Orlando, FL)...

So yes, malls are failing. Depending on the market they are being remodeled to something of better use. Apartments, Offices, Hospital, Etc. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

So yes, malls are failing. Depending on the market they are being remodeled to something of better use. Apartments, Offices, Hospital, Etc. 

At least 3 current shopping malls in the U.S. used to be Ford factories.

Assembly Square Marketplace, former Somerville Assembly.

photo.aspx?mls=72744646&n=41&w=1024&h=76

Edison Towne Square, former Edison Assembly.

56c5aa07-63c1-49a2-a935-3bea72099bb5-Edi  

Pico Rivera Towne Center, former Los Angeles Assembly.

image.jpg

Also, part of the former Wixom Assembly plant is now occupied by a Menards home improvement store.

98357465_hx9KVi2rW8XMXHqqgI1RWsP-bSJOSsD