General Motors - Nikola Memorandum

ice-capades

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So, I ask again, what is Nikola providing here?  If GM is providing the powertrain?

Everything else?

So GM is moving forward with a hydrogen fuel cell?  Didn’t we conclude that hydrogen fuel cells aren’t feasible?  I know it’s GM but......

• Like 1

I wonder if the fuel cell is of more interest to GM's EV partner, Honda. I don't know hardly anything about the situation in Japan (or Korea) when it comes to EV's, but Toyota seems hellbent for leather to make a go of fuel cells - so perhaps there is the possibility of a supporting infrastructure in Japan for hydrogen? Anyway, the GM fuel cell might give Honda a short cut to be able to compete with Toyota (and Hyundai, which also seem hellbent to develop fuel cells).

10 hours ago, sullynd said:

Huh? Honda has had fuel cell vehicles for years. 

https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-fuel-cell

Yes sir sullynd. Also, GM and Honda established a joint venture to manufacture hydrogen fuel (fool) cell systems in 2017. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2017/jan/0130-tunein.html

On 11/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, akirby said:

Everything else?

So GM is moving forward with a hydrogen fuel cell?  Didn’t we conclude that hydrogen fuel cells aren’t feasible?  I know it’s GM but......

Nothing else.  The semi truck sans power plant will be sourced from Iveco/CNH.  

Fuel cells might have an application in long distance heavy trucks.  Fuel cells do not necessarily have to use hydrogen........ 

I think GM wants to supply fuel cell and battery power to heavy truck manufacturers, much as Cummins supplies diesel engines.  I think at this point Nikola is just another potential customer for GM.  

Edited by 7Mary3