11/30/20 - New SYNC 3 update available (SYNC 3.0.20204). Updated.

bbf2530

Hi gang. There is a new SYNC 3 update available. It is listed as "SYNC v3.0.20204".

Go to the Lincoln Owners (or Ford Owners) website to download.

I have downloaded the file to my USB drive and will post back when I have time to take the required 30+ minute drive (instructions state it will take 25-35 minutes for this update).

Can also state that the instructions have been made much clearer and understandable for this update.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

Hi gang. Performed the update late this afternoon and here are my observations: Everything went very smoothly. The entire update only took ~5 minutes. Far less than the 25-35 minute estimate on the update site. Keep in mind that all messages I have in quotes below are approximations of the messages I received, not exact quotes.

So here are some more details: I followed the SYNC update website instructions. Remove all devices that are plugged into any USB ports. Start car, leave in park. Insert USB drive containing the update. Go my merry way.

I received the "Your update is complete...remove USB...update will complete on next restart of car..." message about 5 minutes into my drive. After another 5 minutes, I clicked "Okay" on the message. It disappeared.

Having received premature "Your update is complete..." messages in the past, I left the USB in for another 25 minutes (the remaining length of the drive to my destination). Nothing happened. No reboots, restarts etc.

Once I arrived, I removed the USB, turned off the engine, opened the drivers door, waited about 10 seconds, closed the drivers door, waited another ~30 seconds, and restarted my car.

First boot up after restart was slow. After that, all is well and smooth.

My SYNC screen displayed a message that "Your system had been successfully updated." I then went into my SYNC settings and checked to see if it listed the update. It did, stating my car had been updated to SYNC v3.0.20204. Yes, different than the update number v3.0.202041. Can't explain that yet.

When I got back home, I went back to the SYNC 3 update website and followed the instructions to notify Lincoln/Ford of my successful update. Followed the instructions and my SYNC version now shows as updated on the website.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer. Hope this information helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

2 hours ago, Sgt1411 said:

That's only for those older SYNC3 vehicles with V3.0

If the vehicle is newer and is running SYNC3 v3.4 there appears to be nothing newer then build 20136, unless the Ford Owners SYNC update page is lying to me again.

Hi Sgt. Yes, that this update and thread are referring to SYNC 3.0 is stated in the title and in the first post. (SYNC 3.0.202041).

Did some quick research, and it seems SYNC 3.4.20136 is the latest version of SYNC 3.4. So the Ford Owners SYNC page does not hate you. ?

And just as an FYI for others: SYNC 3.0 is not that old. The majority of 2018 and a good number of 2019 Lincoln/Ford vehicles were equipped with SYNC 3.0.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi gang. To avoid confusion, just a quick heads up on this SYNC 3 update: Lincoln/Ford have updated their SYNC 3 update websites to show the update is actually version v3.0.20204 (not v3.0.202041). So that is the version which which will show on your vehicle's SYNC screen in your "About SYNC" setting after a successful update.

The original "v3/0/202041" listing was a typo on the website.

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

Is this the GPS update, or a firmware for the entire Sync3 system? I passed up the GPS update since I get updated maps on my phone via Apple CarPlay.

Now my Sync3 system has started to become intermittently unresponsive, not just the touch screen but also the other ways of control (volume and tuning knob and voice commands).

My car is a '17 MKZ purchased in September '17.

1 hour ago, MichaelP said:

Is this the GPS update, or a firmware for the entire Sync3 system? I passed up the GPS update since I get updated maps on my phone via Apple CarPlay.

Now my Sync3 system has started to become intermittently unresponsive, not just the touch screen but also the other ways of control (volume and tuning knob and voice commands).

My car is a '17 MKZ purchased in September '17.

Hi Micjhael. It is the latest factory update for SYNC 3.0 and I believe it should apply to your 2017 MKZ, if you have not updated recently.

It is not a NAV maps update. They are updated separately, from a different website.

Just go to the SYNC 3 update website and input your VIN. https://help.lincoln.com/update-sync/

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a 2017 Fusion and the "sync" system is dreadfully slow. Navigation has become useless because it is always 30-90 seconds behind. Even functions such as contr4olling the HVAC system are delayed.

It acts like a PC that needs to be re-booted. I reset the system, but it doesn't help.

Any suggestions? Any and all advice will be appreciated.