Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/12/01/mustang-mach-e-gt-performance-edition.html

Highlights.

• 480 horsepower (358 kilowatts) and 634 lb.-ft. of torque (860 newton-meters)
  • 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds
  • EPA-estimated range of 235 miles
  • 19-inch front brakes with red-painted Brembo® calipers 
  • 20-inch machined-face Ebony Black-painted pockets paired with 245/45R20 Pirelli summer tires
  • MagneRide® damping

Mustang-Mach-E-GT-Performance-Edition-01

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/12/01/mustang-mach-e-gt-performance-edition.html

Highlights.

• 20-inch machined-face Ebony Black-painted pockets paired with 245/45R20 Pirelli summer tires
  • MagneRide® damping

Oh no, is this going to be another "can't ship in winter" vehicle?

HRG

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Highlights.

• MagneRide® damping

Mustang-Mach-E-GT-Performance-Edition-01

amazing how wheels perk up the overall appearance...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I’m going to say it. Acceleration wise, this is going to upset some GT500 owners. I would bet getting a good launch consistently with the AWD will be the norm. Can’t say that with GT500. Plus you will get a nice tax deduction instead of a GG Tax.

Yes sir, Shelby GT500's main downside (beyond the use of ICE in general) is that torque overwhelms the grip provided by the rear tires. 0-60 mph acceleration time should actually be a tick better on the Mach-E GT Performance Edition because of this.

33 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, Shelby GT500's main downside (beyond the use of ICE in general) is that torque overwhelms the grip provided by the rear tires. 0-60 mph acceleration time should actually be a tick better on the Mach-E GT Performance Edition because of this.

I’m not sure you know the definition of downside.  Being powered by an ICE not only means that particular Mustang is more reliable, but it will be MUCH more fun to drive.  At the end of the day the Mach E is still an SUV.  

And isn’t that the point of vehicles like the Mustang?  Fun?  Nothing beats hanging the tail out while being serenaded by the symphony of a V8.  

But anyway what are your thoughts on the recent Consumer Reports press release where they found numerous issues with current electric cars specifically the Model Y from your guy Elon being emphatically “not recommended”?

Further, current electric cars did so poorly, that CR (and I do NOT agree with this) prematurely downgraded the predicted reliability of new EVs including the Mach E. 

This must be a conundrum for you.  Perhaps the ICE isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. 

https://autos.yahoo.com/electric-cars-problems-latest-consumer-213700323.html

2 hours ago, FR739 said:

This must be a conundrum for you.  Perhaps the ICE isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. 

No conundrum FR739 sir. BEV and ICE both have their advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately the unsustainable nature of ICE, at least when powered by fossil fuels, will make it a relic of history soon.

In an automotive industry whose end game is 100% electric vehicles, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition represents the future of Ford's hi-po vehicle design and engineering efforts.

Edited by rperez817

55 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

ultimately the unsustainable nature of ICE, at least when powered by fossil fuels, will make it a relic of history soon.

Biggest line of garbage I’ve ever seen.  Completely unsubstantiated opinion.   

ICE vehicles will be around for a very long time.  Easily out lasting you, me, and future generations.  

Even your guy Elon essentially said ICE vehicles are not going anywhere.  Recently he said he thinks EVs alone will double global electricity demand.  Well we can’t handle the demand we have now and they are not building new power plants.  So you’re kinda dead in the water right now.  

• Like 2

Development (electric) should have been led by motorcycles first....what japan has found (tech) with small electric cycles and battery range is curious to me (fuel cell).... the world automotive industry outside japan appears to be playing same game as in 74....nobody yet understands  the downside to electrification....expect the middle east to boil....i would urge (caution) electrification going forth be incremental and with small steps...they want gov't in control (forced regulation) and that snake will inject venom into them as well....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FR739 said:

ICE vehicles will be around for a very long time.  Easily out lasting you, me, and future generations.  

Even your guy Elon essentially said ICE vehicles are not going anywhere.  Recently he said he thinks EVs alone will double global electricity demand.  Well we can’t handle the demand we have now and they are not building new power plants.  So you’re kinda dead in the water right now.  

He thinks if he keeps repeating it will be true.

What I see happening in the next 10 years is that your going to see something around a 30-40-20 split in the market

20% ICE only

40% Hybrid/PHEV

30% BEV

IMO My next vehicle after my Bronco (if I don't get a weekend car aka new Mustang) will be a BEV, but I can support charging at home and my commute to work is short, so I'd have to charge it like once a week or so. 

The infrastructure to support BEVs needs to be built out more (I live in a county that is in the 1.2% wealthiest counties in the US) and I think there might be a grand total of two Tesla super charging stations within 15-20 miles of my house. Even looking at Electrify America (VW charging stations) there really isn't much in the area to support BEVs in the new few years. 

I figure that in 10 years they'll have pretty much a 300 mile range down pat in any weather conditions and charging stations (if I take a road trip) will be built out enough that a full recharge will only take as long as it takes to get lunch at Panera or something. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

You must be referring to the repeated denials by some on this forum that fossil fuel powered ICE is unsustainable. Or think that it's "opinion".

Fortunately, governments around the world aren't among the deniers and have already established bans on the sale of new ICE powered cars and trucks as soon as 2030. More and more governments will do this, and the timeframes will probably be accelerated.

Edited by rperez817

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

You must be referring to the repeated denials by some on this forum that fossil fuel powered ICE is unsustainable. Or think that it's "opinion".

Fortunately, governments around the world aren't among the deniers and have already established bans on the sale of new ICE powered cars and trucks as soon as 2030. More and more governments will do this, and the timeframes will probably be accelerated.

If it’s unsustainable we wouldn’t need government bans.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The damage done by fossil fuels, environmental and otherwise, is extensive. Government action including bans on the sale of ICE powered motor vehicles is inevitable.

Also just looking at the timeline of this-Europe didn't have (or at least have a centralized plan due to the creation of the EU) til 1992. The US started in 1973. The EU wants to ban ICE cars in 10 years or so in some countries...thats pretty asine to assume that a change can happen that quickly. 

But using fossil fuels suddenly its not a problem with generating electricity? 

All your doing is stove piping the problem..and if the electrical grid isn't invested to support all these changes, their will be even bigger problems. Just take a look at what happens in California with their electrical grid.

I'm not a fan of centralizing things without an alternative course of action.

The real issue is that expecting things to happen without laying out a plan to actually make it happen, instead handing out edicts that can't be support without  changes in other places.

All you hear about is oh we are banning ICE powered vehicles, but they never state that X amount of funds are being spend on charging stations or new green power generation.

Edited by silvrsvt

13 hours ago, FR739 said:

I agree with you, but within 10 years I would think every Ford vehicle assembled will have some form of battery in it, be it hybrid, plug in, or electric only. So Ford will still be building ICE far into the future. And used ICE vehicles will be on the road for years after that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

What I see happening in the next 10 years is that your going to see something around a 30-40-20 split in the market

20% ICE only

40% Hybrid/PHEV

30% BEV

IMO My next vehicle after my Bronco (if I don't get a weekend car aka new Mustang) will be a BEV, but I can support charging at home and my commute to work is short, so I'd have to charge it like once a week or so. 

The infrastructure to support BEVs needs to be built out more (I live in a county that is in the 1.2% wealthiest counties in the US) and I think there might be a grand total of two Tesla super charging stations within 15-20 miles of my house. Even looking at Electrify America (VW charging stations) there really isn't much in the area to support BEVs in the new few years. 

I figure that in 10 years they'll have pretty much a 300 mile range down pat in any weather conditions and charging stations (if I take a road trip) will be built out enough that a full recharge will only take as long as it takes to get lunch at Panera or something. 

This is about where I am too - if Ford had offered a hybrid Bronco (either regular or PHEV), I'd go with that now, but they don't, so normal ICE it is for this one.

I have considered a MME (and I'd be lying if I said the tax credit doesn't make it more appealing), but I just don't know if I'm ready for a full BEV yet, with an uncertain housing situation going forward (may be moving soon and don't know if it'll be a condo without chargers, or a house where one can be installed), I don't think it's feasible to make that jump just yet. 

• Like 1