Explorer problems solved?

Just curious if the issues plaguing the 2020 Explorer have been remedied. There are great incentives on them currently, so thinking about grabbing one. Does anyone have any insight to this? Should I look for the production date on the window sticker to be after a certain date? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Melltimejr said:

Just curious if the issues plaguing the 2020 Explorer have been remedied. There are great incentives on them currently, so thinking about grabbing one. Does anyone have any insight to this? Should I look for the production date on the window sticker to be after a certain date? Thanks!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2020/11/19/ford-explorer-ranks-among-lowest-scoring-models-reliability-survey/3770227001/

2 hours ago, Melltimejr said:

Just curious if the issues plaguing the 2020 Explorer have been remedied. 

According to the techs working on them - not yet.  But hard to tell if those are newer or older builds.  If you test drive it and check for cosmetic/fitment issues and it seems ok and you understand you might have to get a couple of issues fixed then it might be worth taking a chance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at and drove  a 2021 Explorer today. It was an XLT, 202A and Sport Equipment Group all wheel drive. Very nice vehicle, dynamically, highway noise level, power.

The only issue I had was NVH between 35 to 55 mph. This must be related to the use of the big 2.3 liter ecoboost 4 cylinder.

I was hoping that ford would get its act completely together after one model year behind them but for a $42,000 vehicle,  I decided not to purchase the vehicle.

I had a 2011 Explorer with the 3.5V6 and it was a smoother vehicle in the 35 to 55 mph speed range. 
The 2021 Explorer is crying out for a V6 as far as I am concerned 

edselford

You are right. They are much more expensive.

An alternative is a Lincoln Aviator but that too is in the $55000 price range!

I did like the low end torque of the 2.3 ecoboost. It had plenty of power.

Does this engine have a balance shaft or two?

I do remember when Daimler took over Chrysler, they told us that two counter rotating balance shafts would be required to smooth out our Chrysler  2.4 liter four cylinder. We never spent the extra money to add the second shaft!

edselford

21 hours ago, akirby said:

There are 2 available - the ST's 3.0L Twin Turbo and the Hybrid 3.3L.  And yes I know they're more expensive and you really meant the NA 3.5L but it's history.

I wonder if the Fleet company that supplies my company car would be willing to order and sell a "fleet" version with the NA3.3 V6 to me?

HRG

2021 explorer base 3.3NA V6.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I wonder if the Fleet company that supplies my company car would be willing to order and sell a "fleet" version with the NA3.3 V6 to me?

Yes sir HotRunrGuy, if it's a company car titled under either your employer or the fleet company that works with your employer with a FIN code, they should be able to order a 2021 Explorer Base with 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 FFV engine for you.

FIN code requirements. https://www.fleet.ford.com/get-started/eligibility-documentation/

33 minutes ago, edselford said:

I do remember when Daimler took over Chrysler, they told us that two counter rotating balance shafts would be required to smooth out our Chrysler  2.4 liter four cylinder. We never spent the extra money to add the second shaft!

edselford

You are correct edselford sir, inline 4-cylinder engines with balance shafts including the Ford 2.3L EcoBoost use two of them rotating in opposite directions.

Edited by rperez817

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir HotRunrGuy, if it's a company car titled under either your employer or the fleet company that works with your employer with a FIN code, they should be able to order a 2021 Explorer Base with 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 FFV engine for you.

FIN code requirements. https://www.fleet.ford.com/get-started/eligibility-documentation/

They'd have to order it under a valid FIN account and then would have to have it re-invoiced from a fleet order to stock. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edselford said:

You are right. They are much more expensive.

An alternative is a Lincoln Aviator but that too is in the $55000 price range!

I did like the low end torque of the 2.3 ecoboost. It had plenty of power.

edselford

I don’t recall hearing about the problem you described with the 2.3L.  Did you try more than one?

10 hours ago, edselford said:

akirby, good idea to try another vehicle. The one I tried had 20” tires. I will try one with 18” tires.

Do you know anything about the noise cancelling system on the Explorer? 

Thanks

edselford

Can you tell me where you saw a reference to the noise cancelling feature on the Explorer? The only reference I can dig up so far is the Noise Suppression Bond Straps option on a Police Interceptor. I haven't been able to find anything else in the 2021 Explorer Order Guide, the brochure or the Dealer's eSource Book.  

13 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Just went through the attached Aviator brochure and couldn't find anything about a "noise cancelling" feature there either. Maybe someone else will have more luck!

2021 Lincoln Aviator Brochure.pdf

Aviator Order guide lists it as a noise reduction module on Reserve models only.  I don’t think Explorer has ever had it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Aviator Order guide lists it as a noise reduction module on Reserve models only.  I don’t think Explorer has ever had it.

Thanks! Just saw that as part of the Adaptive Suspension on the Aviator Reserve. Go figure... the one place I hadn't look at yet and there it is! Thanks again!

• Like 1