Gen 3 Raptor

46 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

Am I remembering correctly that this truck is getting the gt500's 5.2 engine? Will that go away when the 6.8 gets here? Or is there going to be 3 engine options in the raptor?

Hasn't been announced, but a lot of speculation. The arrival of the TRX has made some wonder whether Ford will have two tiers of Raptors. A Halo limited edition (possibly R) with the GT500 engine in it to stomp the TRX and have high price to match. Then a Raptor base similar to what we have now. What engine will the base have? It's entirely possible that it could have the same 3.5 that is in it but tuned up for more HP and TQ. 500/600 is a possibility in the 3.5. The GT shows what the engine can do but I would imagine it wouldn't go that high since it's not a race car, it's a heavy truck. The other theory, is that the base engine will be some version of a Powerboost engine. All 3 engines are plausible. There has been no mention of the 6.8, other than people wanting a big V8 hoping.

We'll see soon. Not exactly sure when but the 2021 F150 is already being built. I would expect an announcement before February with a late 2021MY availability or possible 2022MY. I fully expect Ford to take back the crown from the TRX whatever the engine choices end up being.

• Like 1

I can’t believe you guys aren’t as skeptical as I am of putting a spiral rotor supercharged engine in a vehicle that may see incredible amounts of dust and silt. 

No I pray that Ford doesn’t follow Ram off the cliff just to win a pissing contest with the TRX. I think the future 6.8 in N/A form or an upgraded 3.5 EB would be a much more livable package. 

As it is right now the TRX is 800 pounds heavier than the Raptor. Why give that massive advantage away?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

I can’t believe you guys aren’t as skeptical as I am of putting a spiral rotor supercharged engine in a vehicle that may see incredible amounts of dust and silt. 

No I pray that Ford doesn’t follow Ram off the cliff just to win a pissing contest with the TRX. I think the future 6.8 in N/A form or an upgraded 3.5 EB would be a much more livable package. 

I bet less than 5% of Raptors ever see dusty conditions.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Hasn't been announced, but a lot of speculation. The arrival of the TRX has made some wonder whether Ford will have two tiers of Raptors. A Halo limited edition (possibly R) with the GT500 engine in it to stomp the TRX and have high price to match. Then a Raptor base similar to what we have now. What engine will the base have? It's entirely possible that it could have the same 3.5 that is in it but tuned up for more HP and TQ. 500/600 is a possibility in the 3.5. The GT shows what the engine can do but I would imagine it wouldn't go that high since it's not a race car, it's a heavy truck. The other theory, is that the base engine will be some version of a Powerboost engine. All 3 engines are plausible. There has been no mention of the 6.8, other than people wanting a big V8 hoping.

We'll see soon. Not exactly sure when but the 2021 F150 is already being built. I would expect an announcement before February with a late 2021MY availability or possible 2022MY. I fully expect Ford to take back the crown from the TRX whatever the engine choices end up being.

A Raptor R and Bronco R would be so cool.

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I saw one on the road today near the Dearborn test track. It could have been the camo doing its job but it looked to be bigger than the outgoing one. 

One thing I hope they don’t try to match the Ram on is the width.  The truck is currently wide enough, and I’m not sure why Ram thought that was necessary.  Now I wouldn’t mind about 1” or more of additional ground clearance.  

One thing they could consider doing is a higher clearance model.  The Bronco has models for different types of off-roading, so perhaps they could do something similar. 

I personally think they are going to offer two engine options.    They won’t let Ram win the engine war. There will be a base engine that will allow for the current price point and then there will be the Predator version to knock the Ram down where it should be.  Looking forward to seeing the next iteration.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There seem to be a consensus from the media on the 5.2 V8 from GT500 as the engine of choice. These "leaks" or speculations are not random. They must have all been briefed by Ford's PR, which has been doing a fantastic job of managing the media the last year or so on Bronco, Bronco Sport, F-150, and MACH E launches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bzcat said:

There seem to be a consensus from the media on the 5.2 V8 from GT500 as the engine of choice. These "leaks" or speculations are not random. They must have all been briefed by Ford's PR, which has been doing a fantastic job of managing the media the last year or so on Bronco, Bronco Sport, F-150, and MACH E launches.

Sarcasm? 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Hm, not sure "fantastic" is the word I'd use with Bronco launch.

Whatever happens from here, Ford can milk a new apex  Raptor V8 for all it's worth.

We know that the 5.2 is here for a limited time until the line closes down so Ford can 

make book on that limited supply up to the end and then jump on the new 6.8 V8.

All of that can happen while Ford continues with a "base" Ecoboost engine for those 

who don't need more than 450 HP.......or maybe the PHEV Explorer shows the way....

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Sarcasm? 

I mean the PR was great on Bronco. The launch itself has lots of issues but Ford got pretty much universal positive media. That's the work of the PR team shaping the messaging. You are seeing it here as well with them herding the media on 5.2 V8. I can guaranteed you Ford PR has been spoon feeding all these websites on the powertrain info and giving them explicit embargo dates on what they can post "speculations" about 5.2 V8 in articles accompanying staged "spy photo" or "leaks". 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I think even without COVID Ford would have been screwed...too many people with wild expectations. They could have completely nailed it and still had pissed off people. 

This is true.  Bronco6g has great info but the expectations of some of the people on there....

Edited by rmc523
  • Haha 1