Gen 3 Raptor

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think even without COVID Ford would have been screwed...too many people with wild expectations. They could have completely nailed it and still had pissed off people. 

That's a marketing issue which is B2C. Ford has much more work to do there. I was strictly talking about PR - the B2B outreach and messaging has been great on all the 2020 launches. For example, Ford won utility and truck of the year... most of that is the work of the PR team. Another example, there is almost no negative take on the Mustang name being used on MACH E from the media. Why? Because the PR team got there first and set them straight and gave them talking points. PR team can't do anything about the B2C marketing and internet forums. That's the domain of marketing and outside ad agencies. 

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Whatever happens from here, Ford can milk a new apex  Raptor V8 for all it's worth.

We know that the 5.2 is here for a limited time until the line closes down so Ford can 

make book on that limited supply up to the end and then jump on the new 6.8 V8.

All of that can happen while Ford continues with a "base" Ecoboost engine for those 

who don't need more than 450 HP.......or maybe the PHEV Explorer shows the way....

I predict the "base" engine will be making closer to 500HP in this generation. I could be wrong but this engine is capable, as long as it has a steady diet of premium fuel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I predict the "base" engine will be making closer to 500HP in this generation. I could be wrong but this engine is capable, as long as it has a steady diet of premium fuel.

Or more.  Non-HO 3.5eb added 25hp.  It is reasonable to expect the high output version to see similar or greater gains (500hp as you stated).  Now if Ford creates a HO powerboost, we could see something closer to 600hp (475-500hp + 100hp electric motor from Aviator).

Then there is the speculation on what the 6.8L will bring to the table.  There aren’t any charging stations in the middle of the desert, so not likely to be fully electric unless the Baja 1000 creates a new class.

56 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So maybe 500HP from the Ecoboost V6 and 700+ from the 5.2L?

I think that is the most likely scenario at this point. The only thing I would add is maybe a Powerboost option as thrown in as well. Like the Car and Driver report a short time ago.

As a side note, as the F-150 Raptor keeps getting more expensive, it makes more and more justification for the rumored 325 HP Ranger Raptor as a more affordable option.

57 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So maybe 500HP from the Ecoboost V6 and 700+ from the 5.2L?

My guess earlier in this thread sounds feasible. That has been my theory this whole time, a two pronged approach.They don't want to neglect/remove the lower end of the Raptor price range. Lord knows the supercharged V8 version will cost a pretty penny and probably be a limited edition (5-10K a year). My bet the V6 will be cheaper than TRX and be closer to matching the performance of the TRX than the current version. At least that is my hope. Can't wait for the 2nd.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, Stray Kat said:

I can’t believe you guys aren’t as skeptical as I am of putting a spiral rotor supercharged engine in a vehicle that may see incredible amounts of dust and silt. 

No I pray that Ford doesn’t follow Ram off the cliff just to win a pissing contest with the TRX. I think the future 6.8 in N/A form or an upgraded 3.5 EB would be a much more livable package. 

As it is right now the TRX is 800 pounds heavier than the Raptor. Why give that massive advantage away?

Fit it with a Donaldson Powercore filter, problem solved.  

I would imagine the 5.2 would only add 100 lbs or so over the 3.5 EB, it's not like the 3.5 is devoid of an intercooler and hot/cold side plumbing, and turbos.    

The standard 5.0 is actually over 100 lbs lighter than the 3.5 EB dressed out from what I've seen.  

The current Raptor gets mauled by the TRX in a drag race, Ford doesn't need to abandon the hyper-truck market when they can address it from the parts bin, IMO.  

That mentality allowed Can Am and Polaris to take a huge percentage of Yahama and Honda's ATV/side-by-side market.  

1 hour ago, ESP08 said:

Fit it with a Donaldson Powercore filter, problem solved.  

I would imagine the 5.2 would only add 100 lbs or so over the 3.5 EB, it's not like the 3.5 is devoid of an intercooler and hot/cold side plumbing, and turbos.    

The standard 5.0 is actually over 100 lbs lighter than the 3.5 EB dressed out from what I've seen.  

The current Raptor gets mauled by the TRX in a drag race, Ford doesn't need to abandon the hyper-truck market when they can address it from the parts bin, IMO.  

That mentality allowed Can Am and Polaris to take a huge percentage of Yahama and Honda's ATV/side-by-side market.  

If you say so about the filter. I’m a believer that what you put into the world you get back. Build something a little vulnerable and the people will find the weakness. 

The TFL tests I’ve seen don’t seem fair. They fawn over the big hemi power but are pretty vague with details about how the trucks perform in their intended purpose which is sailing over whoops and down desert roads. 

They do a lot of rock crawling and trailer stuff. This plays into Ram TRX’s hand. 

I don’t think Ford should follow Ram, I think Ford’s PR dept should reemphasize what the Raptor is about and how good the new Raptor is at high speed off road fun and how much better the new one is at doing that. 

The side by side examples you give are of vehicles that are LIGHTER than the ones they supplanted. 

Edited by Stray Kat

1 hour ago, ESP08 said:

The current Raptor gets mauled by the TRX in a drag race

They should and will use the GT500 engine but not to beat TRX in a drag race.  That's just a stupid reason from a marketing perspective.  People don't buy one vehicle (especially a truck) over another one just because it's a few tenths of a second faster.   Appearance, price, brand and everyday driveability are far more important.  Mustang was almost always a tick slower than Camaro and lately the Hellcat FCA cars but far better in other areas.

They should use it because people are willing to pay big bucks for big power.

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

The side by side examples you give are of vehicles that are LIGHTER than the ones they supplanted. 

Negative.  Yamaha and Honda basically ceded the side-by-side market to Can Am and Polaris precisely because they wouldn't compete on the power front.  

While Can Am was installing 1000cc engines in their Renegades, then 3-cylinder turbos in their flagship 1600 lb X3 side by side, Honda and Yamaha did not respond.  Now every off road event you go to Can am and Polaris have far an away the dominant presence while Honda/Yamaha are relegated almost solely to utility use.  

Ford doesn't need to follow Ram, but they don't need to ignore the TRX either.  That's moronic.  

Edited by ESP08

2 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

If you say so about the filter. I’m a believer that what you put into the world you get back. Build something a little vulnerable and the people will find the weakness. 

The TFL tests I’ve seen don’t seem fair. They fawn over the big hemi power but are pretty vague with details about how the trucks perform in their intended purpose which is sailing over whoops and down desert roads. 

They do a lot of rock crawling and trailer stuff. This plays into Ram TRX’s hand. 

I don’t think Ford should follow Ram, I think Ford’s PR dept should reemphasize what the Raptor is about and how good the new Raptor is at high speed off road fun and how much better the new one is at doing that. 

I get the feeling the off road tests (high speed and rock crawl/trails) will be further test episodes. The street ones are the easiest to coordinate. I'm willing to guess we'll get one in the Spring/Summer.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

They should and will use the GT500 engine but not to beat TRX in a drag race.  That's just a stupid reason from a marketing perspective.  People don't buy one vehicle (especially a truck) over another one just because it's a few tenths of a second faster.   Appearance, price, brand and everyday driveability are far more important.  Mustang was almost always a tick slower than Camaro and lately the Hellcat FCA cars but far better in other areas.

They should use it because people are willing to pay big bucks for big power.

TRX is 700 lbs heavier than the EB V6 Raptor, the SC V8 Raptor will kill it.

Yes, as an apex predator, the V8 Raptor will stand on its merits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Huh? It looks like the current grill?

Nope - see the green circles I made?  Those are the headlights.  The grille abuts them without any sort of "frame" like you see on the top and bottom (circled in blue).  I like those pieces, but not sure on the sides right now.

image.thumb.png.b5f2ad87c12bdcfcedebbb59d6b0a549.png

Compared to the current, which has a nice frame around the whole thing and looks more "complete".2017 Ford F-150 Raptor - Front | HD Wallpaper #29

It's more akin to the 1st gen:

New Directions For Ford's SVT Pickup - Auto News - Truck Trend