Gen 3 Raptor

45 minutes ago, FR739 said:

There’s a better way to solve that problem ?

I agree with you, but I bet most people’s issue with the current Raptor is the sound.  The HO 3.5 is an excellent motor, and was better than the 6.2 in every way but the soft sound.  If they have found a way to make a V6 sound close to a V8, with excellent performance, most people aren’t going to care what’s under the hood. 

That doesn’t mean I am not personally shooting for the R.  I think I’m looking for at least one more V8 before the new electric tech takes over.  It will be weird to go from a lot of noise to practically nothing.  Time will tell I guess. 

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can easily see Raptor R being in the GT500 range. 

Probably so, but my 2017 will be paid off by then and the trade values are ridiculously high now, so I’m hoping to swing it. If the price is out of control I may just go to a lifted F250 with the 7.3, assuming it has the new interior.  

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I think I like it so far.  It reminds me of my 1st gen, which I thought was a little more menacing looking.  The media release is definitely light on a lot of details though.  The active exhaust is interesting, especially if it could make a V6 sound like a V8.  Initially I was thinking it was similar to the Mustang GT’s, which would really only be needed for a V8, as the exhaust on my Gen 2 is not loud enough to annoy anyone.  I like the idea of coils in the rear and the 37s as well. 

With that said, I think they should have delayed the Raptor launch until the V8 was ready.  I felt this was anticlimactic, and didn’t steal a lot of the TRX ‘s thunder.  I won’t be looking to trade until I know more about the V8 which sounds like it will be a while.  Nevertheless, I am optimistic about the truck.  

To add to what has already previously said, this has been Ford's standard protocol. Introduce with vague specs. Wait. Closer to when you can order (I'm assuming it won't be in order banks till late spring/early summer?) , release preliminary power specs. When they start building, release final specs, hopefully with a few more ponies than prelim specs.

I really think they are trying to hit 500hp with the 3.5 in this iteration. I think weight will also be released with the final power specs. If they can keep the large weight advantage, I can't see the Raptor not being the preferred choice. 

Also as a side note, I fully expect Ram to up the HP for 22 to compete with the R. Whether that means a special race gas only Demon like tune or just creating a bigger Hemi with bigger blower. If FCA/Stelantis has proven over the years, they will win the HP pissing match at all costs. MPG BE DAMNED!

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Probably so, but my 2017 will be paid off by then and the trade values are ridiculously high now, so I’m hoping to swing it. If the price is out of control I may just go to a lifted F250 with the 7.3, assuming it has the new interior.  

I would lay money

on the Superduties having an upgraded interior...they are literally at 2021 build out and its what....February 4th!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH????????????

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can easily see Raptor R being in the GT500 range. 

Just remember, the outgoing Raptor starts at $54k vs. TRX which starts at $72k. That's a substantial 1/3 difference in MSRP.

Raptor is also several hundred lbs lighter than TRX so it has similar performance but 33% cheaper... You can say TRX has the upper hand with V8 but reality is Raptor still had no competition when you factor in price. I think Ford will only have modest price increase on the new Raptor and with even more power, it will probably match the TRX in performance but with a price advantage.

Raptor R will probably cost more than TRX. Why? Because with the weight advantage and similar power as TRX, it will bury the TRX in performance. Also Ford is constrained on number of 5.2 V8 it can make so they gonna shoot for the moon. I'm guessing $80k+ MSRP.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Just remember, the outgoing Raptor starts at $54k vs. TRX which starts at $72k. That's a substantial 1/3 difference in MSRP.

Raptor is also several hundred lbs lighter than TRX so it has similar performance but 33% cheaper... You can say TRX has the upper hand with V8 but reality is Raptor still had no competition when you factor in price. I think Ford will only have modest price increase on the new Raptor and with even more power, it will probably match the TRX in performance but with a price advantage.

Raptor R will probably cost more than TRX. Why? Because with the weight advantage and similar power as TRX, it will bury the TRX in performance. Also Ford is constrained on number of 5.2 V8 it can make so they gonna shoot for the moon. I'm guessing $80k+ MSRP.

well the run for the TRXs was how many?....IIRC it too was severely limited...maybe just the first run of 702...……...

Edited by Deanh

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Semiconductor shortage. 

that explains a lot...Ive also heard they are directing all the resources they have towards their crown jewel...the F150. This is going to be interesting...a shortage of Superduties will hurt fleet sales...it will also mean good luck on getting a "deal" as such...........

3 hours ago, Deanh said:

that explains a lot...Ive also heard they are directing all the resources they have towards their crown jewel...the F150. This is going to be interesting...a shortage of Superduties will hurt fleet sales...it will also mean good luck on getting a "deal" as such...........

We're in for another long year 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deanh said:

I would lay money

on the Superduties having an upgraded interior...they are literally at 2021 build out and its what....February 4th!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH????????????

Yes, I agree. I’m not sure why this model year would be so short for Superduties otherwise .  They really need to get this done.  I think the current interior is a detriment to sales at this point.  

7 hours ago, bzcat said:

Because of the delay of the V8, does anyone think the V8 could be something other than the 5.2?   There is that rumored 6.x liter V8 we have heard about. What’s the thought on that motor?   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tbone said:

Because of the delay of the V8, does anyone think the V8 could be something other than the 5.2?   There is that rumored 6.x liter V8 we have heard about. What’s the thought on that motor?   

I'm wondering the same myself. The delay surely has to be that 6.x V8 motor unless they needed more time to fine-tune the 5.2L SC V8. Who knows as Ford hasn't quite said much regarding Raptor and the Raptor R.

2 hours ago, tbone said:

But is it a delay?  Or just a planned "lag"?  To generate even more/continuing interest another model year later.

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

A new car, I have 2 payments left on my lease ???

Looking at the time stamp of your post, you literally posted that right as I FINALLY got a hold of the salesman who originally sold us the Fusion. 

rattle their cages...slackers...