Bronco Sport Impresses

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The are the optional wheel that you have to pay more for. They aren’t actually steel either. Surprisingly many people like them. I think it looks like you have four spare tires on.

Aluminum or steel you can’t tell by looking at them.  They certainly look like steel wheels you find on a base level model.  

But I agree it looks like you’re driving around on spares.  The standard Badland wheel looks much better and not like an afterthought.  

I personally think my ideal bronco sport is something that isn’t offered yet. I don’t need the advanced 4x4 system in the badlands. I’d be fine with something similar to the FX2 package that gives you the added ground clearance, larger tires, and the 2.0L engine of the badlands. Slap that on an outerbanks with the black wheels and badging from the first edition and I’d be happy.

Edited by T-dubz

43 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Aluminum or steel you can’t tell by looking at them.  They certainly look like steel wheels you find on a base level model.  

But I agree it looks like you’re driving around on spares.  The standard Badland wheel looks much better and not like an afterthought.  

Point is they're aluminum not cheap steel - it's not cheaping out.   But some people like the idea of the old steelies especially on something designed to go off road.  Doug Demuro loved them in his review and I bet a lot of folks will opt for them.

Why can't people separate their personal preferences from what other people might like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

Are those wheels a joke?  Or are those what they fit from the factory?  

For almost $40k, black steel wheels are wildly unacceptable.  

I actually dig em...90 % of factory wheels in my opinion verge on gaudy...these have a definite 4x4 off road "feel" to them, along with a little "retro"....cool...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

I actually dig em...90 % of factory wheels in my opinion verge on gaudy...these have a definite 4x4 off road "feel" to them, along with a little "retro"....cool...

It depends on the audience. I think those that come from a 4x4 background will see them as cool and those that are coming from other crossovers or cars will see them as spares. Either way, options are good, I just wish there were more of them. Ford continues to struggle in the wheel department IMO on most of its vehicles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

It depends on the audience. I think those that come from a 4x4 background will see them as cool and those that are coming from other crossovers or cars will see them as spares. Either way, options are good, I just wish there were more of them. Ford continues to struggle in the wheel department IMO on most of its vehicles.

BINGO!@...one must keep in mind they are an option on the Badlands only....and anyone buying a Sport Badlands I would expect may have more than an inkling to get down and dirty...in which case these look relatively easy to hose off, right in line with its so called purpose, unlike say a Mach-E...and agreed....some of Fords wheel efforts are questionable...

Edited by Deanh

30 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

As long as they don't go full hub cap, I'm good with it.

Hub Caps should not exist in 2020. 

A few thoughts, after reading and watching the reviews. Badlands interior, looks good for the most part but steering wheel needs to be leather/quality wrap  so it doesn't feel  cheap. I've never understood cheapening out on the steering wheel when it's something you touch the whole time you are in the car. Does it save a dollar to make it feel like a Playskool steering wheel? Not worth it IMO.

I think for most drivers the 1.5 will be fine. Let's be honest, with this and even with the real Bronco, most of them will not be hitting off road. The 2.0 is good engine and should move this with authority. 

I think they hit the design out of the park. I really like the raised roof.I think Doug summarized this nicely, in regards to so many generic designs in this segment (Escape included). This will stand out and perform. This vehicle would of been great for me in my late 20's/early 30's. I am think with all of my gear and my son it may be a too small. I am most likely going go for a new Bronco anyway.

I look forward for some off road reviews with the Compass and Cherokee.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

A few thoughts, after reading and watching the reviews. Badlands interior, looks good for the most part but steering wheel needs to be leather/quality wrap  so it doesn't feel  cheap. I've never understood cheapening out on the steering wheel when it's something you touch the whole time you are in the car. Does it save a dollar to make it feel like a Playskool steering wheel? Not worth it IMO.

I think for most drivers the 1.5 will be fine. Let's be honest, with this and even with the real Bronco, most of them will not be hitting off road. The 2.0 is good engine and should move this with authority. 

I think they hit the design out of the park. I really like the raised roof.I think Doug summarized this nicely, in regards to so many generic designs in this segment (Escape included). This will stand out and perform. This vehicle would of been great for me in my late 20's/early 30's. I am think with all of my gear and my son it may be a too small. I am most likely going go for a new Bronco anyway.

I look forward for some off road reviews with the Compass and Cherokee.

our first lasted a day....Area 51 Big Bend...looked great...kinda reminds me of a newer take on the Nissan Exterra...with a dash of Land Rover LR2...the older...well done Ford. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deanh said:

our first lasted a day....Area 51 Big Bend...looked great...kinda reminds me of a newer take on the Nissan Exterra...with a dash of Land Rover LR2...the older...well done Ford. 

What are your impressions of its size? From just reading the dimensions, I’ve always thought it should have been bigger (escape size). I think the extra storage space would have been good. I know there will be plenty of head room, but I’ve never had that be a problem in any vehicle. I took some screen grabs from dougs review and it looked pretty tiny with him in it and next to it. I think he’s 6’3”.

5C272BE4-0099-4E6E-A32A-DFF9FD4669AA.png

B67FD0B0-14A8-4706-92A8-8DDA698000BA.png

143CD515-8E02-40DF-A79E-74803F6CD0C3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

What are your impressions of its size? From just reading the dimensions, I’ve always thought it should have been bigger (escape size). I think the extra storage space would have been good. I know there will be plenty of head room, but I’ve never had that be a problem in any vehicle. I took some screen grabs from dougs review and it looked pretty tiny with him in it and next to it. I think he’s 6’3”.

Keep in mind the BS and Escape have roughly the same interior space...but the seating is different, because the Escape has an adjustable rear seat. 

In the pre-2020 Escape, if the seat was all the way back, it was a tight fit (like above) for me and I'm 6'2. I fit behind the seat if if was adjusted half way ok....

9 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I was more concerned with the interior. Almost every review I read said it felt cheap. I thought someone here said Ford was supposed to step up the materials for the sport? 

They did. But Bronco Sport is still a Ford product which means that stepping up interior quality means going from "cheap and nasty" to "cheap and cheerful".

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

They did. But Bronco Sport is still a Ford product which means that stepping up interior quality means going from "cheap and nasty" to "cheap and cheerful".

Lol, I can’t believe they put that steering wheel in this. It’s terribly cheap. And it’s the place the driver touches the most! 

The other cheapness of the interior doesn’t surprise me; I’ve been in the escape. 

Looks like a great product all and all though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Lol, I can’t believe they put that steering wheel in this. It’s terribly cheap. And it’s the place the driver touches the most! 

The other cheapness of the interior doesn’t surprise me; I’ve been in the escape. 

Looks like a great product all and all though!

What is an example of a good vehicle interior that isn't cheap? I'm honestly curious, because most of my cars have all been fords. Had a 2004 monte carlo once, but that interior probably tied the fords for shitiness. I don't have any experience with brands that aren't Ford or Chevy.

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

What is an example of a good vehicle interior that isn't cheap? I'm honestly curious, because most of my cars have all been fords. Had a 2004 monte carlo once, but that interior probably tied the fords for shitiness. I don't have any experience with brands that aren't Ford or Chevy.

I haven’t been in any Bronco Sport competitors but, I can say just from Ford, the Expedition I sat in recently had a nice interior. Some hard plastics but that’s not always the problem, the Bronco Sport looks to have a fairly nice interior, with a terrible steering wheel.