Bronco Sport Impresses

3 hours ago, akirby said:

People aren't buying Bronco Sports based on price.  They'll buy it because of the styling and capability and they won't be looking at an Escape.   Why is this so hard to understand?  It's an emotional purchase.   See it, love it, gotta have it, buy it.   You're not getting that type of emotional appeal from Escape or any other small crossover.

Maaaaaaaaybe a Jeep Renegade but that's probably a stretch. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir T-dubz. This is a pattern that's been repeated over and over for decades on "emotional purchase" type vehicles. Bronco Sport will be no different, unless Ford deliberately keeps production volume extremely low.

The plan is to build as many as they can sell, just like pretty much everything else 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I think the BS spells the death knoll for the AWD Escape. I think youll see the Escapes #1 sellers will be the hybrids, plug ins an low end units...

I think you’re discounting buyers in the snow belt. I never really cared about AWD before until I drove one in a major snowstorm the day I took my Flex home. I would rather not be without it now. 

10 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I think the BS spells the death knoll for the AWD Escape. I think youll see the Escapes #1 sellers will be the hybrids, plug ins an low end units...

I hope you're wrong Dean, those of us who live in snow & ice country appreciate having AWD, even if we never take the vehicle off pavement.

HRG

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think you’re discounting buyers in the snow belt. I never really cared about AWD before until I drove one in a major snowstorm the day I took my Flex home. I would rather not be without it now. 

I agree unless they think they can upsell those buyers to a Bronco Sport which might be a little difficult as the styling is polarizing.

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

wouldn't the Bronco Sport be a better choice in the Snow belt?

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I hope you're wrong Dean, those of us who live in snow & ice country appreciate having AWD, even if we never take the vehicle off pavement.

HRG

well the BS may actually be a better choice given the drive system is more sophisticated no?

Really liking the Bronco Sport but agree on the review that the steering wheel on the Badlands is cheap.  For me this would be a reason not to purchase.  So I went to the build and price and found there was a heated and leather wrapped steering wheel option.  Clicking on the little i button it has the statement "Standard on Outer Banks, Badlands, and First Edition.".  So that would be great, except when you click the + saying you want it, it says you have to get the leather seats.  So which is standard or locked to leather seats which is a dealbreaker for me?

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

wouldn't the Bronco Sport be a better choice in the Snow belt?

Not really.  I live in northern Michigan in the Lake Michigan lake-effect snowbelt.  We average over 140" of snow/year.  ANY type of AWD is better than FWD and RWD.  We're buying a new vehicle in 2021 (hopefully a Bronco 2-door), and the only given is that it will have AWD.  

13 minutes ago, Schpark said:

Really liking the Bronco Sport but agree on the review that the steering wheel on the Badlands is cheap.  For me this would be a reason not to purchase.  So I went to the build and price and found there was a heated and leather wrapped steering wheel option.  Clicking on the little i button it has the statement "Standard on Outer Banks, Badlands, and First Edition.".  So that would be great, except when you click the + saying you want it, it says you have to get the leather seats.  So which is standard or locked to leather seats which is a dealbreaker for me?

std on Outer Banks, std on First Edition, and part of package 96x ( Badlands package ) and also avail on Big Bend as part of package 96p ( Big Bend Package )

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Not really.  I live in northern Michigan in the Lake Michigan lake-effect snowbelt.  We average over 140" of snow/year.  ANY type of AWD is better than FWD and RWD.  We're buying a new vehicle in 2021 (hopefully a Bronco 2-door), and the only given is that it will have AWD.  

the Bronco Sport is STOCK with AWD and a more sophisticated version of whats avail on the Escape...so color me confused. AWD is SATANDARD...you cant get a 2wd version of the Sport...

52 minutes ago, Deanh said:

std on Outer Banks, std on First Edition, and part of package 96x ( Badlands package ) and also avail on Big Bend as part of package 96p ( Big Bend Package )

That's not what the build and price says.  Ford is really making it difficult for me to stay with the company.  All my vehicles have been Ford's but since my 2013 Flex it is impossible to get the basics of what I want; heated cloth seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Edited by Schpark

49 minutes ago, Deanh said:

the Bronco Sport is STOCK with AWD and a more sophisticated version of whats avail on the Escape...so color me confused. AWD is SATANDARD...you cant get a 2wd version of the Sport...

Just looking at one Ford dealer in Detroit, they have 45 Escape SEs.  44 AWD and 1 fwd.  I think there is enough demand for AWD escapes to justify keeping it even with Bronco Sport.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Deanh said:

the Bronco Sport is STOCK with AWD and a more sophisticated version of whats avail on the Escape...so color me confused. AWD is STANDARD...you cant get a 2wd version of the Sport...

Dean,

Didn't mean to confuse you, the point we're trying to make is that ANY AWD system is better than just FWD or RWD.  Does the Sport have a better AWD system than the Escape. probably.  But for those that may not like the style of the BS, or the possible up-charge, the Escape AWD has its' place.

HRG

30 minutes ago, Schpark said:

That's not what the build and price says.  Ford is really making it difficult for me to stay with the company.  All my vehicles have been Ford's but since my 2013 Flex it is impossible to get the basics of what I want; heated cloth seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel.

I would trust the Order Guide before I trust the Build & Price.

HRG

2021 BS Big Bend 96P.pdf

27 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Dean,

Didn't mean to confuse you, the point we're trying to make is that ANY AWD system is better than just FWD or RWD.  Does the Sport have a better AWD system than the Escape. probably.  But for those that may not like the style of the BS, or the possible up-charge, the Escape AWD has its' place.

HRG

I would think it's more about tires and ground d clearsnce than 4wd system. The Badland uses all terrain tires and has extra inch of ground clearance plus locking diffs.

10 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I would think it's more about tires and ground d clearsnce than 4wd system. The Badland uses all terrain tires and has extra inch of ground clearance plus locking diffs.

It can also lock 4WD and send torque to either rear wheel.  Add in the electronic goat modes and it’s far more capable than the Escape system.

But I agree the styling isn’t for everyone so AWD escape is still needed albeit in lower numbers.

Edited by akirby

1 hour ago, Schpark said:

I’m pretty sure you have to get the optional package to get the leather steering wheel. Seems like a big oversight to me and it was mentioned in several of the reviews I read. I haven’t had a plastic steering wheel since the 90’s and it’s not like I’m driving luxury cars over here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Dean,

HRG

OK now I understand where youre coming from....got it. Different demographics compared with here in So Cal and back there for sure. Dealer principal here ahs already stated he will cut back on AWD Escapes....course, if Ford rebates the crap out of them and ignores incentivizing the BS, then tables turn somewhat.

58 minutes ago, Schpark said:

forget build and price...its FULL of quirks and errors...

So what you guys are saying is Bronco Sport is just another small crossover.  The Bronco name and heritage, the rugged styling, best in class 4wd and off road capability, best in class lifestyle accessories, cool colors and features mean nothing and it will have to compete on price with Jeep Compass and Subaru Crosstrek.  Got it.