Bronco Sport Impresses

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

Just looking at one Ford dealer in Detroit, they have 45 Escape SEs.  44 AWD and 1 fwd.  I think there is enough demand for AWD escapes to justify keeping it even with Bronco Sport.

That’s crazy seeing how stock is completely different around the country. The dealers around me are the complete opposite, but of course there’s no need for them here. When the weather rarely gets bad, everyone just stays home.

• Like 1

Just now, T-dubz said:

That’s crazy seeing how stock is completely different around the country. The dealers around me are the complete opposite, but of course there’s no need for them here. When the weather rarely gets bad, everyone just stays home.

And never mind the fact that a FWD escape on winter tires will outperform an AWD on all seasons.....

People like AWD whether they need it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schpark said:

That's not what the build and price says.  Ford is really making it difficult for me to stay with the company.  All my vehicles have been Ford's but since my 2013 Flex it is impossible to get the basics of what I want; heated cloth seats and a leather wrapped steering wheel.

Leather wrapped steering wheel is available on every model except the base.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Leather wrapped steering wheel is available on every model except the base.

Not without a $2500 option package including leather seats.  I love the fact that the Badlands can be had with heated cloth seats.  Why stick a cheap ass plastic steering wheel on an otherwise upscale edition.  I do not want leather seats and I really want the 2.0.

Edited by Schpark

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

the Bronco Sport is STOCK with AWD and a more sophisticated version of whats avail on the Escape...so color me confused. AWD is SATANDARD...you cant get a 2wd version of the Sport...

Any type of drive system that engages all four tires is the ticket in snowy conditions.  Pretty sure an AWD Escape has a snow-driving mode, or at least traction control.  I'd have no problem owning and driving an AWD Escape here in snowland.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

So what you guys are saying is Bronco Sport is just another small crossover.  The Bronco name and heritage, the rugged styling, best in class 4wd and off road capability, best in class lifestyle accessories, cool colors and features mean nothing and it will have to compete on price with Jeep Compass and Subaru Crosstrek.  Got it.

I like the styling, but it’s not revolutionary. It’s basically the same shape as the previous escape. I don’t think best in class 4wd or off road capability will really matter either. Sure it’s a selling point, but in the end this is still going to be a daily driver for the majority of people. Accessories are great but really how many roof racks do you need?. Jeep also has the better colors in my opinion and I’m not a Jeep fan by any means.

The sport wins on style. The others win on price. The features are a toss up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

wouldn't the Bronco Sport be a better choice in the Snow belt?

Nah, you don't need anything fancy to drive through snow on the road and highway. If you're careful, you can even drive a RWD if you're armed with a nice set of blizzaks.  If you need to drive up a hill to get home however, you probably want AWD.... but it doesn't need to be anything special. My 4wd Escape with crappy tires always gets me where I need to go.

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

And never mind the fact that a FWD escape on winter tires will outperform an AWD on all seasons.....

People like AWD whether they need it or not.

Kind of agreeing with what you are saying, but don't disregard the additional ground clearance an AWD Escape provides.  Our 2012 FWD Focus on snows can is quite good, but the lack of ground clearance can be a serious problem in deep snow.  But, during those conditions, it's best not to drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

No snow tires is the better choice.  But people are stupid and think AWD = all wheel stop. 

Any vehicle (RWD, FWD, 4WD) with snow tires will outperform any vehicle without snow tires.  

11 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Any type of drive system that engages all four tires is the ticket in snowy conditions.  Pretty sure an AWD Escape has a snow-driving mode, or at least traction control.  I'd have no problem owning and driving an AWD Escape here in snowland.

Hehe “snow mode”.  Code word for starting your transmission in 2nd and decreasing the sensitivity of the throttle.  

I don’t think the BS is going to be any better in the snow than an Escape (if the tires are the same).  The AWD systems are pretty much the same.  There are vast swaths of people that want an Escape like SUV and AWD.  The BS is a budget lifestyle vehicle while the Escape is a generic small SUV. 

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

It can also lock 4WD and send torque to either rear wheel.  Add in the electronic goat modes and it’s far more capable than the Escape system.

But I agree the styling isn’t for everyone so AWD escape is still needed albeit in lower numbers.

Obviously, if you really want to do some rather serious offroading and/or live in serious snow belt where plowing is spotty, the Sport Badlands is best choice. Or just love Bronco styling. But the Escape is decent in most situations, cheaper in price, and offers better fuel mileage in every trim line. So Ford has you covered.

Similarities?   If you mean an overall boxy shape, 4 wheels and 4 doors then yeah.   But the front and rear are completely different.  The Safari roof and C pillar on the Bronco Sport are completely different.  And it offers much larger wheels with more ground clearance.

3 hours ago, Deanh said:

At that point it would come down to which one you prefer styling-wise and whether or not you want to pay the premium for the Bronco. Not everyone would be willing to make that leap with the cheaper Escape sitting on the other side of the lot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Just looking at one Ford dealer in Detroit, they have 45 Escape SEs.  44 AWD and 1 fwd.  I think there is enough demand for AWD escapes to justify keeping it even with Bronco Sport.

I would estimate based on my observations that if there's an all wheel drive option, 80% of buyers around here will opt for it, Fusion not withstanding. Don't see to many of those in AWD. 

Just because I'm curious, which dealer did you look at? 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

54 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Kind of agreeing with what you are saying, but don't disregard the additional ground clearance an AWD Escape provides.  Our 2012 FWD Focus on snows can is quite good, but the lack of ground clearance can be a serious problem in deep snow.  But, during those conditions, it's best not to drive.

That was the thing that I noticed with my 2015 Focus over the 2008. The newer one sat lower to the ground so when there was HEAVY snow (I drove that one because of traction control. Wide tires on the 08 were awful in the snow) there would be times when the snow would be deep enough driving home from work before the plows came up it would lift the front tires off the ground. Higher ground clearance is definitely a plus. 

13 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Never said they were the exact same, I said they had a similar shape, meaning this style has been done before, it’s not something new. Like I’ve always said the sport is more of a continuation of the older escape.

The Sport is far more of a mini Bronco than it is a new old Escape.  The Bronco styling and features including bigger tires and more ground clearance and off road capabilities are what is new and completely different from the old Escape.