Bronco Sport Impresses

5 hours ago, akirby said:

And never mind the fact that a FWD escape on winter tires will outperform an AWD on all seasons.....

People like AWD whether they need it or not.

I'm up in the Twin Cities, what I can't understand that many have lived here a number of years, but every first significant snow fall, it's like they've never driven it before.

Hundreds of accidents the first day.  I guess they think "I've got 4WD/AWD, so I can go as fast as I want."

The best part?  If the weather is dry enough, the snow disappears, if the next major snow is several weeks later, it's like the first snow fall, hundreds of accidents again.

Also I too see the original Escape in the Bronco Sport, eh if it worked once...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jniffen said:

I'm up in the Twin Cities, what I can't understand that many have lived here a number of years, but every first significant snow fall, it's like they've never driven it before.

Hundreds of accidents the first day.  I guess they think "I've got 4WD/AWD, so I can go as fast as I want."

The best part?  If the weather is dry enough, the snow disappears, if the next major snow is several weeks later, it's like the first snow fall, hundreds of accidents again.

You guys up north got it rough. It might snow maybe once every few years here and it’s never more than a few flurries. The downside is I’ve never seen more than around 2 inches of snow, but man is it exciting for the kids when it actually happens.

Just now, T-dubz said:

You guys up north got it rough. It might snow maybe once every few years here and it’s never more than a few flurries. The downside is I’ve never seen more than around 2 inches of snow, but man is it exciting for the kids when it actually happens.

Yea, but I don't have to board up my house, take off for a few days to wait for the latest Hurricane to pass through.

Of course, we do have tornadoes, with no real warning, except for that day, so there's not time spent to batten down the hatches.

1 hour ago, jniffen said:

Sounds like living down here in South Florida - where it rains just about every day (especially in the summer time) - and at the hint of rain, everyone suddenly drives 30 below the speed limit in all lanes, hazards on, etc.  It's terrible.

11 hours ago, jniffen said:

Here's a clue, Farley organised a design competition to improve the Bronco Sport's looks to be more like the Bronco,

unsurprisingly, the Bronco's designer won the contest. The look before that happened was probably a lot more like 

a freshened gen 1 Escape than Ford would admit to.

18 hours ago, akirby said:

And never mind the fact that a FWD escape on winter tires will outperform an AWD on all seasons.....

People like AWD whether they need it or not.

Very true !  People miss this fact all of the time !!

17 hours ago, FR739 said:

No snow tires is the better choice.  But people are stupid and think AWD = all wheel stop. 

Any vehicle (RWD, FWD, 4WD) with snow tires will outperform any vehicle without snow tires

You must not drive on snow, or more specifically hard packed snow/icy roads.  Snow tire are so 20the century !  You need WINTER tires.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

I am not a Jeep fan, so I don't know when they stopped making a 2 door Jeep, but I would like to see a 2 door Bronco Sport.

While I understand that marketing has to hit the "sweet spot" (i.e. build what the most customers would like to buy) I would still like to see more of a "rock crawler" version.  Real 4WD with real locking (E-locker ?) front and rear differentials.  Bigger tires and more suspension travel.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

They should be STEEL !  Waste of money to save a few pounds !

Yes sir theoldwizard, for an off-road oriented vehicle steel wheels would be preferable due to their strength and cost advantages. In terms of weight, AHSS technology including microalloys can be used to make steel wheels with no weight disadvantage compared to a cast aluminum alloy wheel of the same diameter and width.

Edited by rperez817

48 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

I am not a Jeep fan, so I don't know when they stopped making a 2 door Jeep, but I would like to see a 2 door Bronco Sport.

While I understand that marketing has to hit the "sweet spot" (i.e. build what the most customers would like to buy) I would still like to see more of a "rock crawler" version.  Real 4WD with real locking (E-locker ?) front and rear differentials.  Bigger tires and more suspension travel.

Jeep never stopped making 2 door Wranglers.  Ford is making 2 door Broncos.

You just described the 2 door Bronco Sasquatch.   No need to duplicate that with the Sport.

The Bronco Sport Badlands appears to be the most capable offroad small unibody SUV on the market right now.   Have you seen the rock crawling videos?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, T-dubz said:

20201204_104230-jpg.4922

1607104758900-jpeg.4925

20201204_082844-jpg.4924

Wow I didn’t realize how similar they really are!  with that funky c-pillar it’s almost as if the designers went out of their way to make it look like the boxy Escape because a larger window would have been much more useful.  But I like that it throws back to the boxy Escape and not melted blob that came after it.  

2 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Very true !  People miss this fact all of the time !!

You must not drive on snow, or more specifically hard packed snow/icy roads.  Snow tire are so 20the century !  You need WINTER tires.

Ok ok semantics but how do you tell a “winter” tire?  The snowflake on the sidewall ?

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why are you fighting this so hard? Nobody says they’re identical, only that there's a similarity. This shouldn't be a hill to die on. 

Bronco Sport to me looks like how the Escape would've progressed design wise had it not been made into the swoopy ones.  Obviously there are Bronco-centric design traits (grille, headlights, etc), that might be different if it were "just" and Escape, but remove those elements, and BS looks like a continuation of boxy-Escape design.

They're different, yes, but follow the same design lineage. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Spitting image....

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why are you fighting this so hard? Nobody says they’re identical, only that there's a similarity. This shouldn't be a hill to die on. 

Because he's a moderator, who thinks he owns this website, and we should all bow-down to his OPINION.  He's not a FoMoCo employee, he's not a Dealer, he's a nobody who wants us all to believe that he has a seat in the Boardroom and knows how all the Corporate decisions are made.

NONE of his posts ever start with "in my opinion", or "I believe", they all try to push a position of knowledge that come from inside.  I'm tired of it.

HRG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I doubt Ford could justify the expense to engineer and produce a 2-door Bronco Sport as you suggested with what would probably have limited appeal compared to what they'll do with the Bronco version.  

12 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Because he's a moderator, who thinks he owns this website, and we should all bow-down to his OPINION.  He's not a FoMoCo employee, he's not a Dealer, he's a nobody who wants us all to believe that he has a seat in the Boardroom and knows how all the Corporate decisions are made.

NONE of his posts ever start with "in my opinion", or "I believe", they all try to push a position of knowledge that come from inside.  I'm tired of it.

HRG

What about agreeing that you can disagree without trying to make it personal. 

51 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because he’s the guy who says a Mustang Mach E looks like a fastback Mustang (?).  But yet can’t see the similarities in side profile/shape in the BS and old Escape.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I have 34 years of experience working in a large corporation dealing with corporate finances and I've worked on 7, 8 and 9 figure business cases.   That makes me a bit more qualified than most to understand Ford's business decisions along with some basic common business sense.   You just don't like the answers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I have 34 years of experience working in a large corporation dealing with corporate finances and I've worked on 7, 8 and 9 figure business cases.   That makes me a bit more qualified than most to understand Ford's business decisions along with some basic common business sense.   You just don't like the answers.

Superiority complex much?  You might not like my response, but here goes....you don’t know everything.  

• Like 1