Bronco Sport Impresses

56 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why are you fighting this so hard? Nobody says they’re identical, only that there's a similarity. This shouldn't be a hill to die on. 

Ok, I overreacted a little and I agree they're both small boxy utilities.   But beyond that Ford has put a tremendous amount of effort to make Bronco Sport a true mini Bronco with unique styling that doesn't look like an Escape or anything else other than a Bronco IN MY OPINION.  I'm talking about the front and rear and the Safari roof and the larger tires.   Completely unique in the segment and that's why I think it will have better appeal and be able to command higher prices than other compact CUVs (along with the cool accessories).  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I have 34 years of experience working in a large corporation dealing with corporate finances and I've worked on 7, 8 and 9 figure business cases.   That makes me a bit more qualified than most to understand Ford's business decisions along with some basic common business sense.   You just don't like the answers.

Wow...I don't think even Ford understands its decisions sometimes. Like sticking with faulty Focus dct trans for years that is costing Ford billions. Many more examples of poor decisions, but Focus is one of the more glaring ones.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I doubt Ford could justify the expense to engineer and produce a 2-door Bronco Sport as you suggested with what would probably have limited appeal compared to what they'll do with the Bronco version.  

They actually used to. The explorer had its 2-door sport trim back in the day. I think explorer sales might have been higher back then during it's glory days, but the point is it's not unprecedented. If it was ever going to happen again, it would be now.

I do tend to agree with others that the real 2-door bronco makes a 2-door sport less necessary 

I'd like to express a general observation about what I see as a change, not for the better, as to the general behavior on these BOF forums and message threads.

There have been a lot of new members in the past few months that contribute by posting comments, even though a lot of those are made to get their post count up or for other reasons. I appreciate that they're active and participating even if a lot of it is "click bait" and just perpetuating disagreements between members. It's something else when differences of opinion on product and other subjects escalate to a personal issue. And some of this behavior is coming from members that have been here for some time which is disappointing. 

I recently left my dealership after nearly 35 years managing new vehicle inventory, ordering all new and fleet inventory and managing the in-house advertising agency. That's after working in the entertainment business for 15 years including 8 years as a Business Agent for the IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) and other capacities. On average I used to order $500,000 worth of inventory on average each week and managed an advertising budget and production in excess of $500,000.

I miss the times when member posts were on topic and contributed to the subject at hand. Recently it's a matter of trying to get past understanding what the poster's intention was and whether it had anything to do with the subject at hand or some other purpose. 

I may not agree with a lot of the opinions posted in message threads on topics discussed here at BOF but I don't make it personal. I may not agree with opinions expressed here but I agree that we have a right to disagree. 

This is my opinion only and my observation of changes I've seen in the past few months. Hopefully, my observations and comments will help contribute to a more understanding and positive approach in the future.  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'd like to express a general observation about what I see as a change, not for the better, as to the general behavior on these BOF forums and message threads.

There have been a lot of new members in the past few months that contribute by posting comments, even though a lot of those are made to get their post count up or for other reasons. I appreciate that they're active and participating even if a lot of it is "click bait" and just perpetuating disagreements between members. It's something else when differences of opinion on product and other subjects escalate to a personal issue. And some of this behavior is coming from members that have been here for some time which is disappointing. 

I recently left my dealership after nearly 35 years managing new vehicle inventory, ordering all new and fleet inventory and managing the in-house advertising agency. That's after working in the entertainment business for 15 years including 8 years as a Business Agent for the IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) and other capacities. On average I used to order $500,000 worth of inventory on average each week and managed an advertising budget and production in excess of $500,000.

I miss the times when member posts were on topic and contributed to the subject at hand. Recently it's a matter of trying to get past understanding what the poster's intention was and whether it had anything to do with the subject at hand or some other purpose. 

I may not agree with a lot of the opinions posted in message threads on topics discussed here at BOF but I don't make it personal. I may not agree with opinions expressed here but I agree that we have a right to disagree. 

This is my opinion only and my observation of changes I've seen in the past few months. Hopefully, my observations and comments will help contribute to a more understanding and positive approach in the future.  

I think most of it is COVID related...people can't socialize as much or do what they used to and people are bored/angry/whatever and are slagging off on another as a pass time now. You see it on social media more so these days...and since more and more people are  using the internet and engaging with other people, being rude to another is par for the course. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

After reading threads for a while I joined to give some input on a thread about Explorer sales.  I provided basic information and opinion and the moderator clearly didn’t like what I posted, took it personally, and used his ability to look up IP addresses and posted my location (or what he thought was my location) and accused me of being a disgruntled Chicago worker.  There was no open minded discussion, no acknowledgement of a logical argument etc.  

Read it for yourself below.  After that I ignore that person.  Nobody should be treated that way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, probowler said:

They actually used to. The explorer had its 2-door sport trim back in the day. I think explorer sales might have been higher back then during it's glory days, but the point is it's not unprecedented. If it was ever going to happen again, it would be now.

I do tend to agree with others that the real 2-door bronco makes a 2-door sport less necessary 

There's a reason 2 door SUVs went away.   They're just not practical.

27 minutes ago, FR739 said:

After reading threads for a while I joined to give some input on a thread about Explorer sales.  I provided basic information and opinion and the moderator clearly didn’t like what I posted, took it personally, and used his ability to look up IP addresses and posted my location (or what he thought was my location) and accused me of being a disgruntled Chicago worker.  There was no open minded discussion, no acknowledgement of a logical argument etc. 

For which I already apologized.   When somebody joins a forum and immediately makes multiple negative posts you have to wonder if they have an axe to grind.   It's very unusual unless somebody is purposely trolling.

Sometimes I get carried away and overreact and somebody calls me on it, like now.   I'll try to do better.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

For which I already apologized.   When somebody joins a forum and immediately makes multiple negative posts you have to wonder if they have an axe to grind.   It's very unusual unless somebody is purposely trolling.

Sometimes I get carried away and overreact and somebody calls me on it, like now.   I'll try to do better.

That is refreshing to hear nowadays. Thanks. You are the MAN.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

refreshing to take ownership.....you should see me react when Dealerships get blanketed as being lowlifes and branded "stealerships"....I think we all have triggers about certain subjects...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I suppose you can never say never but yeah it's highly unlikely. 

That would make two vehicles in the same segment....makes no sense...Explorer does pretty well on its own...I honestly don't think most give a rats about the diff between Unibody and body on frame in that particular soft roader segment.

16 minutes ago, Deanh said:

That would make two vehicles in the same segment....makes no sense...Explorer does pretty well on its own...I honestly don't think most give a rats about the diff between Unibody and body on frame in that particular soft roader segment.

That's what makes it highly unlikely. I could be wrong but I don't think Everest is 3 rows so it would be more in line with Edge I think but point taken. 

13 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Well I kinda thought of it as the edge or explorer would be the regular version much like the escape, then the Everest would be the off road version like the bronco sport. There’s obviously the bronco, but I consider that a different segment since it has the removable roof. An off road oriented vehicle with a fixed roof and more luxuries is more up my alley. Basically a 4Runner competitor. 

highlander = explorer

4runner = Everest 

I know ford won’t do it for the reason you said, but they did come out with the bronco sport when the escape was already in the segment. And a lot of the parts/development is shared with the ranger so maybe it wouldn’t be too expensive to make either.

• Like 1

It is a unibody (BS)...quit trying to upscale the robust angle....hopefully, after initial wave ford will not have to put cash on the hood to move product...another issue is with loaded models you are in range of a heep rubicon...be interesting to see how warranty claims go with buyers (or 16 year old kids) who think you are sitting on a frame...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I like two doors as much as the next guy, but I’d rather see the effort be spent on bringing the Everest here instead. I know it will never happen, but that’s my ideal suv. 

What is it about the bronco that you don't like? Or should I ask why do you prefer the everest? The non-removable roof? Both the bronco and everest are ranger based. The everest imo is just a less capable bronco.

Edit: just saw your post above explaining this 

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

I wonder if an American manufacturer would try to field a competitor to the 4runner/GX, (both three-row midsize off-road bof suvs at their most basic). It seems like a segment that could grow with the Wrangler and Bronco being the more off-road focused offerings. An Everest or overseas Trailblazer could be an interesting offering. An Everest with even a Ecoboost 2.3L could be a torque-y little offering.

If an Everest were to be offered here, would it have to be manufactured here to avoid the Chicken Tax?

Just my random two cents, but you never know...

20 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

I wonder if an American manufacturer would try to field a competitor to the 4runner/GX, (both three-row midsize off-road bof suvs at their most basic). It seems like a segment that could grow with the Wrangler and Bronco being the more off-road focused offerings. An Everest or overseas Trailblazer could be an interesting offering. An Everest with even a Ecoboost 2.3L could be a torque-y little offering.

If an Everest were to be offered here, would it have to be manufactured here to avoid the Chicken Tax?

Just my random two cents, but you never know...

I think the new ranger is supposed to get a hybrid as well so that’s another power train it could have. The fixed roof is the big draw for me though. I have a 45 min highway commute. I’m not sure I could handle the road noise from the bronco. The explorer timberline will probably fill this role and I would consider it if I didn’t already have an explorer. I also think it will be at a higher price point than the Everest would be.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

There's a reason 2 door SUVs went away.   They're just not practical.

Coupes and Sedans too. I’ve always thought it was cost. As vehicles have become so expensive (because even the most basic car has what would be luxury features a decade ago, plus the never ending drive to make them safer) people want the ginsu knife of vehicles, which is SUV/CUV/Four Door truck. 

• Like 1