The Mustang Mach E/Mach E 1400 and Jim Farley visit Jay Leno's Garage

I liked the video too. We all like the sound of a mean ICE but that 1,400HP performance version sounded awesome!

Farley must have been prompted to keep mentioning new Ford products as he kept mentioning the Bronco, F-150, ... every chance he got. Kind of annoying when the episode was about the Mach-E.  He wasn't too talkative otherwise with mostly one word answers. Public speaking doesn't seem like his strong suit but maybe that's a good thing. Does he have an engineering background?

1 hour ago, valve said:

Public speaking doesn't seem like his strong suit but maybe that's a good thing. Does he have an engineering background?

You are correct valve, public speaking is definitely a weak area for Jim Farley. Some of his comments in the Jay Leno's Garage video are worrisome. Fortunately, Ford's PR department can take care of that problem for most interactions with the media. 

Jim Farley earned a dual bachelor's degree in economics and computer science from Georgetown University and an MBA from UCLA. While he hasn't worked as an engineer at either Toyota (his previous employer) or Ford (his current employer), he has a lot of technical expertise in many subjects. And he's a good businessman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valve said:

I liked the video too. We all like the sound of a mean ICE but that 1,400HP performance version sounded awesome!

Farley must have been prompted to keep mentioning new Ford products as he kept mentioning the Bronco, F-150, ... every chance he got. Kind of annoying when the episode was about the Mach-E.  He wasn't too talkative otherwise with mostly one word answers. Public speaking doesn't seem like his strong suit but maybe that's a good thing. Does he have an engineering background?

Seriously?  He was great. He was genuine.  He's a car guy first.   And it's not the Ford Farley show, it's Jay Leno's Garage.  Jay is the star.  And of course Farley is going to mention the new products every chance he gets.  That's the quid pro quo to having him on the show with the 1400.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

As of now, Jim Farley is CEO of Ford first. That was evident in the Jay Leno's Garage video.

When you invite the CEO to come to your show and discuss the cool new vehicle you just debuted, of course he's going to be CEO first.   Talk to him when he's out racing his GT40 and I bet you get a different vibe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, valve said:

I thought it was boring....Leno just rambled on trying to impress Farley and Farley seemed bored with Leno's thoughts. I was hoping they would at least drive the Mach E and instead Leno got in and Farley stayed outside and barely talked. What a waste of time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I thought it was boring....Leno just rambled on trying to impress Farley and Farley seemed bored with Leno's thoughts. I was hoping they would at least drive the Mach E and instead Leno got in and Farley stayed outside and barely talked. What a waste of time. 

Gotta admit though, the massive shot Jay took at Hackett at the beginning was beautiful.  

And clearly Farleys favorite word is “yep” ?

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

While I didn't find the video a waste of time, you do make a good point about the interaction between Farley and Leno. Jim Farley is a businessman, Leno is an entertainer. 

Jim Farley's late cousin Chris, on the other hand, was a great entertainer. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

While I didn't find the video a waste of time, you do make a good point about the interaction between Farley and Leno. Jim Farley is a businessman, Leno is an entertainer. 

Jim Farley's late cousin Chris, on the other hand, was a great entertainer. ?

If you close your eyes, both Jim and Chris have the exact same speech pattern and accent. 

• Like 1

Can you imagine if Hackett was there!  Jay wouldn't of babbled on about washing machines and Zenith tv executives running companies. I also love Jay's optics about how he views all the leaders of the industry with car guys/gals/engineers running the show with usually the end result better products. 

3 hours ago, kyle said:

Can you imagine if Hackett was there!  Jay wouldn't of babbled on about washing machines and Zenith tv executives running companies. I also love Jay's optics about how he views all the leaders of the industry with car guys/gals/engineers running the show with usually the end result better products. 

Ugh I don’t want to think about it.  It would have been even less substantive and way more silly corporate buzz words like agile, lean, etc or how a filing cabinet handle influenced the design of the front trunk release.  Yawn. 

5 hours ago, kyle said:

Leno is at his best when he is in the vehicle driving it and commenting about it and cracking jokes with his passenger. This video had none of that and basically showed a Ford video shown on You Tube many weeks ago. Babbling for 30 minutes outside the Mach E instead of driving it was disappointing and missed opportunity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Leno is at his best when he is in the vehicle driving it and commenting about it and cracking jokes with his passenger. This video had none of that and basically showed a Ford video shown on You Tube many weeks ago. Babbling for 30 minutes outside the Mach E instead of driving it was disappointing and missed opportunity.

I agree.  I too was bummed he didn’t drive it.  Really all they did was show that it has Sirius XM and that the gauge cluster is a screen. Riveting stuff. 

We have a thorough video of the Mach E.  We also know why Jay didn’t drive it.  The arbitrary date that Ford set for the release of driving impressions has not arrived yet.  So, the video above gets a pass although they could have dove further into design and engineering but I’m guessing Farley has no idea about that stuff.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, FordBuyer said:

Leno needs to tread carefully and not get too technical. He is trying to appeal to a larger audience than just gearheads. Even Farley had to rein himself in when he knew he was getting too technical.

I think it was a well balanced segment where Ford got their news out with it becoming an infomercial.