Ecoboost Coolant Intrusion

It's been awhile since I dug into this, but I could swear my 2014 2.0 EB Escape Ti shouldn't exhibit this problem.  Like the engine was changed after my model year.  I have 61k on my Escape.  Outside of the door recalls, and one wiring recall, I've had no issues with it.

Well, other than for some reason, the wife gets 1 mpg better than when I drive. I can't figure it out!  ?

6 hours ago, 92merc said:

It's been awhile since I dug into this, but I could swear my 2014 2.0 EB Escape Ti shouldn't exhibit this problem.  Like the engine was changed after my model year.  I have 61k on my Escape.  Outside of the door recalls, and one wiring recall, I've had no issues with it.

Well, other than for some reason, the wife gets 1 mpg better than when I drive. I can't figure it out!  ?

That's great news that you didn't have the issue. I definitely had the issue on mine, so I'd be curious to know when the switch was made. Job 1 vs Job 2 maybe?

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

Mine is Job 1.   I don't have the quad display on the speedo that came later.  The hatch piece out back on mine isn't chrome, it's body colored.  And I fat fingered that date, I have a 2013, not 2014.

That could be a key distinction. Mine was a 2014 Job 2.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 8:50 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

I sure as hell ain't joining a class action suit, since Ford stepped-up and took care of my problem.  I have no interest in making a bunch of lawyers rich.

HRG

Are you still sure you don’t want to join a class action lawsuit?

8 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Here is a question. When did Ford go to yellow coolant? Based on my paranoia I looked for some orange. I couldn’t find any. Saw that they moved to yellow. I’m at 65k and just over min level. I now have a bottle of yellow just in case. Motorcraft said it was ok for top offs on orange.

About 2 years ago according to a friend of mine. I wasn't aware of it either. 

All the Fords I've ever had came with green (old Fords) or yellow/gold (Fords since early 2000s) coolant.  Orange was the death liquid GM made famous starting in the late 90s.  I personally lost an engine due to the previous owner pouring that orange GM crap into a Ford radiator that had green in it.  Turned the entire system to mud, could never get it out, and the engine suffered a slow death of running hot.

I was happy when Ford changed to yellow/gold about 20 years ago since it's long-life, safe to mix with any other color, and doesn't eat gaskets and aluminium like the GM orange does.  Hopefully whatever orange Ford was using for a few years wasn't the same GM crap.

18 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Here is a question. When did Ford go to yellow coolant? Based on my paranoia I looked for some orange. I couldn’t find any. Saw that they moved to yellow. I’m at 65k and just over min level. I now have a bottle of yellow just in case. Motorcraft said it was ok for top offs on orange.

Here’s a good explanation of Ford coolants and compatibility.

7 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

All the Fords I've ever had came with green (old Fords) or yellow/gold (Fords since early 2000s) coolant.  Orange was the death liquid GM made famous starting in the late 90s.  I personally lost an engine due to the previous owner pouring that orange GM crap into a Ford radiator that had green in it.  Turned the entire system to mud, could never get it out, and the engine suffered a slow death of running hot.

I was happy when Ford changed to yellow/gold about 20 years ago since it's long-life, safe to mix with any other color, and doesn't eat gaskets and aluminium like the GM orange does.  Hopefully whatever orange Ford was using for a few years wasn't the same GM crap.

Premium Green and Gold are NOT safe to mix with Orange or Yellow. Technically, Gold should not be mixed with Premium Green either. It does last longer, but it is NOT an OAT like "Specialty Green", Orange or Yellow. 

This is outdated, but correct until the time Ford said Yellow directly replaces Specialty Green and Orange.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Coolants_Brochure.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, Sevensecondsuv said:

The Ford orange coolant is Dexcool, according to Prestone and other coolant manufacturers.  Dexcool got a bad rap early on because it was eating intake manifold gaskets and water pump seals on certain GM V6 and V8 engines, but it was and still is about the best coolant for aluminum protection.  True, Dexcool didn't mix well with certain other coolants but I never saw it turn to 'mud' unless the cooling system in question was full of Bar's Leak or had oil leaking into it.  The new coolant Ford is using looks an awful lot like the new Prestone universal coolant, but I have not checked to see if it is.   

In any event, the Ecoboost problem had nothing to do with the coolant.   

Edited by 7Mary3

On 12/30/2020 at 4:26 PM, YT90SC said:

Premium Green and Gold are NOT safe to mix with Orange or Yellow. Technically, Gold should not be mixed with Premium Green either. It does last longer, but it is NOT an OAT like "Specialty Green", Orange or Yellow. 

This is outdated, but correct until the time Ford said Yellow directly replaces Specialty Green and Orange.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Coolants_Brochure.pdf

That's a good resource.  Thanks for posting that.

19 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

The Ford orange coolant is Dexcool, according to Prestone and other coolant manufacturers.  Dexcool got a bad rap early on because it was eating intake manifold gaskets and water pump seals on certain GM V6 and V8 engines, but it was and still is about the best coolant for aluminum protection.  True, Dexcool didn't mix well with certain other coolants but I never saw it turn to 'mud' unless the cooling system in question was full of Bar's Leak or had oil leaking into it.  The new coolant Ford is using looks an awful lot like the new Prestone universal coolant, but I have not checked to see if it is.   

In any event, the Ecoboost problem had nothing to do with the coolant.   

Besides the truck I lost to it, I've seen more than a few others where orange mixed with regular old green ethylene glycol made a mud/sludge mixture.  This was a more common problem on GMs 20 years ago when orange first came out and people would top off their GM system with the standard green ethylene glycol that was 98% of what was available on auto parts store shelves at the time.

12 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Besides the truck I lost to it, I've seen more than a few others where orange mixed with regular old green ethylene glycol made a mud/sludge mixture.  This was a more common problem on GMs 20 years ago when orange first came out and people would top off their GM system with the standard green ethylene glycol that was 98% of what was available on auto parts store shelves at the time.

It happened to my Dad when we put a radiator in his Grand Am. We didn't know any better. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, akirby said:

This is where Farley can step up and prove he cares about quality and customers.   Extend the warranty to 7 yrs/100K miles.  Offer anyone with the problem full market value towards any new Ford or Lincoln with A plan pricing.   Make the customer as happy as they can be under the circumstances.

Could not agree more. Lost a customer who used my "A" Plan with this problem. Engine rebuilt and then failed. Tried to charge them to repair an improper repair to  the initial problem. Zone office rectified it after weeks without the vehicle. They are now proud owners of a RAV 4 Hybrid. Not holding my breath for Toyota to screw up. Had an opportunity with a conquest customer.  

• 5 months later...

TSB 19-2346
2.0L EcoBoost - Coolant In Cylinders, White Exhaust Smoke And/Or Illuminated MIL

According to Ford, the TSB pertains to one of the following 2.0L vehicles with base part number 910.
- 2015-2018 Edge
- 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ built on or before 8-Apr-2019
- 2017-2019 Escape built on or before 16-May-2019
- 2017-2019 MKC built on or before 18-Apr-2019

Picture of a 2.0L EcoBoost block with the machined cooling channel on the bore bridge.

F2GZ-6009-C.thumb.jpg.020895b38c0d9a0c7440bd1776c4b769.jpg

Picture of a "revised" 2.0L EcoBoost block with small cross drilled holes on the bore bridge.  Part number (F2GZ-6009-E) dated 15-Sept-2019 from Spain.

F2GZ-6009-E.thumb.jpg.3dd421581b1ccb659cb16600f5f49a60.jpg

One would think that Ford had ample time to address this issue after the 2.0L "twin scroll" redesign in 2015. Why it took until mid 2019 is beyond me.

My 2019 MKZ May-2019, not included on the TSB, lost about an inch of coolant in the reservoir during it's first year on the road. The Lincoln dealer did a pressure test for me, but claims it held. So where the coolant actually when is anyone's guess. They claimed the orange coolant is known to have excessive evaporation, but the cooling system is closed. Not sure where it evaporated too. My engine sticker says JV 910 AC  / VEP 293 19C05.

Does anyone on this forum know when the block machining change actually occurred at the Valencia Spain plant? 

Is there a method to identify which design I actually have without removing a cylinder head?

I assume the latest block part number (F2GZ-6009-E) is revision E. So revisions A,B,C & D must have under gone some changes throughout the years. Is this part number cast into the block somewhere?

• 4 months later...

Same issue I have 2014 Ford Escape. Engine light came on. Drove home took to dealership. Engine coolant intrusion and fused plugs in cyl. 2 and 3.  It had 149980 miles and no issues. Suddenly this happens. Dealership says $7980 for repair cost.  Owe 4500, so it sits.  Dealership refused to help by offering reduced cost since known issue or used Engine replacement. No rental or assistance in purchasing the vehicle ie paying off residual so I could buy another vehicle.  I'm going to add my name to class action lawsuit.  Ford did nothing to help.  I worked at Ford for nearly a year. Left on my own.  All I wanted was to pay it off.  Dealerships won't even give me 1000.00 and some want me to pay them to take the vehicle. Last Ford product. 

6 hours ago, Indian35 said:

Same issue I have 2014 Ford Escape. Engine light came on. Drove home took to dealership. Engine coolant intrusion and fused plugs in cyl. 2 and 3.  It had 149980 miles and no issues. Suddenly this happens. Dealership says $7980 for repair cost.  Owe 4500, so it sits.  Dealership refused to help by offering reduced cost since known issue or used Engine replacement. No rental or assistance in purchasing the vehicle ie paying off residual so I could buy another vehicle.  I'm going to add my name to class action lawsuit.  Ford did nothing to help.  I worked at Ford for nearly a year. Left on my own.  All I wanted was to pay it off.  Dealerships won't even give me 1000.00 and some want me to pay them to take the vehicle. Last Ford product. 

150K?? not bad at all...good luck with your next ride