Ecoboost Coolant Intrusion

We also had coolant intrusion. 2017 Escape Titanium AWD 2.0L ecoboost with 90k miles at the time. ESP payed for itself that time. New long block. Dealer had vehicle for about 5 weeks if I recall although Christmas was included in there in their defense. Loaner was provided for about half of it. They didn’t have any loaners when we first dropped it off. 

Lots of white smoke upon start-up after sitting. Rough idle on most start-ups and some days while driving. Mis-fire engine codes. We were told new design block was installed. 

20 hours ago, Escapism said:

What?? are you saying that is "not bad at all" to get 150k out of a Ford engine? Wow

Its been more or less common knowledge that Ford has engineering goals of no major failures on the engine before 150K miles.

The average distance driven by someone a year is about 14K miles-so the engine should last 10+ years before a major failure.  

I don't see an issue with that and saying getting 150K out of an engine before a major end item failure. I'm sure you can get more, but sometimes shit happens.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Its been more or less common knowledge that Ford has engineering goals of no major failures on the engine before 150K miles.

The average distance driven by someone a year is about 14K miles-so the engine should last 10+ years before a major failure.  

I don't see an issue with that and saying getting 150K out of an engine before a major end item failure. I'm sure you can get more, but sometimes shit happens.

Dang, I got 225,000 miles out of a 1985 Bronco ll and sold it still running. It had a main seal leak and needed a new short block, but still ran well. It was a Cologne built V6. Sold my 15 year old Taurus V6 still running like new with no drop off in fuel mileage. New engines at 75,000 miles is very sad. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Dang, I got 225,000 miles out of a 1985 Bronco ll and sold it still running. It had a main seal leak and needed a new short block, but still ran well. It was a Cologne built V6. Sold my 15 year old Taurus V6 still running like new with no drop off in fuel mileage. New engines at 75,000 miles is very sad. 

Your on the extreme ends of things-its not to say that they won't last 200K+ miles, but the target it to LAST at least 150K without a major failure.

The 2L Ecoboost engine was something new and shit happens.

46 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Your on the extreme ends of things-its not to say that they won't last 200K+ miles, but the target it to LAST at least 150K without a major failure.

The 2L Ecoboost engine was something new and shit happens.

How many would you sell with the slogan "Shit Happens"? Have a family member that had the engine fail, twice. They now proudly own a RAV4. Doubt they ever will use one of my AZ plans again. If things fail, need to be sure it ends up being fixed. And no BS run around from the dealer or zone office.

15 hours ago, paintguy said:

How many would you sell with the slogan "Shit Happens"? Have a family member that had the engine fail, twice. They now proudly own a RAV4. Doubt they ever will use one of my AZ plans again. If things fail, need to be sure it ends up being fixed. And no BS run around from the dealer or zone office.

You don't...

But it does...what about the transmission issues Honda has had or countless other problems other car makes have had with design issue with something? I can make a list of different issues over the years that other makers have had...it just seems like that when it happens to a domestic car maker and that customer moves on to another make an has an issue, they can't admit that it is happening. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

You don't...

But it does...what about the transmission issues Honda has had or countless other problems other car makes have had with design issue with something? I can make a list of different issues over the years that other makers have had...it just seems like that when it happens to a domestic car maker and that customer moves on to another make an has an issue, they can't admit that it is happening. 

Yeah, CRV for a few years was having big time engine issues starting with 2018 MY. Hearing about more issues with Subaru engines. RAV 4 fuel tank issues and my wife's 2010 RAV4 had 18 recalls. So go figure why Ford is always singled out and other auto  brands seemingly ignored and/or forgiven. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, Escapism said:

My 2017 2.0 failed around 26,000 miles. Engine was replaced and I now have 58,000 on the clock. Noticed my coolant is low. Uh-oh. Pictures of my current engine sticker as well. 

It's possible the coolant tank reservoir cap isn't sealing properly and letting water vapor out. I'd refill and change the cap. See how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this? My 2017 escape 2.0 has this same issue. I’m still under 60k miles but over the 5 year on the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. Dealer is telling me my extended warranty wont cover the engine replacement which is $8k. Are there any other actions I can take?

This is now two ford’s in a row that have had major issues before or around 70k miles.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Any updates on this? My 2017 escape 2.0 has this same issue. I’m still under 60k miles but over the 5 year on the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. Dealer is telling me my extended warranty wont cover the engine replacement which is $8k. Are there any other actions I can take?

This is now two ford’s in a row that have had major issues before or around 70k miles.

I highly recommend getting something with an NA motor. Ford's NA motors are rock solid reliable for the most part, it sounds like Ecoboost just isn't working out for your specific needs. 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

If you have a written warranty, I would read it myself in lieu of taking the dealer’s word that it’s not covered; and if language is too difficult to understand, I’d seek help, even if it means seeing an attorney.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

After the engine on my 2018 Escape was replaced under warranty, due to coolant intrusion, I purchased a Ford extended warranty, just for additional peace of mind.  Below is the exact language of what is covered under the PremiumCare version that I bought.

What does your paperwork say?

HRG

This appears to be the latest TSB, issued in June 2022, after the 2021 cut-off date.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214126-0001.pdf

2018 Escape PowertrainCare.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

31 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I highly recommend getting something with an NA motor. Ford's NA motors are rock solid reliable for the most part, it sounds like Ecoboost just isn't working out for your specific needs. 

A neighbor recently inherited a low-mileage like-new Escape that I wanted to buy, but I passed solely due to 2L EcoBoost.  Reading T-dubz’ post reinforces that I was probably justified for my needs.  I don’t mind taking some risks, but idea of $8k or having to replace a turbo that I don’t need in the first place is enough for me to avoid all turbo engines, not just Ford.  I’d rather pay a little extra on gas monthly, or make do with less power.  We may be the exception, but wonder if a significant number of buyers avoid turbo engines for fear of repair costs (whether justified or not doesn’t matter — just wonder if it affects sales).