Drivers side footwell cold

hotrodlincoln

Its getting into the teens up here in Northern New York and I've experienced the drivers side footwell area very cold.  Heat is set on high and the heater controls are all the way on the floor vents but there is also alot of hot air coming from the windshield defroster vents.  My lower legs and feet are cold when the temps get colder. My wife says that her legs and feet are toasty warm on her side.  There is some hot air blowing on the drivers side but not enough to overcome the cold temps.  Has anyone experienced this?

1 hour ago, hotrodlincoln said:

Its getting into the teens up here in Northern New York and I've experienced the drivers side footwell area very cold.  Heat is set on high and the heater controls are all the way on the floor vents but there is also alot of hot air coming from the windshield defroster vents.  My lower legs and feet are cold when the temps get colder. My wife says that her legs and feet are toasty warm on her side.  There is some hot air blowing on the drivers side but not enough to overcome the cold temps.  Has anyone experienced this?

Is it in automatic or manual mode?  Single or dual temp?  What is the temp setting for each side?

32 minutes ago, hotrodlincoln said:

dual mode - temp is set on 85-High

On both sides?  Dual means each side has its own temp.

Turn off dual and hit the auto button once or twice to make sure it’s in auto mode and set the temp to 80

Edited by akirby

I've noticed this also, but it is intermittent and I haven't found a pattern.  Additionally, I have found that sometimes it seems to get quite hot, while other times it doesn't seem to heat up enough, even though the temperature settings hasn't changed.  I had two Explorers ('14 & '18) before this vehicle and didn't have such issues.

I have another theory with this issue.  Did you check if your 2nd and 3rd row climate controls are on?  Mine were off, and my theory was that cold air from the back is being pulled in under the seats when warm air is being blown from the front only.

I have enabled the 2nd and 3rd row temperature controls to "Auto" and I will see if this continues happening.

When I first noticed how cold it was in the drivers side footwell, I checked all the settings including 2nd and 3rd row climate controls.  All were on and on High temp setting.  Feeling a draft down there when driving in cold weather, so I wear those toe warmer packs to keep my feet and toes warm.  Not sure how this is going to play out when it gets below zero!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone has had any resolution to this?  Now that it is consistently below -10C/14F in these parts, the footwell issue is troublesome.  I find that even with full fan speed, with the vent selector set to "foot", it still can't seem to heat the area.  I'm not sure if there is actual cold air leaking from somewhere (I find it hard to believe), or if the foot fans/vent(s) are just not strong enough.

Not related, but this is a very common complaint for the current-gen Ranger (nothing broken, but engineering flaw).  Driver's side lower heat is almost non-existent. Your legs are cold while nice warm heat comes out the upper vents. I know they these things in the cold and I don't understand how that made it past their testing.

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Not related, but this is a very common complaint for the current-gen Ranger (nothing broken, but engineering flaw).  Driver's side lower heat is almost non-existent. Your legs are cold while nice warm heat comes out the upper vents. I know they these things in the cold and I don't understand how that made it past their testing.

That was one of the many, MANY things I hated about that Pontiac G5 we used to have.