2020 J.D. Power Sales Satisfaction Index - Lincoln #1

Lincoln ranked highest among all brands. Ford is above average in the mass market brands category. All brands from U.S. car companies other than Tesla ranked above average in their category too. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-sales-satisfaction-index-ssi-study

Description of SSI index.

The U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study measures satisfaction with the sales experience among new-vehicle buyers and rejecters (those who shop a dealership and purchase elsewhere). Buyer satisfaction is based on six factors (in order of importance): delivery process (28%); dealer personnel (21%); working out the deal (19%); paperwork completion (19%); dealership facility (10%); and dealership website (4%). Rejecter satisfaction is based on five factors: salesperson (28%); price (27%); negotiation (18%); dealership facility (14%); and variety of inventory (13%).

Rankings.

2020076a.JPG

2020076b.JPG?itok=PzJFJToe

Just now, Gurgeh said:

What is striking is how all of the above average luxury brands are so tightly grouped. Real gaps only appear when the brands drop below average.

Just like the vehicle dependability ratings.  In the real world the difference between the top 10% and the following 85% is almost imperceptible.  The only noticeable difference is in the bottom 2 or 3.

• Like 2

Count my wife and I in as Lincoln owners who are extremely pleased with the quality of our 2020 Navigator.  Granted, I haven’t been to the dealer for our first maintenance service yet (anxious to see how they rotate the tires without scratching/damaging  the 22” gloss black wheels). 

D4321B98-C049-4E6B-A932-32B008BF22BE.jpeg

Edited by 02MustangGT

4 hours ago, valve said:

I thought Tesla had the superior buying experience with no dealer to deal with? At least this is what I was led to believe. What happened?

From a new vehicle sales and delivery perspective, Tesla has always focused on the online experience. Physical retail facilities are secondary.

Tesla's retail stores do an excellent job with sharing product information and arranging test drives with prospects, but compared to a traditional automobile dealership, a poor job turning those store visitors into paying customers. And in states like Texas and Michigan in which Tesla mostly operates Galleries for their physical retail presence, Tesla can't and doesn't sell and deliver cars at all at those Galleries.

Edited by rperez817

51 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

From a new vehicle sales and delivery perspective, Tesla has always focused on the online experience. Physical retail facilities are secondary.

Tesla's retail stores do an excellent job with sharing product information and arranging test drives with prospects, but compared to a traditional automobile dealership, a poor job turning those store visitors into paying customers. And in states like Texas and Michigan in which Tesla mostly operates Galleries for their physical retail presence, Tesla can't and doesn't sell and deliver cars at all at those Galleries.

But if the online mfr direct purchase experience is so much better than traditional dealer experiences why isn’t the Tesla customer satisfaction rate at the top instead of below average?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

But if the online mfr direct purchase experience is so much better than traditional dealer experiences why isn’t the Tesla customer satisfaction rate at the top instead of below average?

Because J.D. Power SSI emphasizes the portions of the car shopping and buying process that take place at a physical dealership. Or in Tesla's case, a Tesla Gallery or Store. The "website" portion of the overall experience is only 4% of the SSI score.

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Because J.D. Power SSI emphasizes the portions of the car shopping and buying process that take place at a physical dealership. Or in Tesla's case, a Tesla Gallery or Store. The "website" portion of the overall experience is only 4% of the SSI score.

While it's true the dealer website is only 4% of the score all of the other categories still apply to Tesla including delivery process (28%); dealer personnel (21%); working out the deal (19%); paperwork completion (19%); dealership facility (10%) and Tesla was ranked on all of them if only by a very small sample.

Tesla profiled for first time: Tesla receives an SSI score of 804. The automaker is not officially ranked among other brands in the study because it doesn’t meet ranking criteria. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn’t grant J.D. Power permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required. However, Tesla’s score was calculated based on a sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

While it's true the dealer website is only 4% of the score all of the other categories still apply to Tesla including delivery process (28%); dealer personnel (21%); working out the deal (19%); paperwork completion (19%); dealership facility (10%) and Tesla was ranked on all of them if only by a very small sample.

Yes sir akirby, the categories with the greatest weight in J.D. Power SSI are the ones in which Tesla stores and galleries are either inconsistent, or not as good as a high rated franchised car dealership. Apparently Elon Musk doesn't mind that its Retail Stores and Galleries don't do a good job of turning visitors into paying customers. He said a few years ago of another survey similar to SSI, "Tesla finishes last in being salesy! Good."

These same categories are where dealerships for the other U.S. domestic automaker brands (Lincoln, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac) excel.

• 3 weeks later...

My Corsair leasing process was the best I've ever had, hands down.  I worked with one person start-to-finish, most of the communication was via phone/email/text.  I got the right level of information in a timely manner.  All of the paperwork was drawn up and ready to go once we hammered everything out, and most of the time at the dealership was spent doing the vehicle walkthrough.  

It's been a shame that my service experience hasn't been anywhere close to what they're advertising.

• Like 1