2016 Fusion SE 2.5 L

Schpark

Just looking for any input on purchasing a 2016 Fusion SE with the 2.5 L for my daughter in college.  Was thinking this would be a more reliable bet than the eco boosts.  Is this a solid vehicle?  Are there any things I should check specifically on this model before purchase?

Finally decided to get rid of the 2003 Taurus (Tom to my daughter) due to rust and 140K miles. 

Thanks

I don't personally have the 2.5 in mine but everything I've ever seen about those 2.5s tells me they are extremely reliable.  Many people seem to be able to get high mileage (sometimes even 300k+) out of them.  They are very simple compared to a turbo engine, so a lot less to go wrong.  I would feel very comfortable with one of those for a situation where I needed high engine reliability.

1 hour ago, Schpark said:

Just looking for any input on purchasing a 2016 Fusion SE with the 2.5 L for my daughter in college.  Was thinking this would be a more reliable bet than the eco boosts.  Is this a solid vehicle?  Are there any things I should check specifically on this model before purchase?

Finally decided to get rid of the 2003 Taurus (Tom to my daughter) due to rust and 140K miles. 

Thanks

Hi Schpark. Well, both versions of the Fusion are reliable. Considering the vehicle is for your daughter, I would say stick with the 2.5L version. A little less complex.

What to look for/look out for in a used Fusion? All the regular things and due diligence you would perform when buying any used car. Give it an extensive test drive/drives and pay special attention to the transmission operation and check the fluids for proper maintenance and the trans fluid for color and burnt smell. Ask for all maintenance records. If they have none, buyer beware.

Also, these cars have a lot of tech and electronics. So check everything before purchasing to be sure it operates correctly.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

14 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Schpark. Well, both versions of the Fusion are reliable. Considering the vehicle is for your daughter, I would say stick with the 2.5L version. A little less complex.

What to look for/look out for in a used Fusion? All the regular things and due diligence you would perform when buying any used car. Give it an extensive test drive/drives and pay special attention to the transmission operation and check the fluids for proper maintenance and the trans fluid for color and burnt smell. Ask for all maintenance records. If they have none, buyer beware.

Also, these cars have a lot of tech and electronics. So check everything before purchasing to be sure it operates correctly.

Good luck.

The other option is to ask to take it to your own mechanic/technician for an evaluation which is pretty common. 

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The other option is to ask to take it to your own mechanic/technician for an evaluation which is pretty common. 

Yes that is already the plan.  Found one we are interested in but one thing came up that is of concern.  During test drive at one stop while car still in drive my daughter could feel vibration in the steering wheel.  Does this mean it needs the 6F35 "Party pack"?  Paging YTS90.  If so what's the cost to fix it, or should we keep looking?

13 minutes ago, Schpark said:

Yes that is already the plan.  Found one we are interested in but one thing came up that is of concern.  During test drive at one stop while car still in drive my daughter could feel vibration in the steering wheel.  Does this mean it needs the 6F35 "Party pack"?  Paging YTS90.  If so what's the cost to fix it, or should we keep looking?

Sorry but I can't help you with that but perhaps someone else can. 

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Hi Schpark.  Oooops...ice-capades is correct. And I normally always try to include having a reliable shop/tech do a full vehicle inspection in my used car buying advice. Forgot this time.

Just keep in mind that many shops/techs may not check every electronic/computer system. So still check all the SYNC/Audio/Drivers Aid systems etc yourself.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530