Mercedes Shows Off New Electric Platform for Vans

Harley Lover

This is a development to which Ford should be paying keen attention, Mercedes have reversed course and will sell the eSprinter in the U.S.:

(Mercedes) announced earlier this week it would begin selling its eSprinter here, after initially announcing it would not.

It appears the eSprinter will be much more versatile than first thought in terms of range and capability:

Mercedes’ new platform uses three modules to allow for maximum flexibility when it comes to design and development of future products. In short, it removes some of the restrictions electric vans faced previously that didn’t allow for certain body configurations offers by gasoline- and diesel-powered models.

Mercedes-eSprinter-EV-platform-graphic.jMercedes-eSprinter-EV-platform-details-g

Edited by Harley Lover

I recall that part of Ford's Turkey plant announcement included building for the Transit electric. Found it: "The investment in Turkey includes money to build a battery assembly facility that will produce packs for an electric version of the Transit that will go on sale in 2022."

I don't know if Ford have envisioned this much variety (as shown by the Mercedes announcement) with its development of the Transit EV. I hope this type of evolution is on the drawing boards (at least). I can't imagine Ford would have left that off the table in its planning.

12 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I recall that part of Ford's Turkey plant announcement included building for the Transit electric. Found it: "The investment in Turkey includes money to build a battery assembly facility that will produce packs for an electric version of the Transit that will go on sale in 2022."

I don't know if Ford have envisioned this much variety (as shown by the Mercedes announcement) with its development of the Transit EV. I hope this type of evolution is on the drawing boards (at least). I can't imagine Ford would have left that off the table in its planning.

They said there would be multiple ranges and configurations later but I don’t think they’ll be doing a flatbed.  I expected a Transit connect version but maybe that will end up as a VW?